Emergency: Must read!!!!

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
READ THIS, THIS COULD MEAN YOUR LIFE: there has been some discussion about braking in general and i dont want to get into that... but rather I would like to encourage everyone to practice their EMERGENCY braking techniques tomorrow and/or this weekend. You never know when you are going to need to stop suddenly. good luck :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Make sure your tires are warm first.

Or if you want to practice on cold tires, make sure you remember they are cold. LOL

Practice is the answer to most problems.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, and remember to practice the opposite.....

SWERVING! In some cases, you are better off swerving than braking.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I practice e braking every time i hit the roads in our fine city here

LOL! I know what ya mean, try riding around Vegas with all the out of town drivers who's either lost and don't know where they're going or just simply gawking at the sights and not paying attention.

I would like to practice E braking on one of your steel grated bridges.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my riding books says that if you are going to go 120 learn how to stop at 120. It does pay to practice your braking. It's nice to know what your braking ability is.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I made a pact with myself to go to a parking lot this weekend to practice swerving and emergency braking.........after almost getting run over last week and being able to stop quickly. You can never get too good at it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very good advice, i find myself being amazed at the braking capabilities of the FZ when you learn to control it!:thumbup:

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my riding books says that if you are going to go 120 learn how to stop at 120. It does pay to practice your braking. It's nice to know what your braking ability is.

The only problem that usually comes with learning to E Brake at 120 is the roads that you can go that fast on aren't meant for stopping. :eek:

I got to practice swerving just the other day when a lady decided that she suddenly wanted some coffee and cut two lanes left to turn into Starbucks. The only problem with this idea is that I was in the lane to the immediate left of her...beside her. She noticed that I was there about the time she entered the second lane and I was figuring out how I could get past the concrete median before she hit me...while EBraking and laying on the horn. I need a Steeble!!!

Ride safe, ride often, keep your wits and your limbs.

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good call. Every night I do a practice run before I turn off the main road into my street. Usually I get to the modulating lockup stage and back off a touch. These brakes have so much feel. Make sure the road surface is clear of debris, or you are aware there is debris before you do it. I prefer the with debris approach as you'll learn more about the braking abilities of you and your bike this way.:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only problem that usually comes with learning to E Brake at 120 is the roads that you can go that fast on aren't meant for stopping. :eek:

I got to practice swerving just the other day when a lady decided that she suddenly wanted some coffee and cut two lanes left to turn into Starbucks. The only problem with this idea is that I was in the lane to the immediate left of her...beside her. She noticed that I was there about the time she entered the second lane and I was figuring out how I could get past the concrete median before she hit me...while EBraking and laying on the horn. I need a Steeble!!!

Ride safe, ride often, keep your wits and your limbs.

Yes the Stebel air horn! I got one after someone got on the two lane freeway, cut striaght from the on-ramp to the fast lane without looking (where I was waiting for her to do it of course). Laid on the stock horn, she didn't even hear it. Shucks, I could barely hear it!

Now I hit the horn and one of two things will happen. They either panic and swerve clear off the road in fear, or they wet themselves! :rockon: