Dreaded Spark Plug change

Zebratounge

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been putting it off for a while. The manual says 8000 miles, I changed them at 9500.

I asked the salesman at the dealership if the Iridium plugs were worth the extra money. I figured He would say yes to get me to spend $14 a plug instead of $10. He said they were not worth the extra money, and the other guys in there agreed. So I went with the NGK CR9EK.

I did not get any pictures, but 30 minutes later and some skin off of my right knuckle I had them in. I am glad the tool kit comes with the flexible spark plug wrench. I don't think it would be possible without it.

I really noticed the difference, idle is smoother and gave it back that new feel it had a year ago.

If you have been putting it off. just jump in there, you will be glad you did..

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is getting close to 6k miles, but it is an 04, so i've been considering changing them. Thanks for the encouragement and showing that it can be done. I figured it would be a royal PITA.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been putting it off for a while. The manual says 8000 miles, I changed them at 9500.

If you have been putting it off. just jump in there, you will be glad you did..

Uhhh......I'm at 19,000 miles on my original plugs, would you consider that putting it off for a while. FWIW..bike still starts and runs great. Makes you wonder if you really need to change them at 8,000 miles. That's about $120 - $150 dollars that I have not had to spend.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have to change the plugs? ;)

I didn't own the '05 long enough to change them. I will be changing them on the '08 next year and it will be closer to the 11-12k mile mark too. I'm going to switch to the iridium regardless. At $16 total difference, it's fractions of a penny per mile added cost. :D

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Uhhh......I'm at 19,000 miles on my original plugs, would you consider that putting it off for a while. FWIW..bike still starts and runs great. Makes you wonder if you really need to change them at 8,000 miles. That's about $120 - $150 dollars that I have not had to spend.

All the RECOMMENDED maintance schedules are there for a reason. It's to keep your bike in top working order. It's recommended that you lube your chain every 500 miles, or after a bath. I'm sure you can get away with pushing that as well, but will you? Owning a bike takes A LOT more maintance than a car, and you should know, and accept that going into it. A poorly maintain bike is a accident waiting to happen. Can you push the envelope? Of course, but don't bitch when your bike leaves you stranded on the side of the road, or worse!

Sorry fior the rant, but it gets to when I see people posting that they can go "THIS" many miles without problems. Spend the $30 bucks and keep your bike happy. No offence to Vegas meant, but if my bike were two uears old and had 19,000 miles on it would plugs be in the back of my mind of every ride? Hell yes! The only thing I want on my mind is if I have enough gas to make it the the next station.

Follow the maintance schedule, as it's there for a reason.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can get 4 iridium plugs at advanced auto parts for 8 dollars each. I think. But its a one day order. the local bike shop has them in stock for 9.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up the CR9EIX for 6.59 each and 6.96 shipped priority. The total bill was 33.32 and I had them in a few days.

I ordered mine from here

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All the RECOMMENDED maintance schedules are there for a reason. It's to keep your bike in top working order. It's recommended that you lube your chain every 500 miles, or after a bath. I'm sure you can get away with pushing that as well, but will you? Owning a bike takes A LOT more maintance than a car, and you should know, and accept that going into it. A poorly maintain bike is a accident waiting to happen. Can you push the envelope? Of course, but don't bitch when your bike leaves you stranded on the side of the road, or worse!

Sorry fior the rant, but it gets to when I see people posting that they can go \"THIS\" many miles without problems. Spend the $30 bucks and keep your bike happy. No offence to Vegas meant, but if my bike were two uears old and had 19,000 miles on it would plugs be in the back of my mind of every ride? Hell yes! The only thing I want on my mind is if I have enough gas to make it the the next station.

Follow the maintance schedule, as it's there for a reason.

Oh believe me, I understand the importance of the plugs. I would never consider riding a great distance knowing that my plugs needs to be changed. Pretty much my riding these days have been to and from work in the city. When I went on the group ride a few weeks ago to Big Bear, the thought of the plugs being timed out was in the back of my mind. But honestly, there are things that are on the maintenance schedule that I think is premature and it's thowing good money down the toilet. I think the parts that we have on our bikes are much better than the parts used 10-20 years ago so I believe there are certain things that you can extend, and spark plugs are one of them in my opinion. Are you one of the riders who will do EXACTLY what the maintenace schedule sais to do. Well I can honestly say I'm not, but I would not consider my bike poorly maintained and not bike worthy.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorta on-topic: my Dad showed me how to inspect plugs, wire-brush them, and reinstall if the electrodes were still whole/not pitted, and if the ceramic insulators weren't cracked.
Then I get out on my own, put 120,000 miles on my '86 Saab 900 Turbo; finally, sheepishly pull the plugs for the first time, and they look perfect! Changed 'em anyway. :rolleyes:
I did switch to the iridium plugs at 8.000 on Fizzer, though...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So why do our bike have a recommended change of only after 8,000 miles, when they advertise plugs that are good for 100,000 miles?

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
at 15000km i bought new plugs expecting to have to replace them. after pulling a couple of the old ones, i reinstalled them and returned the new ones for a refund. they were in great condition.
why waste the money if they are perfectly good? its like putting in premium fuel in the tank.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Those plugs look good. At least you know your engine was performing well when you pulled them. I'm just going off the spark plug chart of pics in the back of my haynes manual.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So why do our bike have a recommended change of only after 8,000 miles, when they advertise plugs that are good for 100,000 miles?
Great question. From a profit standpoint (and we all know that's what rules the world) a plug manufacturer would recommend frequent changes (sell more plugs!), while a bike manufacturer would recommend less-frequent changes (why take chances on a dealership accidently crossthreading a plug, requiring a block head change?) Hmmm...

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Great question. From a profit standpoint (and we all know that's what rules the world) a plug manufacturer would recommend frequent changes (sell more plugs!), while a bike manufacturer would recommend less-frequent changes (why take chances on a dealership accidently crossthreading a plug, requiring a block head change?) Hmmm...

So what is your opinion then? Yamaha says 8,000 miles. What do you say?