Electrical question

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering if i were to buy aftermarket turn signals for the front am i going to lose my running lights or is there a way to hook them up to keep them without having to hack up the stock wiring harness . I've figured out all the stuff i am going order to go naked but the turn signals

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends what you order and what effort your willing to put into the install. You can buy the OEM connector and NOT hack the bikes harness.
As you know the front has running lights with lower output watts than the blinkers. I.e. dual element bulb.

The rear is blinker is single element only.

I wired in run, brake, and turn stalk LEDS on the rear without hacking the oem harness (what you want to do). Obviously my stalks support 3 elements+ logic. See sticky in electrical section for where to the connector.

If your LEDs have dual elements, easy to connect as its just like OEM in most cases. If single element, you have to add two relays to make a single element LED work as both TURN and RUN lamp. What did you buy? What does it do?

Last edited:

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't ordered anything yet as I am waiting to start my new job so I have money to buy everything. I was just looking at cheap eBay led signals but maybe I'll just stick with stock for now

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is another way to use a relay or solid state switch, where the front LEDs would stay on as would normal running lights. When the turn signal is active the light will turn on and off with the flasher relay. There's a company that makes the relays Blinker Genie for Run and Turn with LED Signals on Motorcycles – Custom LED

If you have breading (breadboarding) experience you might whip up your own! :rockon:

Last edited:

mjbzak

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it would seem nys is not as strict as I thought after doing some research it seems l don't need to have the front signals act as running lights if my research is indeed correct