diy lowering?!?!?!

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
well lowering the bike for the wife is something i want to do to make riding a bit less of a hastle for her.. and i have wondered about the shape design and construction of the rear shock and mount and such but dont want to take the one off the bike to do it.. so i found a donar.. i couldnt belive it.

2006 FZ6 STOCK SHOCK:eBay Motors (item 140342195287 end time Aug-31-09 15:38:22 PDT)

thats right.. a complete stock shock/spring for $1.00!! yep a single stinking dollar.. it cost 6bucks to ship.. 7 dollars.. so there is a chance i can lower the bike for about $10 total.. if not i have wasted money on far stupider things. i will post progress and my findings on this..

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! So, are you going to have the spring cut and apply it to her stock shock?

Awesome deal for experimenting!

W

wrightme43

I just lowered my fork clamps on the tubes and it made the bike perfect for me. Have you tried that?

Congrats on the shock.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I just lowered my fork clamps on the tubes and it made the bike perfect for me. Have you tried that?

Congrats on the shock.

Hm... what does that mean and what did it achieve?

Sometimes, I think the FZ6 just seems to sit a little high and at 5' 6", a little lower would be nice for me. But if I have to get a new center stand, kick stand, spring, etc., it may not be worth it.

Is your mod easy to do? and easy to go back if I don't like it?

Thanks,

Dennis

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis, it's as easy as loosening the clamping bolts on the upper triple, then, with the bike supported in the front, loosen the lower triple clamping bolts SLIGHTLY and one at a time until you can man-handle the forks upward in the triples. You want to be sure of two things, that the fork tubes are showing an equal amount above the top triple and the wheel is straight, and that you raise them no more than 1/2"

Going over 1/2" drastically changes the dynamics of the bike. While it will corner a lot better (reduced rake), it will not go straight so well and it is easier to end up in a tank slapper.

It is easy to put back, just loosen the same bolts and drop the forks in the triples until they are flush with the top of the upper triple. Torque all bolts to spec... done.

If you'd like help, we can easily do it here at the Busted Knuckle Garage in Dover when I get back from vacation. :D

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the offer and explanation. I might be curious to see how to do it but most likely will not. The possibility of tank slapper doesn't sound good although better cornering sounds intriguing.

I hope you're having a good vacation.

Dennis

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! So, are you going to have the spring cut and apply it to her stock shock?

Awesome deal for experimenting!

i dont think so.. but how ever i do it i can mod and fit the "extra" for temp and if it turns out good then i will switch it to her's during down time, rain, winter.. whatever..

i am thinking about trying the mod to the bottom mount... as the one you buy for $175 is basicly the same thing just shorter. i couldnt find where i could buy just that to try it on and i wasent gonna do it to the one on the bike incase i messed something up.. well now i have the "spare" to do it with.. will let you guys/gals know...

btw we got a shaved seat from a guy the other day and so far she is lovin it