Dyno mapped today

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF......dynoed out at 80HP?!?!?!?!?!?! Best it could do. Is this normal? Do I have this mysterious European model I read on a thread a while back rated for 78HP. Answers would be greatly appreciated. Been searching the threads. Will keep looking.....:mad:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry buddy if I knew anything about what you are talking about which is my own fault. I am new with the whole bike thing. But I would help you if I could. Good luck with getting the answer and problem fixed.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
anything is possible, take a look at the throttle on the bike, is there a screw or anything restricting it from turning it all the way?

Mine only had 90.13 HP... the advertised 98 is at the crank, it will be much less at the wheel

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
anything is possible, take a look at the throttle on the bike, is there a screw or anything restricting it from turning it all the way?

Mine only had 90.13 HP... the advertised 98 is at the crank, it will be much less at the wheel
Question. How do you guys know what your hp is? Are you hooking it up to a computer or something? Thanks

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is still 10 horses more! Pretty sure that is not a normal variance. Thanks for a good reference point, though.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a dyno machine that uses a wheel spinning under your rear tire to determine the actual horsepower. I will post some pics later, just trying to figure out why mine is so low right now.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What BRAND of dyno were you on? Dyno Jet (inertia) brand tends to read high, Factory Pro (Eddy Current) tends to read low.

From each run and from day to day the same dyno will red differently. The dyno is good for relative comparisons and that is about it.

Here's my map, it reads "only" 83hp on a Factory Pro dyno after tuning my PCIII. On a Dyno Jet dyno that would be about a 97 to 100 hp reading. What I was looking at is the difference between my untuned run and my tuned run, that is the only thing that matters, the rest is just great bench racing BS. :thumbup:

So bottomline, don't sweat it.

View attachment 9094

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
every dyno reads different. the others may be optimistic. either way thats why they say you should use the same place for accurate readings. one place could be 80 whp another could be 85whp and the next 90whp.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of dyno was it?

Was it calibrated correctly? Some dyno's read higher than others.

Case in point:
We had a couple dyno days for a club at school. At one place Ashley's TA pulled a really nice number, like 350's then a few weeks later the car turned a low 300's. Some are set up differently.

Most people like the dyno to read low, which means that it has more load on it than others. The reason for this is for street tuning. If you tune a turbo'd motor on a light dyno to make make 20 psi, then when it gets on the street when there is more load it will be able to make much more than 20 psi and will risk damage to the motor.

There are many other variables, but I would start with that.

-bryan

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of dynos read different. Not only between brands but even the same exact one between days. There are so many conditions that vary.
A dyno plot is a point of reference. Nothing more. You baseline, mod, tune, and do more pulls. It can be used as a tuning tool, but not a "word-of-God" power definition tool.
Case in point: I dynoed my car for a baseline, modded some parts, tuned it with the dyno and saw the difference the tune/mods made. A month later (same dyno) I got totally different results. Temp, humidity, and who knows what else was different, but I got +10% change in power. The car felt no different.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What BRAND of dyno were you on? Dyno Jet (inertia) brand tends to read high, Factory Pro (Eddy Current) tends to read low.

From each run and from day to day the same dyno will red differently. The dyno is good for relative comparisons and that is about it.

Here's my map, it reads \"only\" 83hp on a Factory Pro dyno after tuning my PCIII. On a Dyno Jet dyno that would be about a 97 to 100 hp reading. What I was looking at is the difference between my untuned run and my tuned run, that is the only thing that matters, the rest is just great bench racing BS. :thumbup:

So bottomline, don't sweat it.

View attachment 9094

This is what they have.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The dyno tech seemed to indicate it was low in the polite way he asked about the bike. He seemed familiar with the ZX-6 and other bikes that get way over 100 on that machine. He did get another 10hp around 10,000rpm for top end performance, but only about 1 hp in general. It does run differently. Less jerky for sure and more of a linear response than before.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound like is was a good tuning session then. Did you get map of before and after? Regardless, once they are tuned the throttle response is much better. :thumbup:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound like is was a good tuning session then. Did you get map of before and after? Regardless, once they are tuned the throttle response is much better. :thumbup:

Yes I just need to upload them. Could you tell what type of dyno it was from the pics?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
it is a Dynojet 250i which is a dynojet dyno,,,its supposed to be measuring higher than the eddy current ones but i have never tried myself,,,as everybody else said it might have something to do with the conditions of weather,altitude and all that...

lets see your before and after charts , we could compare them with the others on the forum

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I have is the basline and final run in the dyno run file(.drf file). How can I translate that to something the forum will accept (jpg...ect)?