Does something need replacing? Wobbly at high speeds

mr.nick705

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!
I have started to notice that whenever I go fast on my 2008 Yamaha FZ6, It starts to get kind of wobbly. and i dont enjoy that! It usually start getting wobbly around 115 and I havent taken it past 125 because I dont feel comfortable. The fastest Ive ever had it up to was 132, around when I first bought it but I dont remember if it did that. What do you think it could be?
Thanks, Nick

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
First, you should not be riding that fast on the street period... Don't be a fool, there is no excuse... Take it to the track so you won't end up being an organ donor...:spank:

Now things to check...

1) Tire type, wear and/or pressure
2) Steering head bearings
3) Possibly wheel bearings, but that is remote

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!
I have started to notice that whenever I go fast on my 2008 Yamaha FZ6, It starts to get kind of wobbly. and i dont enjoy that! It usually start getting wobbly around 115 and I havent taken it past 125 because I dont feel comfortable. The fastest Ive ever had it up to was 132, around when I first bought it but I dont remember if it did that. What do you think it could be?
Thanks, Nick

people have been trying to tell me for years that the FZ6 does not need a steering damper...Wrong, if you ride an FZ6 hard, on the road, or the track...you needc a steerring damper, or upgraded suspension...

dont let the wowsers tell you different...

if you are riding way above the speed limit on the road, be damn careful, and, yes, get to the track....

:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
S

Shamus McFeeley

I've noticed a definite increase in vibration at high speed, but never a wobble like you're describing (at least not in the straights). Wolfman is spot on about the suspension though, you don't really realize how bad it is until you upgrade it.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Front end suspension. You're a 2008, i'd say first up check forks, change oil, steering head bearings would also be loose.

Most guys put roller bearings instead of the ball bearings, it also helps.

Either way, without spending money on parts, front forks and steering head bearings tighten. Of course i'm assuming you check tyres.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
This happened on mine, a new set of tyres and wheel balancing fixed it. I think a balancing weight had fallen off