Dual Purpose - Looking for advice from multiple bike owners.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
After just over two years with my FZ6 and over 20,000 I’m not looking at selling it but I’m looking at getting another bike!!!

I have been considering a track bike or a dual purpose.
Track bike:
Even though I do like the idea of the track bike, I won’t be able to use it unless I go to the track. At most, this could happen once per month and will include a couple of hours drive to get to the track and most likely an overnight stay.
One of my biggest concerns before getting the FZ6 was if my back would not get along with it (my back is not in the best shape).
From the last couple of years, it seems like planning a weekend free of any compromises is not that easy. Either way I’m still eyeing going to the track (maybe using the FZ6 or renting a bike).
Dual Purpose bike:
Living in east central Florida, sand is everywhere and there are trails I’d like to adventure riding. Roads around here are simply flat and straight and even though I have gone off road with the FZ6 it does not feel that comfortable and safe.
Different than many people that start riding dirt bikes and then move to street bikes, the FZ6 is the very first bike I have owned and I have no experience at all with dirt bikes.
I’d like something probably along the 250cc but I’m not familiar with any of the models available.
I test rode both a Kawasaki and Suzuki Dual Sport 650s during bikeweek 2012 which felt nice, actually I also test rode the new VStrom 650 (which I was greatly impressed with) but I do not want to spend a lot of money on it, also I’m more inclined towards lighter bikes which I could legally ride on the streets, maybe also to alternate with the FZ6 while commuting to work.
I’m not really interested in dirt bikes since I’ll require additional transportation to take the bike to trails.
So, I’d like something I could use everyday if I’d like to and be capable of riding on soft dirt/sand.

Any advice, suggestions and/or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Angel

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't speak for the track bike. However, I just sold (today) one of my FZ6's (mine) so that I can get a dual sport. Conditions out here in AZ are a lot different than there. If you know you have a lot of sand, I would not recommend a big heavy bike with narrow tires. If you don't care about speed, take a serious look at the Yamaha TW200. Fatter tires would be perfect for the sand. Enough speed for the highway to get you where you want, then plenty of power to cruise and play in the flats.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think if money is a issue then a dual sport would be the way to go, and out of the dual sports I would get a thumper "single cylinder" if I were you. For one they for the most part cheep, indestructible, easy to learn to ride in the dirt and very fun!!! Although the v-strom is a great bike you already have the fz6 and the v is also a pretty big and heavy bike to learn on the dirt, especially sand. Staying with Suzuki the dr400 is a great, affordable bike that has almost as big of a following as the klr650. They also make a dr650 but IMHO the 650 isn't worth it for hardly any extra power and more weight. As much as I like Yamaha, for the affordable thumper bikes imo there are only 2 the dr and the klr. Or if you wanted to spend some money get the Mac daddy ktm!!!

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 1994 Yamaha XT225. Great little bike, can take it anywhere, and light enough to pick it up from almost anything.

However, I really like a quote I read on xt225.com -- the secret to loving the XT225 is not to have it as your only bike. It's capable of 60MPH, but not much more, and in my experience, not terribly comfy. But, if you are riding almost all off-road, with only a little highway to get there, I can't complain.

Of course, once you have it in the garage, it'll be hard NOT to ride it a lot, and then you'll curse it and want to get another bike...

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking for my first dual-purpose bike last spring. I wanted something smallish (<400cc), cheap, and reliable. I ended up with a Suzuki DR350SE (the predecessor to the DRZ400). The DR350 is the dirt-only, DR350S (90-93) is street-legal/kickstart, the DR350SE (94-99) is street-legal/electric start. They are air-cooled (no radiators to crack in a tipover in the woods), and screw/locknut valve adjusters (don't even need to remove the valve cover to adjust the valves). It'll do 70mph easy with stock gearing, and I've been getting 55mpg with 50/50 city/highway. You can probably find one in good shape for around $1500 or less. The 98/99 street-legal models have a better suspension.

If you're riding anything more than dirt roads, you'll want to stay away from a larger/heavier bike like a KLR650 for your first off-road bike. My DR350SE isn't quite as tall as other dual-sports too.

I've got my FZ6 as my commuter/2-up bike, and my DR350SE as my around-town/offroad-exploring bike, I think it's a good combination.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
I can’t speak to track as my background is mostly dirt. However, you’ve got a great community of dual sport riders here in Florida/Southeast and would have lots to do from an events perspective. Check out Dixie Dual Sport. The other group is Florida Trail Riders. Both are very active with lots of events and gatherings. FTR is more on the competitive side and they’re also our off-road political strong arm. DDS has several annual events, but it’s much more informal with members constantly calling rides and meets and nights-out and stuff like that. There’s a wide range of dual sport activities and a wide range of dual sport models to go with each. Once you hone in on the activities you want to do, then would be the time to figure out what bike would do the job. If you go the Adventure route, you know who you can tag along with, but we ain't stayin' in Florida. :)

1093.jpg

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i recently bought a track bike, it's road legal so i can take it out for blasts at the weekend.

it's pretty uncomfortable and back breaking to ride in traffic or slowly, but once you start hanging off going aorund corners then it becomes quite comfortable. On a track you are normally only on for 20minutes at a time anyway. On the road i normally need to take a break every hour or so.

see if you can get a bike with a race fairing, spare wets on wheels (maybe not as important if you live in a dry climate), and some other goodies thrown in.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My only experience with DS bikes is a TW200. My dad's first bike was one (87 I think) when I was a pre-teen. My brother in-law just got an ~02 for like $800 in awesome condition. It is a simple, amazing machine. More adventure than adrenaline. My bro calls it the Armageddon bike. When the world comes to an end and all hell breaks loose, this is what you want to get the F outta dodge.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy had a 96 TW200. That thing was fun to ride. The big fat tire made it interesting in the mud, but we still had a blast on it, and it was cheap!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding on the dirt and still do. I have a KLR and it's a good mule but for fun local day rides you can't beat a 400cc bike. The DRZ would be the easiest to find, be sure to get one that has the button-kick starting just sucks.

Buy used and try it, if you don't like the dirt it should be easy to sell. If you are riding the sand you can drop the air pressure to help control. I carry a small cheap napa air compressor where I changed the cig lighter plug to the same one on my Battery tender so I can plug in and add air when I get back to the pavement.

Riding in the dirt will improve your street riding skills and you will have a lot of fun.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you very much for all your feedback.
It is of great advantage to be able to hear from more experienced people.

I'm eager to do track days, I just don't want to get a bike that I might only use once a month, also, I don't see myself being able to do 10 track days during the year!!!

Adventure bikes seem awesome, by the way, William you have some serious miles lined up for this year, I looked into your blog, very impressive. I'd love to have the time and availability to tag along :thumbup: Also thank you very much for the links, great information :rockon:

Out of curiosity, I went on the website of the dealer where I bought my bike and they have listed a preowned 2012 Kawasaki KLX 250 with 300 miles for $4,500. I believe it retails for $5,000. The instrumentation cluster is all electronic!!!!
I'm not really inclined to buy a new bike, actually I might not want to go higher than $3,000.

I'll keep looking and learning.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just bought a second bike, wanted something completely different to the FZ6 and wanted to be able to go off-road as well. So I got a KTM 690 enduro r with a adventure kit :)

If you're doing a lot of offroading it might be a bit tall for most people. I'm 6ft and it's tip toes for me. But shift your arse around and it's fine.
Took it offroad at the weekend for the first time and really enjoyed it and it's proper punchy on the road when in high power setting.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I can’t speak to track as my background is mostly dirt. However, you’ve got a great community of dual sport riders here in Florida/Southeast and would have lots to do from an events perspective. Check out Dixie Dual Sport. The other group is Florida Trail Riders. Both are very active with lots of events and gatherings. FTR is more on the competitive side and they’re also our off-road political strong arm. DDS has several annual events, but it’s much more informal with members constantly calling rides and meets and nights-out and stuff like that. There’s a wide range of dual sport activities and a wide range of dual sport models to go with each. Once you hone in on the activities you want to do, then would be the time to figure out what bike would do the job. If you go the Adventure route, you know who you can tag along with, but we ain't stayin' in Florida. :)

1093.jpg

Nice to know! I was trying to dig for some info on the V-Strom 1000 and glad I found that. I did ride a lot of dirt bike when I was kid (started at 6 yo) and king of miss it. Since there's no twisties here in Florida... off roading sound interesting.

Thanks! :rockon: