Dual Light Mod--Lite Version

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, so I'm still new here, and I've been wanting the dual mod since I bought the bike several years ago.

I finally did it today, it probably took an hour because I've never taken the fairing off and was going slow.

I would still recommend Gozilla's write-up first and foremost, however today I decided to just take the fairing off and see what it looked like. And instead of running a wire down to the wiring harness, I tied a wire into the left side running light wire (green and black) then brought it over to the right side and tied it into the bright light wire (yellow and black). Then I cut the original yellow and black to avoid overloading the light or anything, so now I have power from the running light wire running to both lights.

I respect that this probably wasn't the proper way to do this, and maybe I'll have to redo it at some point (in fact, when I finally put HID's in I probably will...), but figured I'd put this out there for others.

My questions regarding my course of action for you:

1) From a THEORETICAL standpoint: Does this pose a significant threat to the health and safety of the bike, myself, or others? (Namely, am I actually overloading this wire?)

2) From a EXPERIENCE standpoint: Has anyone else done this, and if so, what were your results as time went on? (Negative, positive, neutral).

I'll post a pic of how it looks too.

Here's an IMG link, not sure if the forum supports them.
photo4.jpg

In case that link doesn't work: Dual Light Pic

If I blow up, spontaneously combust (sp), fly away, or enjoy myself 10x more, I will be sure to update you.

Thanks!
Mud

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice wire and instructions by bd43 look up dual head light mod under search you will find it very professional looking and works with our cutting anything

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it to mine and another riders bike with no negative effects. It was extremely annoying having people tell me that a headlight was out on the bike. One of the first mods that was done, as a result.:rolleyes: Never really saw a down side to it.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
I did read db43 write up, to be honest fabricating all that kind of daunted me. When I get my HID's I'll do it the proper way with his write up.

Also Jman, I agree people saying you have a headlight out because Yamaha went cheap is frustrating.

Thanks
Mud

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
BD43's is a lot easier then it sounds. He just goes into so much detail (which is always better then not enough IMHO) that it can sound daunting. You don't have to fabricate the terminal connectors from scratch, I got 2 for $1 at a local Yamaha repair shop and a pack of flag connectors at an auto parts store for $2. Crimp, solder and install. If you can find a Yamaha being parted out or at a junk yard you can just pull a wire with the terminal already attached to it. I'm always worried when it comes to splicing into wires that at some point something is going to fail from the extra load.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks maybe I'll see if I can find that pin. Haven't found a Yamaha shop here yet but I'll take a look!

It doesn't have be a "Yamaha motorcycle shop." The shop I got mine from was primarily an ATV/Dirtbike shop. I went to the dealership shop first but they weren't much help there (rarely are for me), but the pin seems fairly generic for motorcycle repair shops. Just take a picture of the pin I posted below with the length and width BD43 shows (if you shrink the picture to scale and print it out that helps) and the repair tech should be able to help match you up. Best of luck! :thumbup:

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: This 'quick mod' is temporary. I'm going to buy the VS2 kit from Dev_USC and go naked with my bike. This mod will work until then, and I'll simply patch up the cut wire and see if I can sell my fairing.

Before my streetfighter conversion though I have to buy some tires...mine are worn down way too much. I hate desert riding, not enough twists and curves so my tires wear down in the middle.

Mud