Drive stander?

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Do I really need to know how to drive stander to be able to drive a motorcycle? how hard it is to learn?

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean standard, as in a manual transmission?

Probably not, but the mechanics are similar so it helps if you already know how to use a clutch, even though the motions are opposite (shift with your foot, clutch with your hand on a motorcycle). The FZ6 is a 6 speed manual like most sport bikes.

Very few "automatic" motorcycles out there...definitely will need to learn how to drive with a motorcycle clutch on an FZ6. I think those 3 wheeled things have an automatic option...

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and it's not hard to learn at all. Take a motorcycle safety course, here in PA it starts with how to get onto a motorcycle and trains you until you can pass your licensing exam!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Driving a standard is a little different on a bike than a car because of the constant mesh transmission on a bike as apposed to a car.Also there are bikes now with DCT (Dual Clutch Technology) which might be a good first bike that you could ride right away and learn as a manual tranny on your own terms.

2012 Honda NC700X First Look - Motorcycle USA

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not necessary, but not a bad idea to understand what a clutch does. If you stall a car learning how a clutch works, you restart and try again. On a bike, if you stall, you can drop the bike on yourself, especially if the bars are turned. Just pull the clutch in quickly if you stall and you'll be OK. Good luck

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone!!! I will lookup more into how a manual transmission works and definitely would look into driving classes!:rockon:

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Definately take the MSF course. We spent the first hour getting used to the "friction zone" on the provided bikes, so you'll pick up the clutch process pretty well. You'd do as many "engage / disengage" cycles as you'd do in a month of normal riding. You'll also get used to shifting as there's a lot of exercises where you're going back and forth between 1st and 2nd gear.

To be honest, my biggest "fear" going into the class was being able to coordinate the shifting process, as I just couldn't picture it in my head (having driven a stick-shift car for 20 years). Once I was in the class, I was so excited to be there that I forgot that I was nervous about learning how to shift a bike, and before I knew it, I had already been doing it. That night I had no problem practicing in my head how to coordinate the hands and feet.

So while the "theory" of driving a manual is helpful, just in understanding when and why the bike will start to move forward, I don't think it's necessary. IIRC, at least 2 people in my MSF course said they had never driven a stick shift. (One of which was a 60+ year old woman who ended up kicking everyone's ass in the "figure-8 box")

If it helps, I walked into the MSF class having never sat on a motorcycle before, and came out feeling like I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing. I bought a bike 2 weeks later and have been loving it ever since.

FZ6PURPLE

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I really needed some confidence send to me since I haven't ride a bike in my life, drive manual or own a motorcycle, but I would really like to learn and hopefully get me a bike. I am a petite woman so it scares me a bit not to be able to handle a bike!!!

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the MSF course and in 3 months take the advanced MSF course you'll learn a lot, I was in the same boat I'm no stellar rider but I've come along way from day one especially thanks to MSF course plus you get. 15% discount at cycle gear with that :)

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Take the MSF course and in 3 months take the advanced MSF course you'll learn a lot, I was in the same boat I'm no stellar rider but I've come along way from day one especially thanks to MSF course plus you get. 15% discount at cycle gear with that :)

I will have to find out about that one. I have been shopping at Cycle gear for many years without that knowledge.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, FZ6PURPLE. :) I'm not so great at driving a standard car, just can't get the hang of operating three pedals when I have only two feet. :( But I do fine on a motorcycle. It really is way different. I'll bet you can do it too, especially if you get some proper training.