Dyno tuned...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF... just called "cycle world" in baltimore MD... they want $316 to have my bike dyno tuned... is that anywhere near what everyone else has paid? i thought it would be like 100... 150.... what a freakin rip off.... anyone know of any other shops in the MD area that have a dyno? i have gone through the list on PC website.. most are out of business or HD dealers...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $390 with fuel. A single dyno run might be $75 to $100 but to do a proper tune takes more time and more runs, so $310 sounds about right, there maybe a fuel charge too. If the tune is done correctly the tuner should ride the bike in a mix of conditions to make sure that the dyno results translate to the street well. They should also do at least one, if not two overnight cold starts to make sure it starts correctly. Finally they should offer a free follow up if you are not happy with the results.

Are you using a Power Commander?

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no...i have a juice box... i dont think that will matter if they have PC dyno tho... will it? I just want to be able to basic idea of what im running, and know if my juice box is tuned right. but for $400... :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what it cost to do it proper. I just had mine done and they also let the bike cool down. They get hot when you're pushing them like that and it will change the performance. So it takes a while to cool down and they do it in 250 rpm increments.

If you've modded your bike, exhaust/intake then it's not a bad idea to make the motor minimally happy with a better air to fuel ratio. Yes the stock computer can compensate but if you have a PClll/Juice box you can make the mods work together for more horses and better A-F ratios.

I tried one of the MAPs they had for FZ6 with Akropovic pipes but it ran too rich. I had crummy gas mileage.

Got it tuned and now it's got 4 more horses, healthy air to fuel ratio and the mileage jumped up better than when it was new. Also it accelerates so much more smooth and linear. Oh yeah It's got more bottom oomph than it ever had.

I know the $$ amount is high. I just looked back at your mods and saw you have the Juice Box.

If you had the PClll I could send you my MAP cuz I have the K&N with airbox mod and 2 Bros. In other words you could benefit from my pain!

I think it's worth the money.

Have fun.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no...i have a juice box... i dont think that will matter if they have PC dyno tho... will it? I just want to be able to basic idea of what im running, and know if my juice box is tuned right. but for $400... :rolleyes:

No the DJ dyno work fine with your set up. nccoder is right, a true tune makes a big difference on how your bike rides. I'm not sure how well the JB will allow the tuner to make specific changes however. From what I understand it makes general/broad changes.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I'm going to be paying a minimum of $500 to get the Black Bike dyno tuned.

$360 is a good price.

If you want a $100 dyno tune, you'll get a $100 dyno tune, with the resulting rich running engine, poor fuel mileage, and stinky exhaust. If you want it tuned right, that takes more time and more money.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds about right to me, it takes a long time to do it right. If you check out your local track, a lot of times on motorcycle race weekends they have a tuning service set up for the racers that is a good bit less, but still not cheap.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how long does it take? obviously its a question for the shop itself.. but is it usually something they can do right there, in an hour or so? or something you gotta leave for a few days? someone said something about a "cold run"

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
at least a whole afternoon from what i found, but a really good shop will have it overnight to get the different temperatures from the day. Cold of morning to heat of the afternoon...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine took either three or four days, I can't remember which, I think four. The tuner test rode it for 65 miles and did three overnight cold starts. He wanted it perfect and he wanted me to be a happy customer and spread the good word.

Fred is taking his bike to the same place I went. Over on the the Buell side of the web many of the Texas members have gone to the same shop too. If you are good word spreads fast.

The old saying of, "You get what you pay for." holds true here.

I don't want to open a can of worms but all dynos, all dyno facilities and all dyno tuners are not the same, not even close.

If the shop has a good word on the street they probably are good. Ask your friends and neighbors. :thumbup: