Dunlop roadsmart

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
My 3k mile old BT016 rear is already down to cords :(

Figured I would go with something a little longer wearing (hopefully)

I'm in the same situation. I can't say enough good things about my BT016's, but I'm down to the wear bars on the rear at right around 5k and I'm finding myself feeling uneasy about riding a lot for fear of wearing them out before the season's over.

I've started reading threads on other tires that might last a bit longer (although I said if I got 6k out of the 16's I'd be happy). I got 10k out of the stock BT020's, and that spoiled me...lol. I never had any problems out of them either, though, so I'm thinking I'd be fine with more of a sport-touring tire than a strictly sport tire like the 16's.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have them on my bike! Superb in the rain! I have roughly 6,000 on the rear and it is nice and rounded still! It will be changed in the spring. Worth the extra money for it not to square off!!!

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Well I just put on my 3rd set of roadsmarts. Just finished up my last set at 8,989 miles, just touching all wear bars. Looks like I picked a good time to get some new tires on as its now the second day this season that its rained.

Donnie869

Bass/BikeMaster
Reaction score
www.palmbaybassmasters.com
I bought the Michelin Road 2 ??? My friend put the Dunlop Roadsmarts on his Triumph and sent me this e-mail today, I thought I would share...

Hey Brother,
I put a new tire on the bike Friday night. It takes about 3 minute to take the back wheel off. Got 10,701 miles on the rear and had 8,708 on the front. I could of put anther 300 miles or so on it, but it was getting bald but no cords yet."

I think that is awesome mileage for a rear tire here in flat, straight, Florida. The centers wear out so fast here it's SICK. Dunlop has made a great high mileage tire in my opinion.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the BT-021's and they wore quickly, I changed to roadsmarts and have a few thousand miles on them and they still look good. I was swayed towards the Roadsmart's from a very knowledgeable girl here at our local cycle gear. Great tire so far!

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone use these?

View attachment 21281
Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring Tire

In the market for a new set of tires, Have a buddy that recently put these on his FZ6. So far he has no complaints.

any advise would help

I can honestly say these must be, by far the best tyre out there at the moment for the FZ6-S2.
I bought a set of Roadsmarts when i had 4825 miles on the clock. (originals were Dunlop but not the roadsmart)
I have now got close to 17000 miles on the clock and the rear tyre is just onto the tell tale nobbles. :D

I will be buying a new rear soon but the front has still got 3mm of tread at the minimum so i guess i could get a few thousand miles on that.
I commute on my bike but i get my knee down on the weekend runs too. :thumbup:

They handle amazing wet and dry and give you loads of confidence.

garfield2k

Reaction score
Visit site
have to agree that the roadsmarts are a pretty good tyre. great in both wet and dry conditions, plenty of grip to get down low for the twisties (heat up pretty quick too). only thing is mine seem to squeal under heavy breaking (and no, im not locking either of the wheels up), scared the hell out of me the first time it happened lol.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got stuck riding in the rain last month and the tires performed great. Never lost grip...felt like I was riding on dry pavement.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I am running on 9.5k miles on stock tires. I plan on getting these in the next 2 weeks. So far cycle gear has the front for $120 and rear for $155. If I can't find a better deal I will see if they will install them free if I buy both.

wonder1

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran them on my z750s...great feel and grip rain or shine. When the "stones" wear out on my FZ6 the Dunlop's will be going on.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm no tire expert, but i've been reading alot about tires lately as i want to swap mine out soon. Based on real world accounts these are great tires for this bike. Though i'm a technology freak, and i've read these tires are heavy due to the belts used in manufacture requiring more brake to slow down the rotational force of the tire. Good/bad i dont know. I like new technology so these are out for me.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
... Though i'm a technology freak, and i've read these tires are heavy due to the belts used in manufacture requiring more brake to slow down the rotational force of the tire...

Conversely, this means that they require more rotational force to get them going -- i.e., they add unsprung weight to the bike?

So, if I change from Road Smarts to another tire, the wheels/tires will be lighter and my bike will be faster :D.

Hm..., now I really think I need to get those BT-016s now -- at least for the warm weather riding seasons.

Dennis

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Conversely, this means that they require more rotational force to get them going -- i.e., they add unsprung weight to the bike?

So, if I change from Road Smarts to another tire, the wheels/tires will be lighter and my bike will be faster :D.

Hm..., now I really think I need to get those BT-016s now -- at least for the warm weather riding seasons.

Dennis

all i've read is heavy ass steel belts in tires are hard on your brakes. Some tire manufacturers have found a way around this using different materials for belts. I'm sure rubber compounds have alot to do with the weight too.

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
I can honestly say these must be, by far the best tyre out there at the moment for the FZ6-S2.
I bought a set of Roadsmarts when i had 4825 miles on the clock. (originals were Dunlop but not the roadsmart)
I have now got close to 17000 miles on the clock and the rear tyre is just onto the tell tale nobbles. :D

I will be buying a new rear soon but the front has still got 3mm of tread at the minimum so i guess i could get a few thousand miles on that.
I commute on my bike but i get my knee down on the weekend runs too. :thumbup:

They handle amazing wet and dry and give you loads of confidence.

Update Info following my previous post.
I have had my new rear Dunlop Roadsmart fitted yesterday for my 40th Birthday treat.
I got 12,068 miles on that rear tyre and the front tyre is still on and has plenty of tread yet. :thumbup:
I'll keep you all informed when the front gets changed and i'll record the mileage done on that.

It cost £131.50 fitted onto a loose wheel.

Last edited:

smokenu

rubber side down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I put this tire on back and August and it's been great! I have had these tires in the canyons and in the rain and they perform just fine,
I havent noticed any lack in performance.. and unless your on a track (which I'm not) I'm sure no one else whom uses this tire would notice the difference in weight, picking up speed or braking.

IMO = More milage out of tires = more money for mods.:BLAA:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like mine. :D They are rock solid in the wet. I got to find that out during the recent rain storms.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Having seen all the positive feedback on here about these tyres I reckon I'll be getting a set ready for the spring.