does anyone know anything about alternative fuels for motorcycles?

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wondering about this. Of course, I am thinking for commuting or offroad use, not performance. Are there any options available or projects that you know of? It would be interesting.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wondering about this. Of course, I am thinking for commuting or offroad use, not performance. Are there any options available or projects that you know of? It would be interesting.

Unless you have a diesel or turbine powered bike you're going to be very limited on "alternative" fuels and you'll be limited to those already on the market. Maybe propane or CNG but those require high pressure tanks and I'm not sure where you'd put that on a bike.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
There's lots of alternate forms of energy and conversion kits to do such things. They aren't widely produced or even marketed.

Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems | Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

There's conversion kits sold to convert your vehicle into a "grease car." Grease cars run on SVO or Straight Vegetable Oil. I'm not completely up to date on this conversion - but as I understand it it uses either a mix of vegetable oil and other fuels....or straight vegetable oil if heated high enough.

There's also "H20" Fuel conversion kits for sale if you hunt long enough. They're basically hydrolysis machines that split the water molecules in half. They separate the Hydrogen from the Oxygen - and utilize the hydrogen in an electrochemical process to convert it to energy able power your car. The exhaust in these systems are straight Oxygen and can be fueled by straight water.

Then there's the classic electric car which has its kinks and is very expensive to manufacture. They're volatile and end up causing fires and exploding. I believe the crutial component that we currently need to work on most to make this more feasable is the battery. Current batteries build up internal resistance quickly due to high operating amps required. Increased resistance kills your battery and produces heat which in turn causes fires. Unless you have a genius idea for a battery - or a couple grand to spend every 2 months on replacing your 20x 24v diesel truck batteries - your best bet is either the hydrolysis or grease car methods.

I go to school for electronic engineering and its my dream to build a alternative fuel system for my vehicle - not even to market and sell; Just for me. I've been researching it and its one of my goals in life.

There's what I know thus far.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hayes Diesel Technologies (previously known as Hayes Diversified Technologies) has developed a diesel motorcycle for the military based on the Kawasaki KLR650. The military version runs on JP8, diesel, bio-diesel, kerosene or aviation fuel. They were originally going to produce a commercial version priced at around $18k called the "Bulldog", but it looks like that has stalled. Too bad, I'd love to ride a motorcycle that gets 100 MPG & goes 100 MPH.