Don't buy the eBay chain breaker/riveter !

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
First thing that failed on it was the breaker pin to push the old pin/links out and then when trying to rivet/flare the new pins, the head just squared off and didn't flare the head of the pin. Just for reference, that head is supposed to be domed shaped !:

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Don't by the eBay chain breaker/riveter !

First thing that failed on it was the breaker pin to push the old pin/links out and then when trying to rivet/flare the new pins, the head just squared off and didn't flare the head of the pin. Just for reference, that head is supposed to be domed shaped !:

The rivet on that master link looks very over compressed. The flare on the master link only needs to expand enough to keep it from coming through the bore of the link it passes through. From what it looks like, you may have crushed the "O" ring and the link may be very stiff and compromised. I would get a replacement pin for your chain tool kit and a new master link with "O" rings and redo the master link.

This may be why the pin became damaged. If the pin were too hard a material it could fracture and instead of doing it's swedging job, it would fail.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The rivet on that master link looks very over compressed. The flare on the master link only needs to expand enough to keep it from coming through the bore of the link it passes through. From what it looks like, you may have crushed the "O" ring and the link may be very stiff and compromised. I would get a replacement pin for your chain tool kit and a new master link with "O" rings and redo the master link.

This may be why the pin became damaged. If the pin were too hard a material it could fracture and instead of doing it's swedging, job it would fail.

+1^^
I had to replace a master link when I swapped chains because I did compress it a tad too much. Cliff is exactly right, it does not take much, barely enough to see with the eye.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site

I've always used a cut off wheel on my dremel to remove chains. The riveter works fine for putting the master link together.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 ^^^ with the cut off wheel.

Re the tightness of the link Cliff posted, did you measure the rivit width as you crimped? There should have been a spec sheet on what the loose/tight tolerances are. A final width of the the master link rivit.

If its too tight as noted above, you'll get excessive wear at that link. The fix, again, would be to cut off and re-install a new link re-greasing the o-rings.

It does take longer sneaking up on the press fit, but you won't be doing it again (once done properly) anytime soon..

Just a side note seeing you have a DID chain. With the DID chain tool, Actual LINK: Access Denied you CANNOT OVERTIGHTEN the master link. It wasn't noted in the diections but when sneaking up on the final tightness, I had to go as far as I could, tightening, and the spec's were dead smack in the middle..

Last edited:

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site

Wow, all I did was cut the old useless chain off my gsxr 750 and used a ball pien hammer to mushroom it out (very, very carefully) never had an issue

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site

The link isn't tight and it moves as freely as the others. On the installation sheet it gives dimensions of the flaring of the pins (5.4mm to 5.6mm). I measured mine with a digital caliper before and after my attempt. It was 5.4mm and they went to 5.44mm and 5.42mm.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd take a round type feeler gauge and,
See how much room you have between factory-made links,
And the one you did and see where
You're at before putting on a new master link.
You maybe OK if it's not over tightened.
As you said it was free.
Worth a try.
The end of the rivet
Will be whatever shape the die is.
Doesn't matter as long as it's bigger
than the hole in the link it goes through.
Grease 'em good!
Good luck with it!
:cool:
Rich

For other folks who may buy this tool:

The description states: "ALTHOUGH THIS TOOL MAY BE USED FOR BREAKING ALL CHAIN SIZES FROM #35 TO #630, WE DON'T RECOMMEND CUSTOMERS TO USE THEM FOR BREAKING HEAVY DUTY TYPES OF #530 TO #630 UNLESS THE RIVET HEAD IS GROUND OFF FIRST."

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The link isn't tight and it moves as freely as the others. On the installation sheet it gives dimensions of the flaring of the pins (5.4mm to 5.6mm). I measured mine with a digital caliper before and after my attempt. It was 5.4mm and they went to 5.44mm and 5.42mm.

If your inside those spec's, sounds like your good, especially if its free.

Update, (as I forgot), the measurement was of the rivit width sqaushed down, NOT the link width..

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site

I just bought an ebay one for $25, just used it Saturday to install a chain on my CBR. It ended up being "Stark" brand. Stark Tools USA
I didn't use it to break the chain, since I already had it off. But it seemed to work alright. The battery in my digital calipers was dead, so I wasn't able to measure riveting diameter or the overall link width. I'll inspect the riveting tip tonight and report back.

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site

Just to be sure, i've bought a DID chain breaker/riveter to finish it off :thumbup:

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI;

Thanks. I just noticed on there is says that you need the pin with the grove in (KM500R) for riveting the 530VX chains. Damn, best get ordering then.

Damn Damn.... that means i need to rivet the head to somewhere between 5.7mm and 6mm. I'm only at 5.4 ish :-(

How did i miss this !!!:confused::thumbdown:

Guess i won't be riding my bike tomorrow for work :-(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The above tool WILL bottom out fully and NOT over tighten, (I learned after using it).

Thats why I bought the much more expensive DID tool, just to keep things like that from happening (I'm a tool fanatic anyway!)...

AdamFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
All sort now.

Replaced the master link with a new one and re-did it all. The flared heads are now 5.8mm

Easy when you have the right tools !! Blah

Chain set to correct slack too :D