Downshifting issue

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my '04 FZ6 last month with about 13000 miles and have loved it so far. Yesterday I took it for a 300 mile ride (my longest ride on it yet by far) through the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. About 100 miles in I started having this downshifting issue where it would not downshift unless I fiddled around with it a lot or slammed it really hard (bad for it I know but its like I'm at a stop light, it just turned green, and I can't start from 3rd/4th gear..so not much choice haha).

Today I played around with it and figured out the problem although I don't know why the problem exists.

See video: FZ6 downshifting issue - YouTube

The shifter isn't returning to where it should after I downshift. Sometimes I have to put my foot underneath and bring it up a tad to be able to downshift again.

Recent changes:
I did just change the oil about 50 miles before yesterdays ride with Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil. Yes the manual calls for yamalube 10w30 or 20w40, but I don't know of any yamaha dealers close within reason and I couldn't find 10w30 or 20w40 (motorcycle oil anyway) to save my life and the guy at another motorcycle place said 10w40 would be fine and I even saw some members on this forum that use it so I went ahead and put that in.
I also tightened the chain recently. Not too tight though.

Maybe some of you have experience with the internals of the transmission and know if its something internal??

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
How do I get to those parts? I don't see them on the outside. Will I have to remove the tank and get inside the transmission?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right.. can't see it from outside. No need to remove tank. I would start by disconnecting the shifting rod from the lever. Then try to shift by cycling the rod without the lever.. see how that feels on its own.
Also I'd wait for someone who's worked on FZ6 tranny to chime in :) (I have not had to)

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
I disconnected the linkage and tried working the rod by itself and I could feel the springs inside working as they should so then I knew the problem wasn't internal. Then I was looking around on here and other people have had the same problem and I lubricated all the moving parts on the linkage; one piece was rather stiff and not moving to well which was causing my problem. Everything all lubed up and it shifts perfectly now!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I disconnected the linkage and tried working the rod by itself and I could feel the springs inside working as they should so then I knew the problem wasn't internal. Then I was looking around on here and other people have had the same problem and I lubricated all the moving parts on the linkage; one piece was rather stiff and not moving to well which was causing my problem. Everything all lubed up and it shifts perfectly now!

Awesome!!! Way to go! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same issue. I will try lubricating all the links. Is there any special lubricant you recommend.

Some automotive molly grease for Disc brakes should do. Pack it in with your thumb till it pushes through the other side of the hiem joint. The other on the lever, a grease gun with a small tip and stick it in the boot.

If your bike is in the rain, boat/marine grade wheel bearing grease would be a good option too. Even something for an outdrive unit. Clean it and get it free and moving with brake cleaner. Dry it and lubricate.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Some automotive molly grease for Disc brakes should do. Pack it in with your thumb till it pushes through the other side of the hiem joint. The other on the lever, a grease gun with a small tip and stick it in the boot.

If your bike is in the rain, boat/marine grade wheel bearing grease would be a good option too. Even something for an outdrive unit. Clean it and get it free and moving with brake cleaner. Dry it and lubricate.

The manual actually calls for white lithium soap, which is a lot thinner!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh! I had a thread with this exact same issue. I consider this a General Maintenance item on the FZ6 now, as I have to do it once every 10k miles or so.

Here's what you're going to need to do.

1.) Grab some sort of lubricant (WD-40 works)
2.) Go down to your shifter, follow it to the end where it connects to the shifter rod.
3.) Follow the shifter rod to the other end and there will be a connector that is covered by a rubber boot. Peel the boot back.
4.) Spray some lube in there
5.) grab your shifter and shake it like a polaroid picture.

Should be fine after that! The issue is some dirt and such gets up in there and doesn't let your shifter return far enough to let you engage the next gear. You can also take the whole thing apart and clean it if that's your style.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edit: looks like you already found the culprit. Nice!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The manual actually calls for white lithium soap, which is a lot thinner!

Perhaps the reason its gone now??
picture.php
picture.php

In this application - go for something that works and lasts!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps the reason its gone now??
picture.php
picture.php

In this application - go for something that works and lasts!

Perhaps the reason it's gone is the fact the bike is 10 years old and there is no way of telling if it was greased since it let the factory!

I'd rather use the correct lube on a regular basis rather than dump any old grease on there...