Down pipe cleaning?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
My downpipes are rusting and the nuts that hold the manifold tight to the engine are also rusting...along with the long threaded pieces that protrude from the engine...months of rain, salt and bad care!!

How can I fix this before this gets any worse? I am thinking about loads of WD40 with a wire brush..but how do you guys keep your downpipes so clean...do ya ride your bikes at all! :p

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Take the entire manifold off
2. remove the studs holding it to the engine (tighten 2 bolts down together and unscrew it from the block)
3. Go to hardware store and buy stainless steel studs and nuts (never rust again)
4. sand down the pipes with fine grit sand paper.
5. polish w/metal polish until they become shiny
6. sit back and admire your work.
7. dont let it get so bad next time and it wont be nearly as hard to fix

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on how bad they are, you might be able to clean the down-pipes up with wire wool. Use it conjunction with a metal polish.

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
the downpipes on my bike were badly tarnished when i bought it, i used meguires nxt metal polish (also protects against corrosion) and without too much effort they came up a treat.

nxt all metal polish

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the reply!! seems like a massive job to get the exhaust off the bike...but it has to be done...just wish I had more time to do it before going back to college...

Another more difficult question...madmanmaigret you suggested buying a stud...do you know what size, length and thickness?

Its difficult enough to get simple things here in my local store but if I went in asking for a stud they'd look at me as if I had two heads!! :p

W

wrightme43

I would recomend just using antisieze on the factory studs. You can get into alot of trouble taking studs out a head for the first time learning on your bike is probley not the best way to go about it. Find a old cracked head, and practice on it first if you really want to remove them.

Snap on carries a nice stud removal tool. It uses eliptical tool steel cams inside a socket that slips on the stud. You can also do it with two nuts backed against each other, but the removal tool pays for itself in much less hassle.
Just my 2 cents.
Steve

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The pipes aren't chrome, they are stainless steel that has been polished, if you sand it then all you are going to get to is more stainless steel. if it were chrome then you would eventually wear through the chrome.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the reply!! seems like a massive job to get the exhaust off the bike...but it has to be done...just wish I had more time to do it before going back to college...

Another more difficult question...madmanmaigret you suggested buying a stud...do you know what size, length and thickness?

Its difficult enough to get simple things here in my local store but if I went in asking for a stud they'd look at me as if I had two heads!! :p

If you do not have steady hands read what wrightme43 wrote above. As for the width, length, and pitch of the studs you would have to take one out and bring it in to the hardware store with you and measure it up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Down pipe cleaning? Am I missing the point totally

Scorph,

Mate none of us have enough time in the day you are working and studying fair paly to you. I am also working and studying (as are many), Wash your bike more mate with cold water after riding in the salt. All you need to do is hose it down.
Stud removal is not for some one who has not done it before. I don't know if you have broken your teeth on single cylinder 50cc & 125cc bikes.
IMO stud removal and replacment on a high performance engine would be money well spent with an engineering firm. Imagine if you over torque the stud and crack the head. Mate ships are made of steel and they do fine.
Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance.
I ride day in day out in the same crappy conditions that you do. Your original plan of WD is ok but it is only a dispersant. There are loads of anti corrosion products.
Dont replace the studs unless they fail. Why would you even put your wallet through that?
I'm not having a go mate but instead of trying to find the time to do this big job, schedule some regular maintainence time. The reality is you will have sold the bike on by the time this becomes an issue.
To all you fellas who responded to the thread it is all valuable and resourseful info. I am not having a dig.

Neil:thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree fully with neil but in my perfect world that is what I would do if money were not an object good luck scorph

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site

O I seem to have overlooked this thread...and found it again in a google search trying to answer this very question! :p

Thank you all for the advice, i've actually given them a good sanding (the nuts and bolts that is) and they are actually ok underneath. Its possible that what got caked onto the nuts and bolts was dirt mixed with rust...it simply flaked off. Now I do keep a good eye on these things...the roads up here in Northern Ireland are bleeding horrible when it comes to salting (we dont salt roads often in the Republic of Ireland). I'll keep with the sanding and cleaning, I'll have a look at rust prevention products too...no doubt I'll have a new bike before this becomes a major problem alright! :)

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always used a fine steel wool WITH a metal polish, rub the polish on with the wool so you clean and polish at the same time.