Dual lights

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Done. :D Now people can stop telling me that my head light is out. It cost me all of 5.00 and about 30 min (clean up included).

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Far from the 8 minute record;) but glad you got it done, and the obligatory pic is where?

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
Could anyone show me a guide i could follow to do this ? i am also sick of people telling me that i have a burned light :(

I read that Biker's one is the easiest and doesn't involve any drilling nor cutting. But i cannot find a post to that guide :(

Thanks

jamesmorgan

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also appreciate a guide to this?

BD's is way more complicated than you really need to get - so long as you dont mind cutting the loom to find the green wire this job really can take just a few minutes - otherwise you have to do it BD's way.

Up to you........

The 8 mins version is this:

1) Locate the black rubber protective clip on the back of the bulb for the right headlight - pull it off and you will see there is no wire going into the top socket. Buy an electircal connector thing to go on that and plug it in and replace it all. You should now have three wires coming out of the back of the right hand bulb not two as before.

2) The one you have just added (best if you use black wire so you cant see it) - run that whatever way looks least visible to the left hand wiring loom that comes out of the left hand grip from the handle bar. On that loom - close to the forks so you cant see it all - make a cut of about 2 inches and pull out the green wire. You want to connect the black wire that you've run from the right hand bulb to this green wire - how you do that is up to you - I just cut some of the green plastic off and twisted it all together - you can solder if you want to be on the safe side.

3) Black tape it all up and you're done.

:)

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, does anyone just keep the brights on all the time instead? I was being told the same thing and then realized the brights would take care of this.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, does anyone just keep the brights on all the time instead? I was being told the same thing and then realized the brights would take care of this.

I do in the day time, bit hard on on-coming traffic at night however. The dual set up solves that problem.

Tomorrow night I am finally going to the dual set up. I'll be glad when its done, its an important safety issue.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do in the day time, bit hard on on-coming traffic at night however. The dual set up solves that problem.

Tomorrow night I am finally going to the dual set up. I'll be glad when its done, its an important safety issue.

Hellgate, :rolleyes: Of all the mods youv'e done to that bike I can't believe this hadn't been covered already, I just had to point out the obvious, sorry just some friendly needling:Flash:

PatrickS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hell, can you post a picture of you bike... i wana see what it looks like with the mods you have on !

Thanks

jamesmorgan

Reaction score
Visit site

If you were foolish enough to drive around London with your main beam on you would promptly be arrested for dangerous driving! Riding with your main beam on is just mad - I cant believe anybody would be so amazingly selfish to even think about it!!! What about on-coming cars - what about the cars you approach from behind?????? Some people are out to give bikes a bad name.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
so is having the dual light mod the same as having the high beam on? because what lamp is running on that non-lit side once you have the mod? if its not the high beam lamp, does the high beam still work then even after having done this mod?

how long does it take for BD's way?

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you were foolish enough to drive around London with your main beam on you would promptly be arrested for dangerous driving! Riding with your main beam on is just mad - I cant believe anybody would be so amazingly selfish to even think about it!!! What about on-coming cars - what about the cars you approach from behind?????? Some people are out to give bikes a bad name.

We were told at my MSF course that we should ALWAYS ride with the high beams on (at least during the day). The course was taught be a bunch of motorcycle cops. Of course we're not riding around the city here.....

I can see why it would annoy other drivers (although I can't imagine it would be more distracting than driving in front of a bike with a headlight modulator!)

I'm doing the mod because everytime I ride behind someone (with high beams on) they tell me my lights are screwed up because one is much brighter than the other (sigh.....)

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
As I see it there are 3 ways of modding you headlight.

1) best - with a BD43 wire harness, but not the easiest way

2) so-so - wire between bulb and left hand bar harness, not the neatest and most permanent

3) easiest - jumper between each bulb, but then it lights both high and low beam filiments when on high beam and there is concern that it will draw too much power

I am leaning towards the easiest way and just jumpering between bulbs because I live and ride in the city and rarely use my high beams. Does anyone have experience doing this? Has it caused any problems?

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that it is just as easy to use a 3M wiretap on the green wire as it is to jumper from left light to right. If you use liquid tape on the tap after it is also water tight. Also if the connection fails you still have your default left light only.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I recall reading elsewhere, don't do the jumper wire method, tap the wire(green) from the harness. All I did was carefully cut the sheathing, gently spread it, and and wrap the tap wire, solder and tape. Almost two full years in all kinds of weather and not a problem yet...