Do you use the rear brake?

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
With my previous bikes I would use a combination of front and rear brake. Recently when doing so on the FZ6 I used too much rear and skidded out a little. I wasn't going fast but it made me realize when I put my foot down, I put it down too hard in comparison to the front brake.

Recently I've avoided the back brake and trying to brake smoothly and properly with just the front.

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes and no.

Driving normally yes, but under hard or emergency braking no.

Load the front and then go hard and the back tire will be in the air.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For emergency stops, yes.
For stopping normally at a traffic light, no.
For riding so slow in a parking lot that the speedo doesn't register, yes.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Very often, but not in every braking situation. I've been using it more and more and more as my riding has progressed.

I use is constantly during slow speed manuvers.

I use it in super super tight stuff especially when loaded up with gear.

I use it when emergency braking for deer and what not but the rear usually gets a little out of line so I have to back off.

I don't really use it in high speed riding as I have the balls of my feet on the pegs and my front brake does lots of good.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use them both most of the time, unless very slow speed manuevering, clutch partially out, a little steady throttle and rear brake only to control the speed...

I always have the clutch and front brake covered as well (the front brake with 2 fingers)..

I try to use both to keep in the habit as that's what you'll generally resort to in an emergency situation...

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i would say about 80% of the time that i use the rear brake.. trying to use it more and more, but it's tough seeing that the fronts are usually more than enough

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
You must learn to use both brakes all the time for minimum stopping distance. If you don't do that on a regular basis you won't do it in an emergency, and usually minimum stopping distance is required (before you punch that car that just turned in front of you). Practice, practice, practice using both brakes......first apply the fronts and quickly followed by the rear until it becomes second nature. Although the fronts supply most of the stopping power you need all three discs in use for maximum stopping power.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
Correct. Also, it helps the bike track straight. You develop feel for rear traction by using the rear brake almost all the time.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You must learn to use both brakes all the time for minimum stopping distance. If you don't do that on a regular basis you won't do it in an emergency, and usually minimum stopping distance is required (before you punch that car that just turned in front of you). Practice, practice, practice using both brakes......first apply the fronts and quickly followed by the rear until it becomes second nature. Although the fronts supply most of the stopping power you need all three discs in use for maximum stopping power.

Muscle memory.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
rear brake was my last habit on fz6, when i sold it i realized how nice it was. i realy liked the feeling and used it every time. when it was possible i used only the rear cause it didn't scream like the front.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must learn to use both brakes all the time for minimum stopping distance.

I must respectfully disagree, sir. I think that the rear brake, in an emergency panic stop situation, has very little positive effect.

All of the rider's momentum is carried forward, way up high above the axles, so as the mass transfers forward onto the front tire under braking, the downward pressure exerted on the rear tire decreases to the point that it becomes increasingly difficult to modulate the pressure you put on the rear brake pedal, to brake effectively without locking the tire.

Just the other day, I had a situation on the freeway where I had to suddenly decelerate quickly, and I locked up the rear with just the slightest pressure on the pedal. It began to fishtail so I backed it off - fortunately it hadn't gotten out of line since I was going straight at the time.

I use my rear brake for normal stops all the time; that said, I'd say it accounts for maybe 15 or 20% of my normal stopping braking.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having taken the advanced Police motorcycle course many moons ago (retired PO of 25+ years), motor officer for 2 years, part of out training, was emergency stoppping with the rear brake only. This was on a full dress Harley. You were taught NOT TO RELEASE THE BRAKE until slowed down considerably or you'd probably highside...

This was practiced in a grass medium (no curbs) doing approx 45MPH (in a very remote area with no other traffic).

As a side note, prior to ABS, (at least on Harleys) I got caught in an on-coming afternoon monsoon (normal during the summer in Florida). As I tried to get back to the station in a hurry and make a right hand turn, the back tire locked up (besides using the fronts). A bit of rear brake/ foot modulation put it under control on some slick highway.

Although most of the weight transfers to the front upon hard braking, the back still has some traction/input. Why would you not take advantage of it?

In my experiance, use both brakes and know the limits of your bike/brakes and how it behaves. Practice, practice, practice.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
With my previous bikes I would use a combination of front and rear brake. Recently when doing so on the FZ6 I used too much rear and skidded out a little. I wasn't going fast but it made me realize when I put my foot down, I put it down too hard in comparison to the front brake.

Recently I've avoided the back brake and trying to brake smoothly and properly with just the front.

For your own safety, please go and practice using both brakes. I can assure you that with practice you can use both brakes effectively on this bike.
On a side note, even if your rear tire does skid a bit when you apply the rear brake you are still reducing your stopping distance. Maybe some practice skidding the rear tire in the grass/dirt would be good?

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it every time this thread gets resurected, and the replies keep coming!! Use whatever braking method you want, just remember your responsible for the outcome...