Does the FZ6 have enough power?

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market for a bike. I haven't ridden on the street in over 20 years. I've been riding offroad for the past 10 years. Currently have a YZ250. I love having that two stroke power there when I want it.

That being said. I'm 6'3, 260lbs. I want a bike to ride on the weekends and sometimes, a daily commuter. I'm not looking to break any land speed records. I don't want to hit a limit going up hills in the mountains. I want quick power for passing, etc.

I started off looking at the FZ1 but then was steered here. I went and looked at a used 2007 FZ6 the other day and they guy said that he had swapped out the front sprocket to get some more torch. He wasn't a very big guy. I read into that "Guy owned the bike for a while, wasn't pleased with the throttle response, tried to improve with different gearing".

Unfortunately, I don't have access to test ride the FZ6 or the FZ1. There is a rental company here in town. They have an R6 as well as a GSXR600, and a Ninja 650R. How do these stack up to the FZ6? Which one would be a better comparison?

Thanks in advance.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
For sheer power the faired super sports are pretty fast off the mark, I can smoke most people on the FZ6 but R6's can be really pull away, although I'm generally not pushing the limits.
If your used to a 250 then I can't imagine you being anything but amazed by the FZ6 or anything in the 600 bracket to be honest. Below 7k revs the FZ6 has very nice power off the mark, that for any legal speeds would be more than necesary. Its not terrifying either. On the other hand once your up at 9k its a totally different a (more fun) ball game :D

I'd greatly recommend getting a test ride though realistically. I'm suprised no dealers would let you if your genuinely interested in purchasing.....

What attracted me to the FZ6 was the fact it got the best review as an all round bike from practically every magazine and the only bike put on par in the 600 naked range was the triumph street triple, which mainly was popular due to its engine, and not much else.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
It has plenty of power - how fast do you need to go?

What it suffers from is a little flat spotting either side of 7k revs - the power curve is far from linear.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
the low amounts of power below 8k is exactly what I want in a bike. Itll still pull faster than alot of cars, keeps me out of extra-legal trouble on my commute and helps with gas mileage.
but pin it at 4k and let it wind out and youll experience whats known as the "FZ6-slingshot-effect" at about 8k

that feeling plus then blowing past anything makes the FZ6 powerband perfect for me.
The huge power boost up high REALY makes up for the more linear power down low.

depends what your looking for. If your looking for an all out street toy and dont intend to ever just plain commute then go for a GSXR.. otherwise the FZ6 is perfect. More than adequate in the twisties too, just keep that tach high!

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 250 lbs and was thinking the same thing then I saw the numbers:

0-60 in 3.2 seconds and 0-100 mph in 7.8 seconds.

I bought a brand new fz6 five months ago and I do not regret it one bit.

Around town it has more than enough low end grunt to get you into trouble quick. I have not yet run into a hill on the highway that I can't accelerate while going up it in sixth gear.

My only compliant is that I find it a tad buzzy... this in my only issue and I consider it a minor one.

From everything I've read and in speaking with the mechanics at the dealer the power train is rock solid reliable.

Last edited:

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider on a new FZ6....it does suffer from a lack low end torque...but if you're not a lazy rider in 6th, drop to 2nd / 3rd, get the rev's up and you're off like **** off a shovel! :Flash::D

addy

Reaction score
Visit site
100hp and 60+ nm of torque is enough. I can hold any 600 until about 230kph. 1 litres are too quick after 100kph. But I've pulled 11.7 over 400 meters from standstill. With a time card.
I love this bike, I can enjoy commuting, sports riding or touring with my wife on the back.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Please elaborate. Does that mean that it's reving higher at speed?

Nah, just that it has some vibration at highway speeds.

If you're coming off of a touring bike onto the FZ6, you'll notice it.

Since you're going from dirt bikes to the FZ6, you'll probably never even feel it.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 230 lbs and the FZ6 has plenty of power. If you really want to, you can easily merge onto the freeway at triple digit speeds. Yes, there is not much happening below 4k rpm, but you can still out accelerate most cars. Once north of 10k rpm is where the fun starts!

The YZ250 is around 45 hp, the FZ6 has around 98 hp. A good running YZ250 hits 0-60 in 4.5-5.0 seconds, the FZ6 hit it in 3.2 seconds. A stock (geared) YZ250 will top out at 90 mph or so vs a stock geared FZ6 will top out shy of 150 mph.

I think once you are accustomed to the FZ6, the YZ250 will seem slow. Even with a 300lb rider the FZ6 has more hp per lb than the YZ250.

