Drilled a hole in my husband's fingernail eewww

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I come home from work lastnight and my husband is using a chop saw for making kindling from the leftover construction stuff... I leave again to go to the drycleaners, and come back to his swollen, black finger tip. As the night goes on it is getting more and more painful as the pressure is building up. He finally says, I can't stand it anymore, will you please drill a hole in my nail? My first response was no way! Then he said it will make it feel better, so upstairs we went looking for the best tool do use. I wouldn't use any thing with power to it. So I took a drill bit and as gently as I could turned and twisted on the nail until I could see some blood. But nothing was really happening so I went and got a finer dremel tool bit. That worked better but didn't make it really able to release the blood/pressure. SO then I took a pin, and poke on either side of the hole and finally the release of this dark red ooze... and a sigh of relief from my husband.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar situation but chickened out. Another good way is to straighten a large paper clip, heat the tip to red and melt a hole through. I'm told there's no nerve endings under your nails but I still didn't want to do it.

BTW, the nail fell off a few days later but grew back perfectly normal. :thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done that more times than I'd like to remember. Sometimes the blood literally squirts out the hole when you do that, so make sure to do it outside. :D

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you for having the guts to do that, I'm sure your husband appreciated it!

That story made my stomach turn. I see some very graphic stuff in my line of work but actually doing somthing like this would be way beyond me. Good for you!

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar situation but chickened out. Another good way is to straighten a large paper clip, heat the tip to red and melt a hole through. I'm told there's no nerve endings under your nails but I still didn't want to do it.

BTW, the nail fell off a few days later but grew back perfectly normal. :thumbup:

Well, whoever it was told you all wrong!

Under your fingernail is where most of the nerves in your fingers are, and that's why they're covered with a nail. Fingernails are not just for digging out a stubborn green nose goblin!

LOL

Try squeezing a nailbed with a pen some time. It's my favorite test to see if some Pt is faking unconsciousness. Just squeeeeeeze!
They yank their hand away and yell, "HEY! What the HELL are you doing?!?!?!?!? That hurts!"

Hahahaha...

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'll have to remember that for next time.. yes there will likely be a next time, he is very accident prone. hehe It did hurt him quite a bit as I was drilling.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, whoever it was told you all wrong!

Under your fingernail is where most of the nerves in your fingers are, and that's why they're covered with a nail. Fingernails are not just for digging out a stubborn green nose goblin!

LOL

Try squeezing a nailbed with a pen some time. It's my favorite test to see if some Pt is faking unconsciousness. Just squeeeeeeze!
They yank their hand away and yell, "HEY! What the HELL are you doing?!?!?!?!? That hurts!"

Hahahaha...

The Doc who wanted to hot-melt it told me. Maybe it was to ease my mind until it was too late? B@st@rd! :eek: :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, the melting a hole in is definitely the way to go through the nail, I have also taken a pin and fed it under the nail to release the pressure, but that hurt way more.... but i was in a wedding the next day and didn't want a weird hole in my fingernail...

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will try to get a photo before it is healed much. he has a meeting tonight so I dont' think I will get to it... maybe tomorrow. Or I will tell him, he must take a photo before he goes. :p

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just for Fred, and anyone else who wants a gander. It really doesn't look that bad. I didn't do such a bad job for a newb. hehe

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At least the "moon" isn't damaged so he will not lose the nail! :thumbup:

Gross but thanks!