electrical output from stator on FZ6?

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings fizzy men and women,

Anybody know how many accessories you can run the 07 FZ6 before you exceed the charging capacity of the stator? I was planning on adding Gerbing heated suit and a GPS.

I was considering extra Piaa lights on the shocks but that might be asking too much.

Bob

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I could be wrong on this, but I think at peak output (aprox 5-6k RPM) the generator/alternator only has about an amp or two to spare. So about 100-150 ish watts?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you trying to install? I saw on the website SBN.com that someone found a way to run an audio amplifier on his to put speakers on it.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
No, the regulator/rectifier module has a peak output of 22A/14.0V at ~2200 rpm. I tested the charging system a few years ago and posted the results on SBN. In summary, a stock 04 FZ6 w/dual headlight mod draws approx. 18A of system resources, leaving only 4A (52W) for battery charging and/or accessory loads. You can rev the motor all you want but the R/R will limit output, even though the alternator voltage continues to rise.

So I was about right. With the dual headlight mod you have about 50 watts to spare above 2-2.2k. Without the DH mod, assuming the bulb has 55watts of draw, you have about 100-110 watts of spare power before you begin discharging the battery.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read somewhere that at 5k rpm the charging system of a fz6 is putting out about 350 watts. My gerbing jacket liner on high will draw 77 watts, I do very little in town driving so when I do I either turn the jacket down or off. I have had no problems.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Using the formula...

amps=watts
.........volts

100watts div by 14V (approx stator output)=7.1amps

So you have about 7amps or so the play with...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I read somewhere that at 5k rpm the charging system of a fz6 is putting out about 350 watts. My gerbing jacket liner on high will draw 77 watts, I do very little in town driving so when I do I either turn the jacket down or off. I have had no problems.

Maybe, but the bike's electrical system (battery charging, lights...etc) uses a large portion of those 350 watts... Only about a 100 watts or so are available to spare...

H

HavBlue

Using the formula...

amps=watts
.........volts

100watts div by 14V (approx stator output)=7.1amps

So you have about 7amps or so the play with...

Agreed and this is the best case scenario as it will drop when you use turn signals, brake lamps and come to a stop. In the worst case scenario check the output at idle with all accessories on and this would include the flashers. At this point you will know exactly whats left; generally not much.....