Dynotune time! Now with map!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well today i dropped my black bike off at the shop for a session on the Dyno...

Bike has been dynotuned before...twice. First time was with OEM pipes, that had been debaffled, a BMC air filter, and a modded airbox, and a PC3...got 94.8hp at the REAR WHEEL, not the crank, as Yamaha HP figures are quoted at. A stock FZ6 has about 89hp at the rear wheel....result, was very happy.

Then i got a set of Two Brothers pipes, so it was off to the dyno again....got 98.4hp that time...same dyno.

Well since then i have been a bit busy with the mods....shortened my Two Brothers titanium end cans by 85mm each, so that they didnt stick out about 100mm from the back of the custom single seat unit i put on the bike recently. Whilst the end cans were being shortened, i had the only Catalytic converter on my 06 FZ6 removed, and had the headers, mid pipe, and connector pipe all ceramic coated on the inside, and outside of the pipes...

This changed things a lot, and the bike has been running a bit rich ever since....

The bike is being put on the dyno, probably as i write this. I have taken the bike to a different shop this time, and as such. dont quite know what to expect in terms of a output reading, as every dyno is apparently different.

But i am sitting here, hoping that we can breach 100hp at the rear wheel this time....no cat to slow gases down, ceramic coating, shortened pipes, 98 ron fuel, BMC air filter, and Motul 7100 sully synthetic oil....

Anyway, just thought i would share...will post up a picture of the custom map, and the final reading, when i get the bike back tomorrow.

:D

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
100 horses at the wheel... I'm excited just thinking about it! Definitely keep us posted man - hope you can break that barrier

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Btw, if it wasn't you, I would have inserted the "spank" emoticon for removing the cat pipe. We're all a bit sneaky I guess :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
100 horses at the wheel... I'm excited just thinking about it! Definitely keep us posted man - hope you can break that barrier

Yep, and considering the bike weigh's about 25-30kg's less than stock....it should go like stink!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Btw, if it wasn't you, I would have inserted the "spank" emoticon for removing the cat pipe. We're all a bit sneaky I guess :D

The cat "Bump" is still there, so it looks like it is still in the mix to anyone that is looking a bit harder than i want them too! I just had the thing removed from insidfe the pipe, didnt cut out the bump, and weld a new piece into the midpipe...much "neater", and definitely more stealthy!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
The cat "Bump" is still there, so it looks like it is still in the mix to anyone that is looking a bit harder than i want them too! I just had the thing removed from insidfe the pipe, didnt cut out the bump, and weld a new piece into the midpipe...much "neater", and definitely more stealthy!

is decatting it illegal down under?

birdman2389

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I was just wondering if your bike's headers had they two smaller catalytic converters in them. I was told with the new 3 way cat system on the 07+ it was impossible to get the headers ceramic'd on the inside due to the small cats in them.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, and considering the bike weigh's about 25-30kg's less than stock....it should go like stink!

Yeah man, you're welcome to trade if ya want? I've yet to clock 900km on my fz. And yep, decatting seems to be illegal everywhere. But wolfie is allowed to - with such a power to weight, he is showing the sportbike world what a fizzer can really do! Albeit a bit of a mongrel mix :lol:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is decatting it illegal down under?

Yup!

I don't have baffles or anything in my Scorpions :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you heard my thing with the baffles out, just ridiculously loud now that the cans have been shortened by 85mm each....instant cop magnets! So i made the decision to get the dynotune done with the baffles in....so that the bike is running at it's optimum, all the time...

Hey I was just wondering if your bike's headers had they two smaller catalytic converters in them. I was told with the new 3 way cat system on the 07+ it was impossible to get the headers ceramic'd on the inside due to the small cats in them.

Nope, mine is an 06 motor, and as such, only has the one cat in the mid pipe, and no O2 sensor...so no problem doing insdide and out on an 04-06 FZ6 motor, as long as that single cat is gone! My other FZ6, which is an 07, has ceramic coated headers too, but only on the outside, and was done for reasons of cosmetics, more than anything performance related...the headers were trashed, and were beyond polishing!

