Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If its not leaking oil, you should be able to gently (and carefully) pry out the old dust seal and put in a new one. (DO NOT SCRATCH THE FORK TUBE).

Both the cover and dust seal are not retained with any circlips.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the replacement but I'd have to wonder about the dust seak going and the oil seal being in great shape. Would not be too hard to prize off but you do have to be very careful to not scratch the for tube. If the bike has a fair number of miles on it I would recommend a full re-build and new fork oil.

shannim

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have the same question. My 2007 FZ6 has just over 30k miles and I noticed yesterday that my right fork is leaking oil. Because I don't have a garage, the bike is parked outside year round (under a cover in the winter, I live in upstate NY). The dust seals are all cracked and brittle. The metal ring in them are all corroded. I'm hoping that the oil seal underneath just has something caught in it, but is otherwise good. How can I tell? What do I need to so to remove and replace the dust seals? I've seen something online called a 'Seal mate' that you can use to clean and reseat the oil seal. Will this work? Or do I need to take my bike to a shop and have everything rebuilt?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have the same question. My 2007 FZ6 has just over 30k miles and I noticed yesterday that my right fork is leaking oil. Because I don't have a garage, the bike is parked outside year round (under a cover in the winter, I live in upstate NY). The dust seals are all cracked and brittle. The metal ring in them are all corroded. I'm hoping that the oil seal underneath just has something caught in it, but is otherwise good. How can I tell? What do I need to so to remove and replace the dust seals? I've seen something online called a 'Seal mate' that you can use to clean and reseat the oil seal. Will this work? Or do I need to take my bike to a shop and have everything rebuilt?

As previously posted, the dust seal just prys out, there's no retainer clips. Just be gentle.

You'll have to pull the fork of course to R&R it. The Seal mate (I have two) seem to work a very good part of the time. All you need is a little pice of crap in there to leak. If the dust seals went away, that's just a little less protection for the main oil seal.

Its cheap enough, 35mm film trimmed correctly will work too. There'a a video on their site on how to use it/ how it works. You have a fair amount of miles on the bike/forks, can't hurt to try.

You can do the fork seals yourself but its a little more involved. Another member, removed his forks, bought the seals/dust seals (not sure about bushings) and paid the shop $100 to install them, new oil, etc...

So several options..

shannim

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I actually made my own seal mate out of an old milk jug and was able to pry up the dust seal and clean out the oil seal. There wasn't any obvious grit. After pumping the forks a bunch of times it appears the leak is gone, but I haven't had the opportunity to ride today to verify.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I actually made my own seal mate out of an old milk jug and was able to pry up the dust seal and clean out the oil seal. There wasn't any obvious grit. After pumping the forks a bunch of times it appears the leak is gone, but I haven't had the opportunity to ride today to verify.

Great!! Please update once you know... :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even dried bug juice can foul a seal. Leaving a bit of oil on the tube isn't a bad thing as it prevents bugs from sticking as they dehydrate!

I try to remove bug parts after every ride should they be drawn towards the shinny stanchion tubes!