Do I need a tail tidy or what

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Went to Deals Gap and lost some screws.

I took a weekend trip out to Deals Gap with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. It was a bit of a trip. I think it was something close to 700 miles starting about 1:00 pm on Friday and ending about 3:00 pm on Sunday. Weather was pretty nice except for Saturday night and Sunday morning. I got quite wet. I have to get better rain gear.

Deals Gap was a lot of fun. I'd love to go back to try and get some better pictures taken :) I look like I'm taking a leisurely stroll through the park. this one at least looks like I'm trying ;)
Picture11.png

Anyway, I got home and started cleaning my bike. Turns out I lost the two front screws that keep my front fender on. I know they were there when I left because I cleaned it before I went on the trip. Makes me wonder how many other things could have worked themselves loose on the trip.

For those that haven't been, you should go if you're close by. It's a short ride, but well worth it.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Went to Deals Gap and lost some screws.

I to lost some screws on the forum trip in June but thats because my wife stayed home. :spank:

Nice pic :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

It is well worth it! It's also worth riding all the other great roads while there as well. The corkscrew, Rte 28, Cherohala Skyway, Bridal Veil Falls, Indian Foothills Parkway, Wayah Road, etc.... Too many to list! :D

One thing to do before a trip... check all bolts and screws you can reach. If any are not torqued to spec, please back them out, put on some thread locker and torque them to spec. :thumbup: I do this on both my wife's and my own bike before big trips. I can typically find at least one that is out of spec so it worries me about the ones I cannot reach easily.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my Irish plate today. What a difference in size compared to the Uk plate. Has anyone chopped the original plate hanger to make it look nices? I can not afford a proper tail they at the moment. ↲
Cheers↲
nelly ps i did all of this no my nokia 5800, so the quality is not that great.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I don't know whats happening either, they are on the forum page on my phone but not on the forum:confused:

Nelly

[edit] the page timed out on my phone thats why they are not here. I am putting them on my PC and I will then reveal them lol.

Last edited:

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site

Interesting. I lost one of the hex head bolts that hold the radiator trim/shield in place last weekend. A quick trip to the hardware store and I replaced it with a stainless phillips head (metric, of course) and lock washer instead of a flat washer. While I was at it I checked the obvious and accessible "trim" bolts for tightness. One of my fender bolts was loose. Very loose. Loctite it is! I'll be checking from now on.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org

hi does your engine guard block oil filter? it's SW Motech right? thanks. :rockon:

i'm not sure of the brand... it was on there when i bought the bike.

and the oil was changed just before i bought the bike. i'm getting ready to do my first oil change this week. after i do i'll let you know what i think of it. right now i like it because i have highway pegs on it which really helps for longer rides. but if it has to come off each time for an oil change i'll be switching over to frame sliders.

i'll get back to you by early next week.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Great shot! (I hope those screws aren't in your back tire now) I do know that you can wear a new pair of radials down to a sharp "V" point in one day there! Ride safe.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org

hi does your engine guard block oil filter? it's SW Motech right? thanks. :rockon:

just got finished changing my oil. i can tell you that it would have been easier changing the oil without the engine guard. the previous owner had put a short oil filter on. even with a short oil filter i couldn't get my oil filter wrench on the filter.
oil_filter_wrench.jpg

and it was on the bike pretty tight. i ended up having to go the screwdriver method. but i put the longer mobil 1 oil filter on with no issues. it's close to the engine guard but obviously not hitting. i think using the longer filter i might just look into a different oil filter wrench. i think something like a k&n that has a nut built onto it will fit and would be prefect for the bike with the engine guard.

and as far as it being an SW... i think it is. it was on the bike when i got it.

hope those ramblings help.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I've had a screw loose for years, just ask my wife and kids :eek:

Last long trip I went on was with Smokenu up to Monterey, over to Yosemite and back to SoCal, 2 bikes, mine and another lost screws on the chain guard :confused: