dominator exhaust back fire

okle001

Reaction score
Visit site
As above. installed dominator exhaust and am happy ie. much better than stock exhaust but have noticed it back firing when I accelerate hard then decelerate, never had that problem before. Any advice Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It just started or it stated after the exhaust was installed?

If its been on for a while, this may be the result of an exhaust leak or air entering the system.

If the install is recent, its often due to running lean. Depending on the year, it may adapt and correct itself once ran for a while or disconnect the battery for a bit. One option is to defeat the air induction system which purposely add air to create a re-burn in the exhaust. Its for emissions purposes, it does nothing to harm the performance or help it.

Take a look here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/51736-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact.html
Next on the chopping block... Well, blocking up the air induction...
picture.php

51883d1390968580-08-fz6-condensed-build-thread-final-impact-img_20140128.blockoff.web.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hi yeah its never done it before until i installed aftermaket exhaust

What year and have you disconnected the battery yet?

If 07 and up, it could help to reset the ECM. If earlier, buy the block off plates shown above assuming there is no exhaust leak.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike is 2005, so resetting the ECM will not change a thing.

If it really bothers you your best bet is the block off plates or a power commander.
Some people have reported no change in back firing after the plates, and in some case only a PC and a tune will get rid of it.

I have poppings on my 09 with Leo Vince when i abruptly close the throttle, and i like it!
It's just unburnt fuel burning in the exhaust.

I did a lot on research on that subject and decided not to add the plates, there is zero performance gain to be had.
The only gains are the ability to do a dyno tune more precisely, and to get rid of the pops, which i think sounds great.

The loss is that you will put a lot more crap in the atmosphere.

If you decide you want to do it anyway here are the cheapest plates i could find:

http://powderkegracing.com/Yamaha_R1_R6_R6S_FZ1_FZ6.html

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have poppings on my 09 with Leo Vince when i abruptly close the throttle, and i like it!

+1! I like that occasional popping! And if you think FZ6 is bad, try FZ1.. get it up to 12k and roll of hard: sounds like a machine gun :rof: