Down shifting/engine braking

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at the manual for an '04 FZ6 (mine, which I get next week, is an '06), and it seems to indicate there's no engine braking allowed. It basically says that no matter your gear, you wait until your under 25kph and then shift down to 1st. Which is totally fine. I'm happy to do all my braking with the brakes. Just curious. I'm used to engine braking in my car.

Is this just a recommendation to minimise engine wear? Or is it a flat out no-no?

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about that, but I've always used engine braking with my bikes without any negative side effects. I'll usually use engine braking along with the front and rear brakes for smoother deceleration. I'm sure long term it is slightly more wear.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Geez, don't be a noob and get stuck in "Analysis Paralysis"... It's a bike ride it, engine brake it, rev it... It's not black or white just ride it the way you want to... It won't break...:spank:

Richard

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
The way I look at it is that as the FZ6 engine is heavily derived from the R6, when you consider the amount of punishment even just track day riders give their relatively standard R6's, I wouldn't think that anything any of us could manage on the road would do any damage :D

rkrone

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about that, but I've always used engine braking with my bikes without any negative side effects. I'll usually use engine braking along with the front and rear brakes for smoother deceleration. I'm sure long term it is slightly more wear.

Me too, I feel you have more control that way

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I've engine braked every motorcycle I've ever had! I've never heard anyone tell me that I shouldn't do it because it was "bad" for the bike. My only thought might be they don't want you to do it in the break in period.

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was my new fz6. between learning to ride.. stalls.. very jittery throttle control//takeoffs and engine braking during the breakin period, I'd say it'll take whatever you have to offer and ask for more.

Like said above, it has a ton of used parts from an r6 including a modified '03 r6 motor (if i remember correctly) ride it like you want.. it is made to get ridden to the limit.. and most people will very rarely reach that. :BLAA:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't engine brake in 1st, but only because it's jerky. It's all about being smooth. You can nearly come to a stop in 2nd anyway.

Unless you're dropping straight into 1st at 50mph, I'd do what makes you comfortable. The manual probably frowns upon clutchless upshifting, but that doesn't stop most of us. :)

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the same manual and I just looked over that part again and all I saw it say was to stop apply both brakes and shift to first at 25kph, I saw nothing about no engine breaking. Basicly they are just suggesting a safe speed to shift into first with out throwing you over the handle bars unless you rev match
Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
You can engine brake all the way to idle in 1st gear. You must be going slow enough when you put it in first gear though or you might lock the rear wheel. Going from 2 to 1 always let the clutch out slowly.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
You can engine brake all the way to idle in 1st gear. You must be going slow enough when you put it in first gear though or you might lock the rear wheel. Going from 2 to 1 always let the clutch out slowly.
I have done that few times already going down hill and fish tailed slightly...... Scurry stuff.

While we are on the subject. What is the proper way to down shift to pass someone?? Clutch in, rev then match, then open throttle?? Or just drop it down and gun it?

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all. The manual I have is just a little confusing. It has the usual recommend shift points for shifting up. It also has recommended shift points for shifting down. And the recommended down shift points for all gears is 25kph.

I'll just do what will eventually come naturally ... engine braking. Once I get the feel of the bike.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Fyi when you do get the bike practice a good bit shifting between 1st and 2nd and 2nd to 1st... it can be a bit harsh untill you get used to it and a tip if you have it In neutral and want to shift up or down pull the clutch in a few times (at least 3 times but the more the better) or it will probably grind and be pretty hard to go either way even if you rev match

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
On my s2 when overtaking I like to get close to the car in front in a gear at about 6k revs then clutch in knock down one and rev the s**t out of it throughout the rev range and then upshift. Lol probs not the most economical method but great fun to see the car disappear in your mirror in a few seconds.

Dan

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.974997,-0.029916

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
On my s2 when overtaking I like to get close to the car in front in a gear at about 6k revs then clutch in knock down one and rev the s**t out of it throughout the rev range and then upshift. Lol probs not the most economical method but great fun to see the car disappear in your mirror in a few seconds.

Dan

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.974997,-0.029916

I do the same thing except I dont get close to the car before I pass I drop back a couple car lengths so I can get even more speed up before I pass for one it means less time beside the car and 2 I also like the look of the car disappearing lol... it just happens a lot faster that way

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
I do the same thing except I dont get close to the car before I pass I drop back a couple car lengths so I can get even more speed up before I pass for one it means less time beside the car and 2 I also like the look of the car disappearing lol... it just happens a lot faster that way

Will try that lol I love the look on the cagers face as you pass them lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.980022,-0.018259