Help with headlights

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I swapped out the cat's eyes lights and fairing for an 8" round LED setup. I knew I was losing Hi-Low functionality with this setup, and initially did not care. I don't ride much after dark. Now I have decided I would like the functionality after all.

My headlight has a single three prong connector, but there are multiple LEDs in the enclosure; 3 or 4 as far as I can tell, and three of them are on when the bike is running (I may need to go out and confirm this). The 4th isn't currently being used. Is it possible that this a High Beam? It is a generic Chinese unit that came with no instructions, I don't even have a manufacturer name. I believe it is sold mainly for Jeeps. With the single three prong connector, I assumed there was no Hi-Low functionality at all, but I have to wonder what the unused LED unit is for and how to activate it. I suppose it could just be there for looks, being the cheap junk it is. I have the unit hooked up to one or the other of the connectors coming from the bike's wiring harness. The light stays on when I flip the bar control between low and high.

Lastly, if anybody knows of a good 8" round headlight with Low/Hi functionality, let me know. I'd also like to get my running lights back while I'm at it. I think there are round headlights that accomodate all of this, but I'd like to hear of some good experiences if you've had any.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the 4th wire (brown wire?) is for a small element you'll see at the bottom of the reflector ring. I have no idea what that is for, maybe a parking light?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a picture of the unit, front and back? Hopefully with wire colors.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm...I have two of these 8" round headlights...both are installed (TS Z-400 and Cafe Racer) and the harness' are completely taped up. I didn't use the 4th wire as it only operated a 5-7w bulb. I'll see if there is anything showing worth seeing.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I don’t have my FZ6 anymore to verify, but with the stock two headlight setup, one would be a two-wire connector (pretty sure left side) and would be low beam, and the other side (right) would be a three-wire connector for high beam, but only two actual wires in the connector. Which did you connect to the new headlight?

Even the cheapo Chinesium headlights should have a low and high function. If there’s extra terminals, you’re not going to hurt anything by connecting it to a +12v source. Try all combinations of +12 and ground and see if you get any extra light.

You could also wire up some auxiliary lights to your high beam wire. I’ve used these on my dual sport and they put out a decent amount of light for the price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-LED-M...ing-Fog-Spot-Head-Spotlight-Lamp/392855760940

For running lights, you could tap into the third wire on the stock turn signals to power extra lighting. Or they make adapters to turn 2 wire turn signals into running lights / turn signals - They’re both constantly on, then the appropriate side blinks off when signaling.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay 1st keep in mind the headlight relay is not active until the engine has beed started this means the lo and hi beam voltage will not be present when you're trying to figure out wiring. After the motor has been started you can leave the key on and hit the kill switch to stop the motor and the headlight relay will now stay active until the the ignition switch is turned off.
The reason I say this is, I've heard the head scratching before and It's not uncommon when trouble shooting/figuring out headlamp wiring.

Color code for the lo beam will be black w/green tracer wire. The hi beam will be a black w/yellow tracer All black will be the ground. This is assuming you are working with wires from the original harness that supplied the original head lights.

There are 3 versions of switching for the headlamps. #1 The naked version. single headlamp (usually European) turn off the lo beam when the hi beam is activated.

#2 The U.S. 2 eyed, faired version, that used 2 separate lamps for hi and lo beam. This version does not turn off the lo beam when the hi beam is used because there were 2 separate lamps used.

#3 the modified U.S. version that has a modification that turns off lo beam when the hi beam is active so the both eyes can be lit at the same time while on lo beam, on faired models or for converting a faired U.S. model to a single lamp naked version.
This mod allows for the stock OEM dual filament H4 lamp to have proper switching to be used as a lo and hi beam.

The running light circuit will be a blue or a blue w/red tracer depending on which side of the turn signal harness you tap into.
All the black only wires in these harnesses are the ground returns.

Accurate identification of wires and how these wires are switched may clarify hooking up a new lamp. Documention of the new lamp would be very helpful.

Last edited: