Electrical: Heated Grips

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
Just purchased BikeMaster Heated Grips. All my searching on this forum has said to either go directly to the battery or get a relay. However the Bikemaster directions say to ground the black wire and attached the red to the key on switch.

Anyone else have these specific grips installed?

What's the best way to connect to the key switch?

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would personally put it thru a relay.

You can tap your trigger wire into the front RUNNING directional wire and go straight to the battery(fused).

I'd just be nervous W/O the relay, if they shorted out (W/O a relay), it may take out your wiring harness, loose ignition, etc.

Some grips can pull a fair amount of current which the FZ doesn't have alot to spare...

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
I would personally put it thru a relay.

You can tap your trigger wire into the front RUNNING directional wire and go straight to the battery(fused).

When say tap the trigger are you talking about the heater switch? Or would that be the red wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Trigger wire is from the relay.

The relay/grips will only work when the trigger wire has power to it (ie, the running light signal /12 volts), powered up with the ignition-key on.

The power to the grips will run from the battery, thru the relay, then to the grips. No chance of burning up your harness/ignition system, should there be an issue, etc...

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Cliff, do you have a pic, with the relay #s on the relay that show what wires go to where to can post?

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted some heated grips on mine when i bought it but immediately found the problem with straight to the battery is whilst the ignition is off the grips can still be left on and flatten the battery.

I wired mine through a rely and when the ignition is off so are the grips.

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!
I'm somewhat new too electrical so I'm trying to wrap my head around all the little stuff as well.
Like how to splice into the running directional wire..etc?

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted some heated grips on mine when i bought it but immediately found the problem with straight to the battery is whilst the ignition is off the grips can still be left on and flatten the battery.

I wired mine through a rely and when the ignition is off so are the grips.

Where did you tap into the power? Headlight?

Where did you place your relay? Under the tank?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you tap into the power? Headlight?

Where did you place your relay? Under the tank?

If your not naked, there's all kinds of room inside the fairing, under the black inner fairing. Heck I have a Stebel air horn under the left side (with its relay close to it), a power block under the right side.

IMO, keep the relay acessable..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you get a relay so you can slave direct off the battery, you'll have a very efficient hookup. Here is a diagram (PDF) I whipped up really quick. You'll see the associated pin numbers that are common on most of these relays.

I prefer the red with white tracer wire that is on top of the battery to control the grip relay. That wire is powered when the key is on. The parking lamp circuit is also useable but you'll probably have the tank up so why not just use the red with white tracer that goes into the starter relay. Easy...)

RobotGabe

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help everyone!!
I hooked up my grips and went for a great 1200 mile ride with them in Wisconsin...boy did I need them when those temps hit 40 at night.

I was relay to hook up a relay and hid all the wiring in the front plastic of the spedo on my naked bike. Looks great and is amazing! Why are these not standard on every bike?

Thanks again.
Gabe