Dual H4 Hi/Lo Beam headlights - RHD/LHD mod

Froglet

Reaction score
Visit site
Reading the posts on bd43's dual headlamp mod, I realized that this had to be a UK, not a US forum - because on my FZ6, the H4 lamp is on the left, whereas all your threads refer to it being on the right.

Googling images of the headlamp assembly (5VX-84310-20), it looks like the lamp housings are bolted onto the main moulding. Presumably if you got a left-hand drive and a right hand drive headlamp assembly, you could take the H4 housing off the one and replace the H7 housing on the other, thus leaving a dual H4 dual Hi/Lo beam assembly that if wired using bd43's method would allow both lights to switch between hi and low beam without having to grind any H4 bulbs to fit into an H7 socket.

I can see 2 problems with this approach (other than getting hold of a LHD/RHD light assembly):
1. I'm assuming the lamp housings can be unbolted from the main moulding. If they're glued or sealed in place, this might not be possible.
2. I don't know whether the low beam headlight alignment would be acceptable.

Has anyone looked into this already?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Yes, the US bikes stock have only the LS as low beam, the RS a high beam only (no immobilizer either).. :(

I have the BD43 mod with aftermarket PIAA bulbs. With the additional low beam bulb illuminated, you get more light and its aimed just fine (it appears even across the roadway at night time)...

With the BD43 mod, RS low beam turns off when the high beam is turned on so you still have a factory designed light spread...

I'm very happy with my set up the way it is, others have gone HID's and been happy with that..

Also, changing the design for dual headlights for both high and low beam, the charging system barely holds its own at idle with one bulb..

IMHO, the headlight mod your your considering is not needed, nor worth the trouble... Again, that's MHO.

I suspect the difference in the headlight assembly is that in the US, we drive the right side of the roadway, in Europe (or elsewhere) your on the left side. Yamaha likely took that into account when designing the assemblies.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Yes, the US bikes stock have only the LS as low beam, the RS a high beam only (no immobilizer either).. :(

I have the BD43 mod with aftermarket PIAA bulbs. With the additional low beam bulb illuminated, you get more light and its aimed just fine (it appears even across the roadway at night time)...

With the BD43 mod, RS low beam turns off when the high beam is turned on so you still have a factory designed light spread...

I'm very happy with my set up the way it is, others have gone HID's and been happy with that..

Also, changing the design for dual headlights for both high and low beam, the charging system barely holds its own at idle with one bulb..

IMHO, the headlight mod your your considering is not needed, nor worth the trouble... Again, that's MHO.

I suspect the difference in the headlight assembly is that in the US, we drive the right side of the roadway, in Europe (or elsewhere) your on the left side. Yamaha likely took that into account when designing the assemblies.

Twin H4s shouldn't draw any more juice than the regular mod, though that still may be marginal... but plenty of people do it, so it's not like that's a compelling reason not to. But, I think both lights are molded in one big unit, not separate ones, so that would put a big kink in the plans. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall it being the case, at least for an S1.

I'd almost guarantee you're correct about the beam patterns being different for LHD vs. RHD. Typially, they're designed to throw more light to the shoulder, while cutting off sooner toward the center. a RHD right side and LHD left side would most likely throw a lot of light into the eyes of oncoming drivers. I get high beamed enough by others just with the BD43 mod and PIAA bulbs... it's amazing how many cagers have no clue in the world motorcyclists exist, and yet I always come head to head with the ones that "know" if both headlights are lit, I must have my brights on. :rolleyes:

I'd just do HID projectors before I'd bother with this idea. Better, brighter light, lower current, and probably cheaper too!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Twin H4s shouldn't draw any more juice than the regular mod, though that still may be marginal... but plenty of people do it, so it's not like that's a compelling reason not to. But, I think both lights are molded in one big unit, not separate ones, so that would put a big kink in the plans. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall it being the case, at least for an S1.

I'd almost guarantee you're correct about the beam patterns being different for LHD vs. RHD. Typially, they're designed to throw more light to the shoulder, while cutting off sooner toward the center. a RHD right side and LHD left side would most likely throw a lot of light into the eyes of oncoming drivers. I get high beamed enough by others just with the BD43 mod and PIAA bulbs... it's amazing how many cagers have no clue in the world motorcyclists exist, and yet I always come head to head with the ones that "know" if both headlights are lit, I must have my brights on. :rolleyes:

I'd just do HID projectors before I'd bother with this idea. Better, brighter light, lower current, and probably cheaper too!

Just a quick note/suggestion, your headlights may be adjusted too high if your getting flicked on low beam. I do, usually run with my HB on during the day for visability reasons, if I get flicked, excellent, I've been seen!

As noted, I have the BD43 mod, the higher luminage PIAA's and have never gotten flicked during the day or night on low beam. And I do have my headlights adjusted as high as possible so the HB still hits the street and works as designed... I do get a very good spread of light on low beams, HB of course is higher and the throw way out farther... I've tried to see the difference if on low beam, its wider/brighter, etc on one sde or the other but it looks about the same to me with plenty of spread...

And yes, I have to agree the additional wattage pull on the second HB is minimal and likely wouldn't make much difference.. :thumbup:

Last edited: