Does your FZ lift in 1st gear?

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never really got into 1st gear really hard. Just passed the 1000mile mark and put on a 15T front sprocket. So today I said, "what the hell" and grabbed a handfull of 1st. At about 10K the bike lifted straight up and I was a bit surprised by it. Normal?

God's Warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has the stock sprocket on it but i notice the front end comes up towards the end of first gear if im riding hard. like around 12k but doesnt come up too high only maybe a foot or so

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine came right up at about 10K and I mean straight up! I had to get on the rear brake and fast! Just didnt expect it.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2004 with stock gearing and a tank bag will lift the front a few inches in first - starts earlier than 10,000 though. First to second will get close to a foot of lift. I have to be careful about suddenly going full throttle at 20 or 25 the front comes up very quickly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I had mine, all the time in first when it hit the powerband sweet spot at wot. Mine was dyno tuned and ran really strong....:BLAA:

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I can lift it in first without a clutch up.
shifting from first to second I'll sometimes wheelie it a little bit. Not for style, just from getting on it hard... The little old ladies sure like that when I'm pulling out to pass them with my Two Bros cans lol.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the front wheel off the ground quite high when I revved the hell out of her in first to get up an extremely steep hill :eek:

I didn't mean to do it. Mrs Humperdinkel was riding behind me and was ready to catch me :rof:

I hope I don't do it again :D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 used to power the front up in first easily enough, and would throw it up if you roll off and smash it on at the start of the power band. With -2 on the front it would come up every time. The FZ1 on the other hand will carry the front an inch off the deck all the way to the limiter, then pick it back up again in second. Any higher than that and you will likely have to back off to keep it from coming up too far, and nobody wants that. Good times :D

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so others have had it come up. Here is the thing. Im not talking about coming from a stop hard...., or using the clutch from a roll..., or shifting 1st- 2nd. I was in 1st doing mabey 15-20mph, grabbed a handfull and the thing went skyward! Not 2ft, 3ft..... F***ing thing shot straight up!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine hops a bit in first if I lean back. But if I lean forward it never does. Mine's all stock in the drive section. My handlebars put me further forward though.

Scared the poop out of me the first time. Didn't even know it had hopped until my buddy told me. I just knew the front end felt weird, and my butt-hole puckered.