Dual Headlight Mod with Relays and a schematic

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the dual headlight mod, but different than every other one that I have read so far.

I didn't trust the stock light switch to be able to handle the amps that two or four headlamps that it would power.

I deceided to use relays.

I used one for the low beam and two for the high beam.

I took a new wire from the power block ontop of the battery box. I also grabbed a new ground.

I took this hot and ground to the high beam relay #1 (NO) and then took the factory high beam wire and also hooked it to the relay, and then hooked a new wire (to the left headlamp [which is a h4 moded to fit in the h7 holder]) and then also reconneted the original right high beam headlamp wire. Also, with this lead I connected the high beam relay #2 (NC leading to the low beam relay.)

I then hooked the output from the high beam relay #2 to the power in on the low beam relay (NO). I also daisy-chained the ground from the high beam relay (#1). I then hooked the factory low beam wire to this relay and hooked the other side of the factory low beam wire (headed to the left [port side] head lamp) and added another wire to the low beam of the right (starboard side) head lamp.

So in the end, I changed the left (port side) headlamp to a H4 (high/low beam) and used the factory added a high beam wire to the left side and a low beam wire to the right side. Used the factory wires to control the relays to actuly work the head lamps, so that I only have high beam OR low beam on at a time.

I noticed that I needed this, because I took my bike for about an hour ride with my high beams on (which would be all four head lamps on) and when I got back my bike wouldn't start and I had to charge it. It was then that I deceided to add the 3rd relay and only have a max of two head lamps on at a time.

I did remove the airbox, battery box, battery...etc...It wasn't much of a problem, and I LOVE the end !!!

Ben

I attached the schematic, but it looks awefull small, so here is a link to the full sized file.

http://www.heretothere.us/fz6/FZ6 Head Light Mod.jpg

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I believe I spotted a mistake in your wiring diagram. You show the high beam relay #1 as grounded, but by your description it's connected to the battery positive. I don't think that the diagram corresponds to what you've got wired up. The diagram is set up such that the high beams would never light at all!

I'm also curious about why you have three relays. Two or even one can do the job.

I took your diagram and messed with it a bit. Here's a two relay setup using a pair of N.O. relays. Given a five pin relay (one N.O. and one N.C. in the same package) you can do the same thing with a single relay. Since space is at a premium on these bikes, this might be helpful.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
The system is designed t run a high and low at the same time. Using relays is overkill in my opinion. I just jumped the wire from the low black/green to a female spade, opened up the spade pushed it in the absent low side prong hole, uses a splice tap and it works fine.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
The system is designed t run a high and low at the same time. Using relays is overkill in my opinion. I just jumped the wire from the low black/green to a female spade, opened up the spade pushed it in the absent low side prong hole, uses a splice tap and it works fine.

Ummm are you saying you just spliced into the low beam wire in order to do the headlight mod??

If that's the case, you might want reconsider and do some reading here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/4052-dual-headlight-mod.html

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Ummm are you saying you just spliced into the low beam wire in order to do the headlight mod??

If that's the case, you might want reconsider and do some reading.

Why? It works fine with no ill effects. The amperage is consistent with no drops.

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe I spotted a mistake in your wiring diagram. You show the high beam relay #1 as grounded, but by your description it's connected to the battery positive. I don't think that the diagram corresponds to what you've got wired up. The diagram is set up such that the high beams would never light at all!

I'm also curious about why you have three relays. Two or even one can do the job.

I took your diagram and messed with it a bit. Here's a two relay setup using a pair of N.O. relays. Given a five pin relay (one N.O. and one N.C. in the same package) you can do the same thing with a single relay. Since space is at a premium on these bikes, this might be helpful.

You are right I did make a mistake in the drawing...I have fixed that now.

I know I could have done it with less relays, but I couldn't find a relay with right setup.

These three relays all fit nicely under the left side cover and are very light, so I wasn't worried about it.

I was however worried about wattage and that is why I opted to add the relays and kill the 110 watts from the low beam head lamps.

Ben

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, I happen to despise splice taps and just pushing in wires.

I solder every connection. I have seen too many times wiring that stops working at a critical time because somebody connected the wires in such a way to be vulnerable to weather and to accidental separation.

So, I won't be just pushing wires in. Also, I didn't want to have the extra 55 watts running, or in my case 110 extra watts when I had my high beams on.

Ben

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
This looks exactly like what I want. I ride home from work at night and want dual high beams to see a little better. Where did you go for the relays and what type are they? Thanks

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This looks exactly like what I want. I ride home from work at night and want dual high beams to see a little better. Where did you go for the relays and what type are they? Thanks

For the N/O relays I am using one's from Radio Shack PN 275-226 it says "30 Amp Auto Relay" About $6

For the N/C relay I went to Napa and bought one. There are two part numbers on it, not sure which on they use, they are: V07352 and AR204 About $15

On top of the relay it says " 12V 20/30A JD191E-1513 BXEEF"

I am actuly just changing to this NC relay from a 10A one that I bought from Radio Shack, I haven't been able to put it in yet. This relay from Napa has a little different layout, and I might redesign my circuit since I have the option to.

Ben

Yamamer

Reaction score
Visit site
As I posted in another thread can't you just do this?

I believe if you put a relay(NC) inline the switched 12VDc for the low and run the highbeam line from the switch to the relay this should solve all the problems and less wiring. Can anyone advise? See Diagram below