Do you open carry?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I do believe that open carry is legal in Virginia but not in most businesses or public places so what's the point? We are allowed to carry concealed practically anywhere but schools and government buildings so why advertise? Carrying open is not distracting criminals but it's adding to the anti-gun feeling from non-gun citizens and liberals just love that!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Carrying open is not distracting criminals but it's adding to the anti-gun feeling from non-gun citizens and liberals just love that!

From people I have talked to locally who do open carry they say it seems that about 90% of the people who actually say something to them about open carry support them, but everyone of them have also said for every one person who has verbally supported them there is at least 2 people who give them dirty looks...

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
As someone not living in the states this topic is gob smacking. We here can not even have a pistol unless you belong to a pistol club and partisapate in regular competitions with each pistol. To think that so many people i meet each time ive been to the states might have been carrying to me is scarey. Dont get me wrong i love fire arms i realy enjoy fireing guns i miss my ruger semi auto 22 rifle, but even had to loose that because we cant have semi auto's anymore.

This is why we fight for our gun rights over here. It's why I understand people wanting to push for open carry even. You see, I love to have the right to defend myself.

1) The police, though they mean the best, will not be there in time to save you. It's not a dig on them, they just physically cannot be there fast enough.

2) Governments should be afraid of their people, not the other way around.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why we fight for our gun rights over here. It's why I understand people wanting to push for open carry even. You see, I love to have the right to defend myself.

1) The police, though they mean the best, will not be there in time to save you. It's not a dig on them, they just physically cannot be there fast enough.

2) Governments should be afraid of their people, not the other way around.

Amen to that brother!!!

To the argument of open carry making you a target to criminals, the more I think about it the more I don't believe that statement. For the simple fact that most criminals pray on the weak, yes there are some truly disturbed individuals out there who would choose the guy with a gun as his target but, not everyone who commits crimes are that twisted, and most of them are cowards anyways so open carry might be a crime deturant, or maybe I'm just thinking about it too much and trying to convince myself...

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about carrying a lot recently. Not because I feel the need to, but because I'm going through the process of getting my CCW. In NY, it's required to have the CCW in order to own a handgun. Period. Most shops won't even take one out of the case if you can't show you have a permit.

I currently don't feel the need to carry. I'm of the mindset that if I feel I need to carry someplace, I just don't go there.

I recently met someone that carries all the time. He's a part-time "special" cop (basically fills in for events and such when needed), and never leaves home without carrying something. He's also the one that got me into wanting ot build an AR15. But that's another post. Until meeting him, I never really thought about carrying, nor had much of an opinion on it. But now, going out, as much as he tries to cover it up, you still catch glimpses of it when his shirt moves. Does it make me feel more comfortable? I don't know. I suppose in a way it does, but at the same time I don't think about the fact either.

I've always had a healthy fear/respect for guns. I get nervous carrying one when I hunt. I'm keenly aware of what I'm doing with it from a safety standpoint. I don't even like looking down a barrel that's not attached to a gun. So the idea of carrying one and not having it in my hand makes me slightly uneasy because of the *chance* of it accidentally going off. That fact alone may prevent me from carrying in anything other than a carry bag or locking case.

Do I care if others carry? Not really. As long as they're trained in how to use it properly, and don't do things with it that make me uncomfortable with it (pointing it at people/animals, finger on the trigger, etc.). Would I carry? I haven't decided that yet.

Jumpingjerry

Reaction score
Visit site
First, I am a police officer here in Alabama. In Alabama you can open carry on public property. If you open carry on private property you MUST have permission from the owner or it is illegal to open carry. So check the laws closely so see all the fine details. That means if the mall says no guns, then you cannot open carry there (it’s private property and they have that right).

Also keep in mind that although it may be legal to open carry it is not common. People may see you and freak out and call the police. Then the police will come and check you out (they are just doing there job, please don't hate). So with that said you may bring more problems or aggravation to yourself by open carry.

I recommend getting an inside the waist band holster. You can still carry a full size gun and, conceal it fairly well and still draw and shoot in a very quick time if you practice. A good buddy of mine carries a full size 1911 in the waist band with no problem. That will me my next buy (money pending). :D

I normally do not open carry, if I do I have my badge next to my gun. I always have a gun on me when I am off duty. I carry a 380 in my pocket most of the time with an extra clip in the small change pocket (13 rounds total).

If you carry a gun with a safety and keep it on safe then practice switching the safety off every time you draw your gun. I myself will not carry a gun with a safety. My duty weapon is a Sig Sauer (department issue). Off duty a carry a Ruger LCP 380.

Sorry if I gave more info then what you were asking for. Happy shooting! :rockon:

Jumpingjerry

Reaction score
Visit site
Also there are also laws which prohibit firearms on certain property (schools, airports, government buildings, etc). There are also laws which prohibit certain persons (juveniles, felons, mentally ill persons) from possessing firearms.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks and as far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too much info on the subject, as far as restrictions here in ga on open carry, they are the same as concealed carry, no churches, no public or political gatherings, and private property owners can tell you no, and obviously most government buildings. The problem with a inside the waist holster is that I can't find one made for my gun, I have found some that would work but if I'm going to be carrying everyday I want the peace of mind knowing that my gun is positively secured, while still being comfortable.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My favorite pro-gun quotes:

"when guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns"

“Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not...” - Thomas Jefferson.

Making firearm ownership illegal has been proven to increase the rate of violent crime in the area. When criminals know the victims are unarmed they are more likely to go ahead and commit the crime with no fear of being shot by the victim. Criminals do not abide by gun laws.

When the government outlaws guns they turn free men into slaves.

The USA is heading toward the same fates as many European countries if current trends continue. Government is the problem.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NH - "Live Free or Die" We can show up and buy a weapon with money and take it home. NH doesn't require registration of guns/pistols. NH has an open-carry policy that only excludes court rooms and court houses. Federal law has extending rules about federal buildings and school zones. Open carry excludes any motorized vehicle where it is now "concealed".

I can open carry but common sense tells me to not raise alarm and keep the weapon at home or concealed with a proper license. If I lived in more rural NH, I might have a different view but not here in the cities. But it sure is nice to have the right to carry should I feel it necessary. ;)