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man, you're welcome to trade if ya want? I've yet to clock 900km on my fz. And yep, decatting seems to be illegal everywhere. But wolfie is allowed to - with such a power to weight, he is showing the sportbike world what a fizzer can really do! Albeit a bit of a mongrel mix :lol:

Yeah, swap, not freakin likely ya cheeky bugger....:spank:

As for my bike being a mongrel mix.....more likely it is the FZ6RRR that Yamaha never made, with adjustable suspenders, radial brakes, an exhaust that does weigh 9 tonne, a set of rearsets that dont move around more than a band of Gypsy's, etc, etc, etc....

With current gearing...-2 on the front, it is most spritely, but if i put the +2 rear sprocket back on the bike, then acceleration is insane as far as FZ6's go....put it this way, it scares the crap outta a fair few litre bikes off the line at least.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But i am sitting here, hoping that we can breach 100hp at the rear wheel this time....no cat to slow gases down, ceramic coating, shortened pipes, 98 ron fuel, BMC air filter, and Motul 7100 sully synthetic oil....

Sounds like you've given it all you've got. Hoping to see that triple digit hp number soon!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i am just waiting for Mikey (Ozzieboy) to get here, so i can go pick up the bike....

Have not got a copy of the new map yet, but from what i was told on the phone, i have got large gains in torque, and power down low....as the guy on the phone said on the phone to me "The way you have that bike set up is pretty damn good, and you have truckloads more HP at 4000-6000rpm, than any R6 we have had on the dyno"

Which if you think about it, is where it is most useful to a bike out on the roads, where you dont have the bike pinned to the rev limiter, like on the track.

The guy on the phone also said "100hp at the rear wheel, is pretty bloody good for one of these", so it looks like i might of hit the "target"

Will load a copy of the map later today.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait for dyno time! I did the TRE mod on my SV and I know I've heard someone say they don't do the timing retardation on the FZ6 but I think they do, at least on Cali bikes. I want to find it. Should be the same wire that the shift indicators look at. Maybe we can look at someones FZ6 with a timing light and see what happens when we create the same 6th gear voltage the ECU sees...Hmmmm: rolleyes:

100 back wheel will be real fun and if they woke it up in the 4-6k range your sure to have to baby sit the front wheel to stay on the ground! :BLAA:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i am just waiting for Mikey (Ozzieboy) to get here, so i can go pick up the bike....

Have not got a copy of the new map yet, but from what i was told on the phone, i have got large gains in torque, and power down low....as the guy on the phone said on the phone to me "The way you have that bike set up is pretty damn good, and you have truckloads more HP at 4000-6000rpm, than any R6 we have had on the dyno"

Which if you think about it, is where it is most useful to a bike out on the roads, where you dont have the bike pinned to the rev limiter, like on the track.

The guy on the phone also said "100hp at the rear wheel, is pretty bloody good for one of these", so it looks like i might of hit the "target"

Will load a copy of the map later today.

Take THAT r6 riders!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take THAT r6 riders!

Well, i didnt get 100hp as i wanted, i got 98.73hp! I think it can be safely said, that after having my bike on 2 seperate dyno's, and with having all the performance mods you can do to an FZ6, without opening up the motor, and going nuts internally, that i have found the "limit" of acheivable FZ6 hp figures with a stock motor....

I did get a decent gain in torque though, up about 4Nm on previous figures....

Maximum HP was reached at 10000 rpm, with things dropping away at 12300rpm...

Still, i am happy, the bike is not running rich anymore, the exhaust note is "tighter", and my bike still weigh's less than an R6, and looks better too!

I did get the dyno done with the baffles in, so it is possible that with the baffles out i could of achieved a poofteenth more HP, but i wont run the bike without the baffles in, cause it is so freaking loud with an open exhaust, it is more than ridiculous....

Will scan the map in tomorrow....it's 3.41am in the morning now, and i cant be bothered going out to my shed to get the thing.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do not mind can you post the graph with your a/f ratio? I plan to throw my wideband O2 on mine soon to datalog and then tune the fuel as soon as I have a few days off from work and I would like to see about where yours is running.

Thanks