Dropped it....0 mph!!

kreed0501

Reaction score
Visit site
To Whom It May Concern: Please find my enclosed application for my "Hall Of Shame" membership card. I was stopped in a long line of cars (aka "host of witnesses") waiting to make a left turn. When it came my turn, I had my handle bars slightly turned left and gave it the gas and released the clutch and lifted my feet.....only I was in some other gear besides FIRST because I immediately killed it and before I could get my foot back down to the ground, down she went!! Thankfully, Santa brought me some Motovation frame sliders for Christmas so all is well. Unbelievably, even though the bike fell to its left side, I have a major shin bruise on my RIGHT leg, AND a slight pulled left hamstring!! I apparently gave it my all to keep it from going down! It really happened fast!

The only thing damaged beyond repair was my pride. But I'm glad I've gotten that drop behind me after 3 months of riding!! Now I can relax and enjoy the rest of my cycling career!!

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh.

I did it at work, as I was leaving. Sat in the saddle, popped the kickstand up, shot off a text message, packed the phone into the tank bag, put on gloves, and thought, "Wonder if I locked the top case?"

Leaned to get off the bike to check, and with style and grace, down she went.

Definitely know about the dented pride....

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Dropped my "new to me" 2007 FZ6 also. (The story reads better if you understand that I'm 5' 6" tall with a 28" inseam.)

Went on an "epic" 4 hour ride as soon as I'd changed the oil and coolant. Foolishly chose the uphill, downhill, narrow and "dirty" back roads along the Susquehanna river to learn how best to ride my new bike.

Soon came to a big "Road Closed" sign. Decided I needed to execute a U-turn and forgot the road was very highly crowned. (And my last bike was a Yamaha TW200 with a seat height of about 30".) As I slowed and started the left hand U-turn I was in great shape. The bike was leaned over pretty nicely and I was at slow speed, perhaps 1 or 2 mph. As I hit the center, highly crowned portion of the road I stuck out my left foot to better balance the bike, and was rewarded by being able to get my foot flat on the ground at that point. In retrospect, this was only because my bike was high-centered, and both wheels of the bike were therefore on different sides of the "downslope" of the highly crowned road, such that the distance from my footpegs to the ground - at that point - was the shortest it's ever been, anywhere, anytime. Gave me lots of confidence.

As I went past the center of the roadway to complete the U-turn, my foot unexpectedly but very rapidly lost contact with the roadway. Ultimately both wheels got past the highly crowned center of the roadway, and were effectively on the same level plane but on a distinctly downhill slope. I skootched to the left to get my foot back on the ground, but it was too late. I'd leaned the bike over based on being flat footed just a few feet earlier - sort of like a dirt biker going though an unfamiliar turn at speed - and now I was leaned over way too far to save the bike, and had no way to increase my speed since I was facing a tall wall of dirt alongside the road just a few feet ahead. So my FZ6 went gently down on the left side.

Amazing that it did so little damage. The left side bar end got another scuff, and the left side motor casing accumulated a little tar from the hot roadway. Fortunately one of the flaggers from the road construction project was just heading home, and saw me fall. He pulled his truck off to the side of the road, turned on his overhead flashing lights, and helped me lift up the bike and get going again.

Moral of this story: Don't dab, dummy! Give it some gas!

- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
We've all been there it seems. I was parking my first bike, a little Ninja 500. Pulled into my mother's yard to park on the sidewalk driveway wasn't paved, I was a newb and didn't know about my center stand yet). So I put the side stand down on the edge of a paver stone, which crumbled nicely (old sidewalk), and I went down with the bike in slow motion. Luckily nobody was around in my neighborhood to see me, but boy it hurt right in the pride. and the left foot peg bruised my heel (I was wearing :spank:running shoes at the time:ban:)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Your "membership card" is in the mail. I learned via the pulled hamstring to just let it go. Repairing plastic hurts much less than the hamstring.

Sliders-smart!

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
i dropped mine or more so lowered it (when i had it ) in a car-park at virtual standstill ... snapped front brake lever and it s amazing the amount of people just sitting there watching you ... possibly expecting you to turn green n pick it up with some sort of ease ... whilst still watching but doing nothing ...

Hall of shame is not a hard one to get into with bikes welcome to the hall :thumbup:

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
Dropped mine right after changing the oil and degrease/relubing the chain. Still wasn't used to the weight, took it of the center stand wheel turned and used all my strength to slow it down almost kept it too but then i slipped and fell on the bike... when I fell the bike was about half an inch off the ground, if that. Surprisingly the bike had zero damage (not even a scuffed mirror, but my shins had some scratches.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh.

I did it at work, as I was leaving. Sat in the saddle, popped the kickstand up, shot off a text message, packed the phone into the tank bag, put on gloves, and thought, "Wonder if I locked the top case?"

Leaned to get off the bike to check, and with style and grace, down she went.

Definitely know about the dented pride....

Texting is not only bad behind the wheel, but behind the handlebars as well.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
My first drop occured a few days after receiving my first bike 2008 Fz6 with only 6000 miles. Whe was perfect and looked like always garage kept, not a scratch on her. I have to park my bike on the side of the house and decided to try out the center stand, because the guy at the shop was nice enough to show me how it worked earlier in the day. I get the bike up on the stand nice an easy, great that was easy.

so when I go to leave I'm still standing on the left side of the bike just as he showed me at the shop hand on the clutch and other hand on the rear grab rail. I rock it forward and it starts to roll forward, where I promptly realize I don't have brake control. I reach for the front brake but it's already tipping into a concrete wall. I gently lower her into the wall and only the right side mirror and windshield took any damage. I didn't care about the windshield as I'd already ordered my MRA screen, and the scuff on the mirror was hardly noticeable.

Lesson learned, sit on the dam bike to get it off the centerstand.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Club!!! Most of us on here have dropped a bike one time or another. It is painful hurting our own pride!:eek: When it comes time to sell your bike, though...remember to blame the drop on the PO....he's got to be the clumsiest person on craigslist!!:D

Will6196

Reaction score
Visit site
Texting is not only bad behind the wheel, but behind the handlebars as well.

Hahah made me think of this video I saw a while back, dude texting riding his bike down the highway

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59eMpWsyNE]Texting on a Motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]

Will6196

Reaction score
Visit site
Back on subject...think almost all of us have been there at one time or another. My first bike ex500 took a beating. Anything from putting the kickstand down on my gravel road to trying to do a U turn and not being familiar with the weight at slow speed. When I got back into riding I got a dual sport for that exact reason!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Never dropped the fizzer, however I did drop my beginner gs500 3 times over a year ago. Once in a parking lot practicing slow maneuvers. Not sure exactly what happened, but I think when I was making a very slow left u-turn I grabbed the front brake causing the bike and me to fall to my right. A few scratches on the gs and me, and bent the hell out of the brake lever. The other 2 times were in my garage when I was taking it off the center stand. Both times I left the side stand down and it smashed into my foot and fell over on the right side. Not only did I suffer the embarrassment of two 0 mph drops, but that damn side stand gave me a major limp for days both times! LOL Every time I take the fizzer off the center stand I think of my left foot....hahaha....

TheBrianJames

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't drop my bike and I could not be mad at the person who did it. i was parked in the driveway and my grandma tried to move the bike, which basically just consisted of pushing it forward off the kick stand. After making sure she was alright I just stared at the scratches and broken plastic......

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the club. My first drop was my Ninja 250, stopped at the top of my driveway to pick up the paper, leaned over instead of putting the kickstand down and getting off. Paid the price of pride and a broken foot. Worse I made the mistake of telling coworkers what I did. For a while I was the safety poster child!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep...welcome to the club! The bike is insured...the damage to the pride is permanent.

I was moving my fizzer to the other side of the house...taking the shortcut across the back yard. A little downhill, then a left and done. Friggin cinch bugs or aphids or whatever else eats the roots of the grass! I am nearing the end of the downhill, going REALLY slow....touch the front brake and a piece of the lawn detaches, washing out the front tire. I go down into a barrel roll and pop back to my feet, fizzer prone in front of me. I slowly raise my head above the level of the hedges that rim the yard, making certain that I was not seen. The coast is clear....I pick the bike up and continue my journey, a little wiser about lawn care :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Likely foolish on my part to say anything at this point - as my best effort at dumping her hasn't been successful thus far! Season #3 will be here soon and I'll have more opportunities! :eek:

I've had 3 nose washouts at speed, the tail out numerous times, a few stalls, leaves and gravel sliding both ends - but last year in parking lot was DAMN close! After 300 miles we stop for break, wonder about taking pictures and stretching, hop on bike and with bars turned sharp to avoid obstacles take off only to do a 2nd gear stall. Pull clutch in FAST but the bike was in motion headed to the ground so I planted my foot twice in what seemed to be a good hopping motion (didn't break any of my parts thankfully) and with sigh of relief we we're both upright in the end. It was close tho.

- membership denied thus far and Fingers crossed in 2013!

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
My first drop occured a few days after receiving my first bike 2008 Fz6 with only 6000 miles. Whe was perfect and looked like always garage kept, not a scratch on her. I have to park my bike on the side of the house and decided to try out the center stand, because the guy at the shop was nice enough to show me how it worked earlier in the day. I get the bike up on the stand nice an easy, great that was easy.

so when I go to leave I'm still standing on the left side of the bike just as he showed me at the shop hand on the clutch and other hand on the rear grab rail. I rock it forward and it starts to roll forward, where I promptly realize I don't have brake control. I reach for the front brake but it's already tipping into a concrete wall. I gently lower her into the wall and only the right side mirror and windshield took any damage. I didn't care about the windshield as I'd already ordered my MRA screen, and the scuff on the mirror was hardly noticeable.

Lesson learned, sit on the dam bike to get it off the centerstand.

Yeah, I'm short 5'6" and i took the bike off the center stand in my garage. I was on the left side, and it flopped to the right immediately!! Broke the right side mirror. Lucky for me, another forum member was selling that part for cheap! Next time, I'll be on the bike from the center stand! I've had other low/no speed drops, but that one seems the worst! Next mod is a shaved seat from Spencer in FLA.