eFZ6 Build Thread

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Talking about drill batteries i remember watching some car build show similar to monster garage, might have even been monster garage but it was a while back and i cant remember....ive slept since then. But anyways they were building a electric drag car and it was powered by nothing but milwaukee 18.0volt drill batteries (i think) but they made a custom bus bar and hooked all the batteries up in series. And that thing would fly.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Talking about drill batteries i remember watching some car build show similar to monster garage, might have even been monster garage but it was a while back and i cant remember....ive slept since then. But anyways they were building a electric drag car and it was powered by nothing but milwaukee 18.0volt drill batteries (i think) but they made a custom bus bar and hooked all the batteries up in series. And that thing would fly.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
Thats the same car i'm talking about!! it was bad to the bone!! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dRpAZci9m0]Killacycle battery powered drag bike's record-breaking run - YouTube[/ame] some inspiration :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to report i've made no progress wih the project...... 2 days after my last post God blessed me with a new business partner and i've been Super busy putting together my new shop and repairing vehicles at the same time... I estimate 2 more weeks before I can focus my attention back on the eBultaco....... The Silver lining is though now I can afford to buy the right batteries and motor esc combo required to meet our goal !!!! :rockon: so has anyone made me a grocerie list yet? I would love to just follow some links and click Pay Now (hint,hint JT) :BLAA:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I'm sorry to report i've made no progress wih the project...... 2 days after my last post God blessed me with a new business partner and i've been Super busy putting together my new shop and repairing vehicles at the same time... I estimate 2 more weeks before I can focus my attention back on the eBultaco....... The Silver lining is though now I can afford to buy the right batteries and motor esc combo required to meet our goal !!!! :rockon: so has anyone made me a grocerie list yet? I would love to just follow some links and click Pay Now (hint,hint JT) :BLAA:

I'll get on it first thing Monday morning :iconbeer:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you guys need the help, or if this is any help, but there's a little bunch of ppl who have converted gen 1 Miatas to electric. They have a lot of info on the subject:

http://www.evmiata.com/

http://www.ev-propulsion.com/kits.html

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/evdl-tesla-fun-think-ev-prices-58775.html

Some of the info on those sites is pretty specific to that car, but I think some of the battery info may be useful on your project. Good luck!

On an unrelated note, it seems it is mating season for some sort of owl that lives near me. Sounds like monkeys in trees hooting and screeching. And I think I have coyotes raising pups in my neighbor's back yard. Their noises come from a different direction. I live in an urban area. There should NOT be this much wildlife noise. And why at this hour? I am not a morning person... I hope your project goes better than my sleep did. :)

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Not sure if you guys need the help, or if this is any help, but there's a little bunch of ppl who have converted gen 1 Miatas to electric. They have a lot of info on the subject:

EV Miata - Electric Miata Conversion Kits

electric car parts miata conversion kit adapter battery box ev kit

[EVDL] Tesla Fun at THINK EV Prices - DIY Electric Car Forums

Some of the info on those sites is pretty specific to that car, but I think some of the battery info may be useful on your project. Good luck!

On an unrelated note, it seems it is mating season for some sort of owl that lives near me. Sounds like monkeys in trees hooting and screeching. And I think I have coyotes raising pups in my neighbor's back yard. Their noises come from a different direction. I live in an urban area. There should NOT be this much wildlife noise. And why at this hour? I am not a morning person... I hope your project goes better than my sleep did. :)

Thanks for the information, this is a forum build and any and all input is welcome :thumbup:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man! I can't believe I've missed all this!
Healthywealthy.jpg

This might be of some help. These batteries at under 2 lbs. each, series-parallel could be an answer! Shorai LFX Abuse Test | BatteryStuff.com's Blog

These are not lithium ion batteries and so don't have the thermal problems associated with lith-ions. They are LiFePO4 Lithium iron phospate and come in different ratings. :D

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Man! I can't believe I've missed all this!
This might be of some help. These batteries at under 2 lbs. each, series-parallel could be an answer! Shorai LFX Abuse Test | BatteryStuff.com's Blog

These are not lithium ion batteries and so don't have the thermal problems associated with lith-ions. They are LiFePO4 Lithium iron phospate and come in different ratings. :D

Those are pretty cool batteries but the Ah is low (36 Ah was the highest I saw), we want at least 100 Ah to get the range we are after :thumbup:

Here is their website: Vehicle Replacement Batteries for Motorcycles, ATV, Watercraft, Snowmobile, Utility Vehicle

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the AC 20 Motor with Curtis Controller: $2,700: Electric Motorsport EV Parts
I like the GBS 96v 100Ah battery pack with Battery Management System and Charger: $6,362: Electric Motorsport EV Parts
I like the Magura Twist Grip Throttle: $50: Electric Motorsport EV Parts

I think that would cover it :D

Although its sold now - this stuff does seem to get sold as New, but never installed. . . I'll keep an eye open for combo deals of 50Hp/100+tq with controller on the cheap...

AC-20, Curtis 1238 controller, and ME0709 Brush-Type DC Motor for sale

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thankyou JT !! I'm definitly going to find a better frame for this set-up !! A FZ6 frame for sure!! :rockon: :rockon:

Would a steel frame be easier to deal with welding wise? Maybe even an earlier frame before going to the Controll Fill aluminum die-casting. Or an FZ6R frame?? Not that we want the "R" gang to gain something from this.... :thumbdown:

The FZ has capacity for 417Lbs PLUS the bike. So loosing the battery, engine, Exhaust, Fuel, ECM etc, the brakes are good for our use. The downside is the engine is a structural part of the frame. :(

Thoughts on staying with the die cast frame?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as whomever welds it is good at what they do aluminum will be fine and just as easy to work with as steal