Votes: 99 49.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering. I know we were told to use it in MSF, but then I read somewhere that it's better to just turn the ignition off. Considering some people having problem with bike just shutting off (due to faulty kill switch?), isn't it better not to touch it all all?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use mine every time. I was taught to use it when I first learned to ride and now it's as much of a habit as putting my helmet on for every ride.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use my ignition switch.... I have tried using the kill switch on the SV as I was in a hurry to kill the motor once, but the bike started funny after that. Took more gas and starter time. Don't really know if it was related for sure but I might try it again to see. Even if you don't use it you should operate the switch to help keep the contacts clean. If mine was broken, I'd also fix it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have over 55k miles on my bike and I have used my Engine Cut-Off Switch every time to turn the bike off. So you can imagine how many times it has been used and I've been fortunate enough that I have had zero issues.

As far as whether or not to use it, it's just a matter of muscle memory. In the rare incident that you may need to turn the bike off, it just comes automatic. How are you expect to use something that you never are use to using, even though you have it?

There are a lot of riders out there who rarely use their rear brakes, but we all know that using both brakes will provide the shortest stopping distance. Yes, the rear brake only accounts for a very small percentage of the braking, but why would you not use it? The difference between using one or both could be whether you hit or don't hit something. Once again, it comes down to muscle memory.

Obviously braking scenarios come up much more often than the switch where you have to turn your bike off immediately, but who knows. Maybe one day you might find yourself underneath the bike and the bike is stuck in full throttle and you try to reach for the key instead of the switch because you're so use to using the key. Or maybe you might come across a downed rider who's injured and his bike needs to be turned off for whatever reason. Since keys are located in various areas of all motorcycles, you don't even think about using the keys, you go stragiht for the switch.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
When I took MSF the instructor gave me a dirty look when I use the kill switch while the bike was moving and coasted to a stop. Was I wrong?

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
As far as whether or not to use it, it's just a matter of muscle memory. In the rare incident that you may need to turn the bike off, it just comes automatic. How are you expect to use something that you never are use to using, even though you have it?.

+1 what VEGASRIDER said. You need to do it automatically if you really need it on an emergency.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I took MSF the instructor gave me a dirty look when I use the kill switch while the bike was moving and coasted to a stop. Was I wrong?

They don't want you to be *creative* in MSF. They promote using kill switch, but they don't promote shutting off the bike while it's still rolling. It's not wrong, per say.. they just don't ask you to do so.

I do just that every now and then when I roll up to the pump, but really there's no reason to shut the bike off before you're fully stopped and if for some reason you need to make a quick getaway after you've stopped, it's better to have the bike running.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be one of those bad tcmalker's advice, but I'm going to recommend the ignition switch. Kill switch is for emergency so let's use it for that purpose. And when I say emergency, I don't mean 'Hey I'm about to crash, let me reach for that kill switch'. What you should be doing in that case is react and brake, swerve or do whatever you have to do to get out of that situation. I don't want muscle memory to kick in and press that kill switch, thereby voiding me of my chance of escape.

Emergency is 2 scenarios:

1. throttle stuck in open
2. already crashed, somehow throttle also stuck

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site

I could assume that the instructor was not happy with a "dead stick landing", whether you'd killed the engine with the kill switch or the ignition switch was not the issue.

As a habit, you'd want to keep your options open to be able to quickly react to a situation, like a cager running up on you, to maybe have the chance to save your rear if needed. Having to re-start may cost you big time.

Just a guess on my part. There are a number of MSF instructors in this forum. Please correct me or clarify if it's an entirely different reason,

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be one of those bad tcmalker's advice, but I'm going to recommend the ignition switch. Kill switch is for emergency so let's use it for that purpose. And when I say emergency, I don't mean 'Hey I'm about to crash, let me reach for that kill switch'. What you should be doing in that case is react and brake, swerve or do whatever you have to do to get out of that situation. I don't want muscle memory to kick in and press that kill switch, thereby voiding me of my chance of escape.

Emergency is 2 scenarios:

1. throttle stuck in open
2. already crashed, somehow throttle also stuck

I don't understand your thinking here; Why would I be thinking about using the Engine Cut Off Switch during a swerve or emergency braking.

The only time I woud consdier using the switch is when I need to shut down the bike, period.

In the event that your throttle gets stuck, the corrective measure would be to immeditale cut power to the rear wheel, that would requrie you to pull in the clutch. If you woud have done that, maybe you wouldn't have crashed?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand your thinking here; Why would I be thinking about using the Engine Cut Off Switch during a swerve or emergency braking.

The only time I woud consdier using the switch is when I need to shut down the bike, period.

In the event that your throttle gets stuck, the corrective measure would be to immeditale cut power to the rear wheel, that would requrie you to pull in the clutch. If you woud have done that, maybe you wouldn't have crashed?

I know better than to use the kill switch during a 'panic' situation (been there many times), but for someone who has a trained muscle memory he/she might flick that switch in just that situation, which would be a disaster, wouldn't you agree?

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kill switch once a month or so just to keep it working.

Bike seems to shut off and start the same either way.

Has anyone on the forum known of a situation where the kill switch was needed?

I wonder how often a kill switch is used in a situation it is truely needed by real world street riders, and why cars dont have them. Maybe it is more there because historically it was needed on bikes in the old days?

Last edited:

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
HA, looks like the jury's still out on this one. Voted and then saw results are now exactly 50% yes and 50% no! Just personal preference I guess, but I always use it. Every time. MSF-instilled habit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.