50 hp with a 220 lb bike and 180 lb rider = 8 lbs per hp
100 hp with a 420 lb bike and 180 lb rider = 6 lbs per hp
100 hp with a 420 lb bike and 300 lb rider = 7.2 lbs per hp

I personally (and as a FZ6 owner I am definitely biased:D) think you will not have a single moment when you could ask for more power.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
the bike is quite weak on low rpms, and if you ever ride with a pasenger, you will have issues. that said, power is very subjective and depends from what you come from.

if you come from a honda varadero twin 1000cc, the fz6 will seem a nightmare on low rpms (especially on uphills in cities)

especially since you dont want to ride very fast i dont think a 4 cylinder bike would be suitable for you considering your weight. this because the fz6's power is unleashed after you are well past most countries speed limits.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
as most others have said.. enough?? yes. but it depends on what you feel is enough!

i am about 6'3'' and a bit over 300lbs, and i have a 1050 triumph tiger.. i had the fz last year (see = wife "stole" it) and i jump on it every so often still.. for being a taller guy i find leg room is not the best for me but others dont mind.. as for power.. it still catches me off gaurd, it may not "feel" as as strong as my tiger but i snatch a couple gears and am doing 100+ before i reilize it.. but for around town and such it is very tame.. this is a bike you can start out on and be easy with and get used to the road and when your ready for more it has that too..

ride one, you'll be suprized

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I only weigh 160lbs and ride solo so it's plenty for me. As it is I find it difficult to use most of what speed it has and stay near the speed limit. If you mostly ride in a big city I think a twin with a lot of low end torque may be a better choice.

I actually like how it feels fairly calm when in traffic but explodes when you get a clear road and twist the throttle.

Tim

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6ft. 235lbs. and the other day I wanted to see what speeds the redline would take my FZ6 to........

1st gear took me to 60mph in about 3 seconds.

2nd gear took me to 95 mph in about 3 seconds more.

Unfortunately I ran out of open space to explore more, but 0-100mph in under 7 seconds and only needing 2 gears wasn't to bad.

When I get a chance I'll find out what mph I can get out of 3rd gear at redline.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
... the fz6 will seem a nightmare on low rpms (especially on uphills in cities)

I think I agree here. Maybe not a nightmare but certainly cause for shouting "C'mon! C'mon!" in your helmet.

I'm only 165ish and I still feel it's lacking on the steep hills at slow speed and low RPMs -- you have to rev it and if you're beginner (I'm talking about me here) still developing throttle skills, you could end up really gunning it accidentally.

You can get used to the low rpm low power characteristic eventually.

But at speed esp. > 8K RPM it is a different bike. Add better pipes and it really is a different bike :D

Dennis

earthdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bit of a dog below 5 to 6k RPM. It wakes up decently at that point, and really pulls nicely at around 10 to 13k rpms. As said, even in the low rpms, it's faster than the cagers by a good stretch, but if you want butt-puckering acceleration in any gear at any rpm....well, don't get an inline four 600.

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'1" and 235lbs. The power of the bike isn't a complaint of mine. I keep it in the power band and have a lot of fun. There are some instances where I wish I had a true supersport, but it's not often.

My biggest gripe is the handlebars and rearsets. They're not bad for putting around town. With my build I find them lacking when I want to ride agressively.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
There is only one place on the speedometer where this bike is a "tame" between 1-15 mph. Everything else is controlled by gear selection and throttle manipulation. That is what makes this bike so great as an all around bike. You get to choose if you want to be jekyll or hyde. So many other bikes you have to make a choice of one or the other.

If I'm stuck in heavy traffic I want a tame bike that doesn't jump from 1-30mph because traffic is doing 5-10 mph.

If I am commuting I want a nice steady even ride most of the time but if I need to blast I just push the rpms up.

I'm out riding some fun stuff just keep the rpms up.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the market for a bike. I haven't ridden on the street in over 20 years. I've been riding offroad for the past 10 years. Currently have a YZ250. I love having that two stroke power there when I want it.

That being said. I'm 6'3, 260lbs. I want a bike to ride on the weekends and sometimes, a daily commuter. I'm not looking to break any land speed records. I don't want to hit a limit going up hills in the mountains. I want quick power for passing, etc.

I started off looking at the FZ1 but then was steered here. I went and looked at a used 2007 FZ6 the other day and they guy said that he had swapped out the front sprocket to get some more torch. He wasn't a very big guy. I read into that "Guy owned the bike for a while, wasn't pleased with the throttle response, tried to improve with different gearing".

Unfortunately, I don't have access to test ride the FZ6 or the FZ1. There is a rental company here in town. They have an R6 as well as a GSXR600, and a Ninja 650R. How do these stack up to the FZ6? Which one would be a better comparison?

Thanks in advance.

The FZ6 does have "plenty of power", however, you mentioned that you love 2 strokes, that you want available/usable power to pass when needed, and that you don't care about top speed... with these things in mind, I would look at v-twins (or liter I4s, like the FZ1)... if you're cruising around, you won't have access to peak power on the FZ6 without down shifting... it's a great bike for sure, but it's pretty much the opposite of a 2 strokes... it's got loads of HP, but little torque, so you have to exploit the 14k rpms, which are a lot of fun btw, but means a lot of shifting to remain in the peak power zone... keep that in mind when making your decision!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
The FZ6 does have "plenty of power", however, you mentioned that you love 2 strokes, that you want available/usable power to pass when needed, and that you don't care about top speed... with these things in mind, I would look at v-twins (or liter I4s, like the FZ1)... if you're cruising around, you won't have access to peak power on the FZ6 without down shifting... it's a great bike for sure, but it's pretty much the opposite of a 2 strokes... it's got loads of HP, but little torque, so you have to exploit the 14k rpms, which are a lot of fun btw, but means a lot of shifting to remain in the peak power zone... keep that in mind when making your decision!

Exactly! Some of you skirted around it but Wavex, took the OP's question to heart. Thanks Wavex.