Encouraging Word About Valve Adjustment:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
While I will probably get mine checked at the proper time, my local Yamaha Mechanic, (and "hero" with 18 years of experience, and works at two dealerships as well), told me this past week that he can honestly say that he has NEVER seen an FZ6 that actually needed a valve adjustment at the recommened time!
I think that this speaks highly of our bikes and Yamaha engineering.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
that backs up alot of what has been posted about the valve adjustments saying that they have had them checked but no need for adjustment

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd bet a dollar that part of the reason for this info from your mechanic is due, statistically speaking, to the somewhat more reserved riding style of legions of FZ6 pilots, as compared to similar 600CC supersports. I bet that the more time you spend in the high RPM ranges, the more often you'd need to adjust the valves.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, a majority of owners of the FZ6 don't ride their bikes enough to reach this service interval. I had mine done at 49000km's and every one of the exhaust valves needed to be shimmed. It's been a cheap bike to maintain though. My mechanic said that he rarely sees an FZ6 with 42000kms on it.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd bet a dollar that part of the reason for this info from your mechanic is due, statistically speaking, to the somewhat more reserved riding style of legions of FZ6 pilots, as compared to similar 600CC supersports. I bet that the more time you spend in the high RPM ranges, the more often you'd need to adjust the valves.

Honestly, that's how I ride(well atleast used to) my FZ6. It was my first bike and I ring the hell out of it and beat it up. It runs great, but I'm sure my valves are gonna be off when I check them.

So yeah, these engines are almost bulletproof and with a normal rider/highway miles they won't require much maintenance. However when you extract every single bit of horsepower out of them, it doesn't take long to drop a valve or throw a rod.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most who have had their valve adjustment check at or around 26,000 miles have been within specs. For those one or two members who have said that they were off, well they were probably installed that way from the factory. So were still probably batting 100%.

Yes, I have over 72k on my bike, and no valve check yet.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Will probably take that job on this weekend - closing in on 27,000 miles.

Bought a new PR3 rear to replace the PR2 which has 12,000 on it - could get more but it is pretty smooth in the center and winter and more wet riding is coming up so will take the cautious route.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most who have had their valve adjustment check at or around 26,000 miles have been within specs. For those one or two members who have said that they were off, well they were probably installed that way from the factory. So were still probably batting 100%.

Forum test bike still holding up with no valve check! :thumbup:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site

haven't done mine either, have to say the thought that it hasn't been done is eating away at me

will get around to opening it up sooner than later just for the peace of mind

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
72k? Is that in Kilometers? lol these good reviews make me rethink about waiting a little longer on that valve clearance:thumbup:

Nope that's miles, Vegasrider IS a rider

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Forum Test Bike....LOL.

Now please understand, I have paid the consequences for not changing a part out which had led to another failure.

I recently had my Cam Chain Tensioner fail, which led to my Crankshaft Position Sensor to grind away against my engine. The engine was making a rattling noise which I ignored forever to a point that I got to that I was brainwashed thinking that's what the engine was suppose to sound like.

I'm not sure what the consequences are for the valves being out of adjustment, but I guess I'll find out. It would be interesting to actually see how they are, but I'm not going to pay 25% of what my bike is worth.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid the buck-sixty to have mine checked around 27k and none were adjusted. Word from the shop was that unless I take up roadracing, they'll likely never move. At 15k a year I'll probably have them looked at again at 60k just for the hell of it. Cheap insurance.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid the buck-sixty to have mine checked around 27k and none were adjusted. Word from the shop was that unless I take up roadracing, they'll likely never move. At 15k a year I'll probably have them looked at again at 60k just for the hell of it. Cheap insurance.

1) Check: (valves not checked at 60,000 miles).

2) Check: Spark plugs not changed in over 40,000 miles