Dyno Tuning the 1125r - Part 1, The Plan

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So starting the business is in fits and starts. Its elbows and a$$hole$ for a day or two then quiet before the next wave. So that leaves me time to research into the 1124r.

While the bike isn't here yet and I'll need to break her in first I have began trying to figure out how to get her dyno tuned. A little bit of background first. The 1125r had major fueling issues below 4,000 rpms when it was first debuted to the press in the summer of '07. The Buell engineers were there taking notes and went back to Michigan and reworked several items based on the feedback from the press. When the bikes were released in Winter of '07 the fueling was improved, but not where it should be. The factory worked all of '08 and is on the third ECM flash. The third flash worked like magic and solved 95% of the fueling and high heat issues. However just like any bike from any manufacture there is room for improvement.

Now here's the detail, the stock ECM is not programable just like the FZ's. In order to make any changes you need a device like a Power Commander, Juice Box or similar tool. Buell makes a fully programable ECM but it is only for licensed racers and the only way to pick the part up it to do so at a race where Buell's factory support program is at; think AMA, WERA, etc. And that is only after you have registered your license with Buell. Buell wants the factory goodies to be available for racers, not hot-rodders.

So I dropped DynoJet a line asking if they plan to produce a PC5 for the 1125r. I received a short and to the point reply. "We do not have plans to made anything for that bike." Well that sums it up right there....

Regardless I dropped the guys at AF1 Racing a line and ask if they can help. Micah replied and said get a PC5 and we can make huge power and get the throttle totally dialed in. I explain to him what DJ told me and he replied, "That's odd, I swear a I saw a PC5 for the 1125r at a trade shop." Mystery...

So off to Bad Weather Bikes and begin using the "Search Feature". Don't want to come off looking like a noob you know. :rolleyes: Well what do I find, a gold mine! :D The hot rodders have gone where Dyno Jet fears to tread. There are three things I need to get 1) ECMSpy - EcmSpy.com - Homepage This allows me to "see" the factory setting in graph, table and 3D graph views 2) An interface cable, between the bike and PC xopti inside - Xopti Buell Tuning Store**EXCLUSIVE HOME OF THE ALL NEW WIRELESS LINK *ALL CABLES OR WIRELESS SHIPPED PRIORITY MAIL!!!**all files sent via email.LC1 UNITS SHIPPED UPS ONLY. *additional dyno tuning available please contact. rates 3) Tuning Software BDDFI-III Tuner Software BBS • View forum - Welcome to the BDDFI-III Tuner BBS

I'm still learning the entire process but once I know the settings with ECMSpy, I can reprogram the ECM with BDDFI-III with the help from Micah and his wizard like skills with the Dyno. And all of this is only about $100.00. :cheer: Much less than a PC5 however I can see more time on the dyno as Micah has never worked with this combination before and he'll need time to play with it and understand it.

Like the FZ my goal isn't more power but better, usable and smarter power. I want a butter smooth throttle the responds to the smallest input, not a light switch - on, off; on, off.

I've proposed this to Micah and hopefully he agrees. As a tech his time is limited and as they say time is money. So I'll just have to wait and see.

What I do like about this whole plan is the unknown of it and trying to figure out new things.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like fun, Top. It seems (my knowledge is more car oriented) that any standalone or piggy back system would do what you are asking for, but like you said the tech is going to have to already know the system or learn it on your dime...... Gotta make the bike yours right?

Let us know how you turn out.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
No piece of mechanical machinary is immune to your modification mayhem is it:rolleyes: And so begins the next chapter in your cycle modification odyessy, good luck!!:rockon:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you plan any other changes such as better exhaust, free flow air filter etc?
( I have no idea how good the originals are. :eek: )

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh the fun of problem solving! :thumbup:

The Buell is a challenge, not because its a bad bike, but because it is new and there is little aftermarket for it.

There are several exhausts; Jardine, D&D, Remus, Saron, and hopefully soon, Drummer. The first three are very loud, like stupid loud, 100db loud. Stock on the FZ is 80db for comparison. Drummer makes the best Buell air cooled mufflers and they have one in prototype for the 1125r. Of the four that are out Jardine is the best value, from what I can tell, and that is only because I can get one for $399 shipped. I'd rather wait for the Drummer and get a quality product.

As far as airfilters, it has a 12 liter air box. The entire "gas tank" is the air box and the fuel is stored in the frame. I don't think a K&N will do much in this case and I like the filtration of the stock, paper filters.

So my plan is the Drummer exhaust and the dyno tune. I sure don't need any more hp with this thing!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well here's an interesting development. Micah at AF1 emails and says he thinks he can modify a Power Commander to work on the 11. (Us totally cool Buell posers call it an 11 :rolleyes:) Once he knows the brand of fuel injector he thinks he can modify a PC3 or 5 from another V Twin and make it work.

The suspense builds....

"zero minus 19 hours, 40 minutes and counting"