Drilling the exhaust ?

mfhmme75

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of drilling the exhaust for better sound, first of all, is it better sound ? what is the consequences on the bike's performance? Anyone have done it ? Please help :(

I was thinking of drilling the exhaust for better sound, first of all, is it better sound ? what is the consequences on the bike's performance? Anyone have done it ? Please help :(

As far as "better sound" that's up to you and what your idea of better is. It does make it a little louder, and changes the tone but like i said, "better" is up to you. And there are no consequences of performance by doing this, it won't hurt a thing, and won't change a thing other than sound. If you do a search you'll see dozens of post on this same thing, and dozens of videos on YouTube of just what it sounds like.

I know aftermarket exhausts are expensive, but they make the bike sound goooooooood in my opinion. I love my Two Brothers exhaust. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Though, you can check into the Leo Vince exhausts as they are quite a bit cheaper than Two Bros.

Agreed with what's been said so far. Hit up some youtube vidoes. Or better yet, if you have any bikes around you with modified exhausts, ask them if you can take a look and listen.

You could always start cheap and drill your stock exhaust and see how you like it. If you don't, then you can upgrade to an aftermarket solution.

I have done this to my standard exhaust as i was unable to afford an exhaust at first. it changed the tone of the exhaust a tiny bit and didnt really improve the noise level untill you was on the revs. so its easy and free to do, but you will gain next to nothing in response. i saved hard to buy an exhaust system as there is no comparrison.

I drilled myn out, It lasted a week before I bought the two bros exhaust..It sounds annoying more than anything..I don't recommend it..My two cent's..But enjoy man!

I have drilled exhausts on my bike. Here is a video of what it sounds like (Of course the camera doesn't capture the sound accurately as compared to real life). [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xReGNhEtDV0"]Drilled Stock Exhaust[/ame]When you are money conscious and not into having an obnoxiously loud bike, doing this mod for free vs $500 for an aftermarket system seems like a no brainer. I actually had a Scorpion exhaust for a while but it was too loud for my tastes without the baffles (Although I'll admit it sounded incredible). It was better sounding than the drilled exhaust with the baffles installed but only marginally. So I sold it and went back to my drilled stock exhaust. I painted the exhaust cover black since the video was taken which makes it look much better IMO.

If you are thinking of doing this mod, note that the larger the hole gets, the louder the sound gets exponentially. So drilling a 3/4" vs a 13/16" hole as I did will have noticeably quieter results. I believe 7/8" is the largest you can go before the bit is bigger than the muffler openings.

Last edited:
Wow guys thank you, btw i had my frat crash today... Oil on the street and a car used the brakes infront of me, i used the brakes too and it slid, not too muh damage besides a break in the fairings and some windscreen bolts, i assembled the broken pieces and will post some pics too, how much should i drill in cm?

I drilled mine out ages ago no problem
Here's a low quality vid of me running the bike from cold
FZ6 Fazer drilled stock oem exhaust muffler can.AVI - YouTube

And this is the write up with photos that I did a the time ( I drilled mine off the bike)
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - Senior's Album: FZ6 Stock Exhaust Drilled Baffles

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29781-stock-muffler-drilling-vs-performance.html#post309298

Oh and be careful if you drill the exhaust FF to 1:23
Random Encounters 10 (Over 9000 sub special) - YouTube
and this is a good comparison of before and after from the same chap above....
http://youtu.be/hGLPMVqjzg0

Last edited:
I drilled mine out ages ago no problem
Here's a low quality vid of me running the bike from cold
FZ6 Fazer drilled stock oem exhaust muffler can.AVI - YouTube

And this is the write up with photos that I did a the time ( I drilled mine off the bike)
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - Senior's Album: FZ6 Stock Exhaust Drilled Baffles

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29781-stock-muffler-drilling-vs-performance.html#post309298

Oh and be careful if you drill the exhaust FF to 1:23
Random Encounters 10 (Over 9000 sub special) - YouTube
and this is a good comparison of before and after from the same chap above....
http://youtu.be/hGLPMVqjzg0

Lmao. Not you sir! But youuuuu. Hahaha I lost it at that

I think I will drill it, i just want to know what size i should use, i don't want it to be way too loud, let's say 1.5 times louder than what it is as stock ?

I think I will drill it, i just want to know what size i should use, i don't want it to be way too loud, let's say 1.5 times louder than what it is as stock ?

It's not going to get that loud IMO. I used a 1" bit which is about the biggest I could go. Sounds a little better but I'd rather have an aftermarket exhaust

Yes its not going to be to loud. I drilled out the MAX i could fit down the exhaust pipe. cant remember the exact bit size i used but it wont make that much difference, anything smaller and you probably wont be able to tell its even been drilled

Back