ECU Tuning Option - No Power Commander Required

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The AF1 Racing guys finished their testing of the FZ1 reflash from ECUnleashed, here's the summary:

Testing: 6th gear 100% TP step testing…graphs were the exact same except at the very redline, 12850 rpms on my machine…their box seems to have about an extra 400 revs in it.

Part throttles all looked AWESOME…no power to be gained with any PCIII mapping, maybe you could add 1-3 points of fuel just to make it a hair richer so it might be a hair smoother….I’d leave it alone, it’s REALLY good.

Tried doing sweep tests in 1-2-3 gears….all I got was tire slip and wheel hop on the dyno. Our dyno really likes 6th gear testing, ie the most 1:1 ratio since our drum is so light. We’d need a heavy drum accelerometer (super old dynojet) to really test it out, or a consistent drag racer rider.

I was able to get step testing through the 4000-7500 revs to hold and lock in 3rd gear before tire would slip and bike would hop……new ECU has +10hp at 100% TP through that range in 3rd gear. That’s a HUGE gain right in the meat of usable power. That’s all the data I could get…..I know 1-2 gears are probably the same too, and higher up in the revs too.

Then I went to blind tests…..Micah, Me, and another rider all road tested the bike back-to-back with an “unknown” ECU….totally blind, totally random…..we all picked the ECUunleashed as the one we wanted left in there, hands down. I got notes from their rides.

We could really notice the 1-2-3 power difference, and how smooth it was picking back up on the throttle, how smooth it was on decell, 6th gear roll-ons was different too….I never took it over 10k revs on the street and I could instantly tell one was better.

As you know, the 6th gear 100% runs don’t tell the full story….that’s just for people that ride dynos.

I’m going to Austin tomorrow, and I’ll bring the bike with me.

Cool project…it runs great.

Thanks

Ed Cook

AF1 Racing Aprilia / Vespa / Piaggio (main shop, dyno, internet / mail order)
699 W San Antonio St.
New Braunfels, TX 78130
Monday - Friday 10am - 6pm CST. Saturday by appointment only.
Phone: toll-free 877-626-3966 (DYNO)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet its more bang per buck than the Bling of $600+++ dollars in two cans out the back. . . :eek:

I'll start saving. . . ;)

Hellgate, thanks for the update! :thumbup:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope never did. I couldn't bring myself to spend on the invisible $bling$ when they wouldn't tell me in detail about what they were going to change. I've written them three times. A response on the first round but no response on what they would actually do/change (mainly ignition advance info). The first was canned message about all the things its would fix and that they had done an FZ6 which a member of the shop owned.

In short: they could throw a good fuel map in the ECU. We can do that with a controller and have complete access.
Ignition timing; them correcting 1st gear, 2nd gear and to a lesser extent 3rd gear to have maximum ignition advance would be a huge win. AND THEY CAN DO IT would totally wake the bike up. I'm certain Yamaha detuned it so A) it does not compete against Flagship R6. B) Joe rider doesn't land on his @ss!

Point: No one makes an ignition module for our bike and it is the biggest single hindrance to its ability to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear. Really! It would be worth it if the bike wasn't so danged cheap.

I cheated and advanced the static timing by 6.5° and run 91/92octan pump gas. With the current fuel map, and exhaust routing, the bike is pretty lively. When it hits the happy spot it can bring the nose up pretty quick. Beings its not always intentional, it can be entertaining at times. Ask MXGolf about leaving from a dead stop or passing. Bike moves along pretty well for an FZ6. Clutch ups in 1st or 2nd are not an issue either. So at the expense of $500 and down time, there is a cheap work around. The Beast option (best) would be remap the fuel and ignition at ECU level. The bike would be an absolute Hoot to ride! It would do so MUCH more than static adjustment I've done.