Elecktrickery help needed!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I have fitted my Puig shadow lights and am having problems with the projector lights.

I have wired the high beam feed to the high beam and wired the low beam feed to the low beam and split the earth between the two.

(H3 55W bulbs)

Low beam works fine,but when you switch on the high beam,it comes on,but both lights dim :confused:

Crap with electrics,so do I need some kind of regulator/resistor on the high beam feed? If so what do I need?

Cheers

Daz.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like when both lights are on it's drawing too much current. Am I right in thinking that these are higher Wattage lights in relation to the stock fz6?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
You got a link to what you're actually working on? The searches I found turned up all-in-one universal shroud kind of deals. I would imagine if that's what you're working on, then the regulator/ballast thing is already on the lights. Probably the black box hanging off of them.

But really, when the lights dim when you turn on more things (or more lights), it means you're not getting enough current to run everything. Lots of reasons that could be. I'd check your ground(earth) and make sure it's solid. What I mean is, check the ohms between where you're tapping the lights off, and the black connector on the battery. It should be somewhere between 0-3ohms ideally.

Then check the current draw (amps) on your new bulbs. It should be listed on the bottom of each ballast. If the draw is too high when you add the values together, you'll have that sag kind of issue. Kind of like when your flashlight(torch) is about to run out of batteries.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like you've tee'd into the existing light circuits?
if this is true, I'm gonna say the high beam circuit can
not provide sufficient current to operate the new lights,
and you are probably going to run into a heating issue
as that circuit is way overloaded, you can use the existing
light circuits to power a relay controlling the new lights,
and then use battery power to actually illuminate them

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't the projector lamps using less current? Do they use a transformer? Are they HID?

It may be when you switch to high beam, (incandescent senario) it doesn't disable the low beam. That means the supply voltage might be dropping on the headlight circuit and turning into heat in the supply wire (you don't want that). Though I would imagine it would pop a fuse first. Also you could be overheating the lamp assembly and/or bulb if the low beams circuit does not deactivate while the high beam is active. You can add a relay to solve this. This is not the same set-up others are talking about in reference to supply voltage using a relay.
PM me.

Last edited: