DUAL lowbeam Vs. Highbeams on?

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the difference between DUAL lowbeam vs. Highbeams on besides the little blue indicator on the 'dash'? I plan on driving with my high beams on the whole time. :confused:

Bassieh

Dark Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
The High Beam shines higher! So high that you'll blind oncomming traffic. I recommend you don't do this. Here in Europe it's also illegal to ride with high beams on.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
The difference is your high beams are on. What kind of answers are you looking for here? It's debatable whether they actually help during the day, but definitely don't use your high beams at night when you're approaching other vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
The High Beam shines higher! So high that you'll blind oncomming traffic. I recommend you don't do this. Here in Europe it's also illegal to ride with high beams on.

It's ugly with just the low beam on, looks like someone punch my bike in the face and he's eye-less.

The difference is your high beams are on. What kind of answers are you looking for here? It's debatable whether they actually help during the day, but definitely don't use your high beams at night when you're approaching other vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan on riding with them during the day and at night but only switching them off if I see oncoming traffic. I wanted to know the difference between dual low-beam and stock lowbeam + highbeam on.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
It's ugly with just the low beam on, looks like someone punch my bike in the face and he's eye-less.

I plan on riding with them during the day and at night but only switching them off if I see oncoming traffic. I wanted to know the difference between dual low-beam and stock lowbeam + highbeam on.

Do the dual headlight mod then. Looks much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site

The stock bike has an H7 bulb (single filament) on the left side and a H4 bulb (dual filament) on the right side. The high beam switch turns on only the high beam filament on the right side and the other filament is not used. You can do the dual headlight mod where you basically add a wire from the bike's main wiring to the right side low beam filament. Then when you switch to high beam the low beam filament shuts off and the high beam turns on. The difference between dual low beam and low beam plus high beam is that dual low beams don't blind oncoming traffic.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock bike has an H7 bulb (single filament) on the left side and a H4 bulb (dual filament) on the right side. The high beam switch turns on only the high beam filament on the right side and the other filament is not used. You can do the dual headlight mod where you basically add a wire from the bike's main wiring to the right side low beam filament. Then when you switch to high beam the low beam filament shuts off and the high beam turns on. The difference between dual low beam and low beam plus high beam is that dual low beams don't blind oncoming traffic.

+1. I did the BD43 mod and it was simple and fast. Now no one stops me to tell me I have a headlight out. [emoji1]

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
regardless of daylight conditions, having your highbeam on makes it difficult for other motorists to judge your speed and often times is a nuisance.

Performing the dual headlight mod will not only look better, but low beam performance will be improved at night.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with my highbeam on only when riding twisty roads and when on freeways during the daylight, it does help cars see you better, especially when you are in their mirrors.

The dual mod makes a lot of sense of course nothing can compare to retrofitting in dual bi-xenon HID projectors and saying "goodbye" to visibility issues! :thumbup:

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
regardless of daylight conditions, having your highbeam on makes it difficult for other motorists to judge your speed and often times is a nuisance.

Performing the dual headlight mod will not only look better, but low beam performance will be improved at night.
I've noticed this as well. It becomes a lot harder to judge distances when a person has their high beam on.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
There are a few options out there that get you two low beams, and one low beam plus one high beam when you hit the button. The most common on here:

BD43's wire harness:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

Motogiro's relay:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/37355-universal-head-lamp-conversion-relay.html

I did the latter. It might require a little more splicing than the other, but works just fine. In both cases, send them a PM for ordering details, if it's not already in those threads.

I find having that second low beam is great for widening the light projection to the right side of the road where a lot of road hazards exist, but with the stock bulbs won't get you much more distance. Higher output bulbs (Sylvania Silverstar?) exist to help increase output without further modification. And even more light can be had with a full HID kit installation. Dig through old threads for more.

Do dual lows or riding with high beams help to make you more visible to other drivers? Debatable. People pull out in front of me surprisingly often. You still have to ride as though you are invisible.

Last edited:

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't recommend BD 43's mod enough. Easy install and even shipping to the UK from the States the price was VERY reasonable

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't recommend BD 43's mod enough. Easy install and even shipping to the UK from the States the price was VERY reasonable

+1 on this mod ^^.

No relays, one wire, plugs into the factory harness.

Just keep your idle at spec's to keep a slight charge (above 13 volts) going to the battery as you are pulling a little more wattage with either mod.

+1 as well on Oaks reference to higher output bulbs. PIAA, plug and play bulbs provide much higher output bulbs are a very noticable improvement with no extra draw. PIAA | H4 XTreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70456

I'm not familiar with Cliffs, (Motogiro), however as knowledgable as he is, I wouldn't dismiss it either. :thumbup:

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on this mod ^^.

No relays, one wire, plugs into the factory harness.

Just keep your idle at spec's to keep a slight charge (above 13 volts) going to the battery as you are pulling a little more wattage with either mod.

+1 as well on Oaks reference to higher output bulbs. PIAA, plug and play bulbs provide much higher output bulbs are a very noticable improvement with no extra draw. PIAA | H4 XTreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70456

I'm not familiar with Cliffs, (Motogiro), however as knowledgable as he is, I wouldn't dismiss it either. :thumbup:

This is why I'll wait until my low beam burns out before I do the mod. I'll swap to HIDs then run dual headlights and still use barely more power than one lowbeam

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I might have to do that then.

How about HID's? What bulbs do you use?

Can't answer as I'm not familar with them.

I've seen HID's (Ruggybuggy-when he had his FZ6 down here) during the day time and the brightness as well as the color. Neither impressed me. (IMO)

I prefer to keep it simple, don't want to heat up my headlights in an oven and then wire more parts (ballasts, etc) to my bike. I'm very satistifed with what I currently have. I prefer plug and play, one less thing to fail... KISS

Others swear by them and that's fine, just not my preference.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re the voltage, with either dual bulb set up, yes it draws more watts, but as long as your idle is set normally, with both bulbs burning, I'm considerably above 13.5 charging volts at 2,500 RPM's. With the the idle set at 1,000 RPM's, you ARE DRAWING down/ NOT CHARGING the battery.

I've run heated gear (vest and gauntlet gloves during winter), HB on during the day, Steble horn (a very heavy draw), and haven't had an issue since 2009 when I bought the bike. I don't have any (except for an additional Hyper brake/tail light) LED's to save a watt or two.... I do turn off the heated gear when stopped...

Last edited: