drive chain puller wrong in service manual

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a copy of the service manual for my '08 FZ6 but it shows the wrong type of drive chain puller. I have this style

146_0612_05_z%2B2006_yamaha_fz6%2Bswingarm.jpg

but the manual shows this
[edit: image removed Admin team]

Do I have the wrong manual?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I am the OP I guess I can change the topic a little ;)

I am looking at the service manual because I got a new rear tire and removed the rear wheel to get the new tire mounted/balanced. Now that I have the wheel off it seem like I have easier access to the chain so I am thinking that I should clean it before putting the wheel back on.

Does the whole chain come off easy by removing the front sprocket cover? Also I was thinking about cleaning the rear axle too. Can I use WD40 on the rear axle just like I do with the chain? and once the axle is cleaned I should apply a light coat of Lithium Grease , right?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I am the OP I guess I can change the topic a little ;)

I am looking at the service manual because I got a new rear tire and removed the rear wheel to get the new tire mounted/balanced. Now that I have the wheel off it seem like I have easier access to the chain so I am thinking that I should clean it before putting the wheel back on.

Does the whole chain come off easy by removing the front sprocket cover? Also I was thinking about cleaning the rear axle too. Can I use WD40 on the rear axle just like I do with the chain? and once the axle is cleaned I should apply a light coat of Lithium Grease , right?
If it's a continuous chain (stock one is), you'll have to remove the swingarm to get it completely off the bike. If it's not, you'll have to find the master link or clip. All depends on the type of chain you have on there.

I think WD40 would be fine if you don't have any other cleaner around. And yes to the grease!

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
it is the stock chain and Im not brave enough to remove the entire swing arm... I am out of WD40 so I was going to pick some more up. Since I'm going to the store is there a better cleaner that I could use?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
For the last year, I've been using this
1008_stcp_01_z+new_dupont_degreaser_for_chains_and_sprockets+dupont_motorcycle_degreaser.jpg

Which worked well, got the job done, but I'm almost out of it. I recently picked up a jug of kerosene to clean parts and the chain. It works really well.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the last year, I've been using this
1008_stcp_01_z+new_dupont_degreaser_for_chains_and_sprockets+dupont_motorcycle_degreaser.jpg

Which worked well, got the job done, but I'm almost out of it. I recently picked up a jug of kerosene to clean parts and the chain. It works really well.
+1 on the kerosene, it does a great job.

Neil

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a copy of the service manual for my '08 FZ6 but it shows the wrong type of drive chain puller.

I had the same problem. The 2007 FZ6 service manual I downloaded from Boneman's site seems to include some pre-2007 information. For example, as you noted, the drive chain adjuster/"puller" is from the S1 models of 2004 to 2006. Seems odd, but Yamaha simply didn't update their service manuals right away, even after a major set of changes to the FZ6!?!?!?
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.