Different radiator fan design?

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently a pebble got lodged between my FZ6's radiator fan and radiator. This caused the fan to get stuck and burnt itself out. I am not the only one that has experienced this. Instead of the fan having a shroud built into it, how about a shroud installed around the entire rear portion of the radiator instead of the fan? Or maybe even some mesh behind the fan to protect it from foreign objects? I've been looking at the stock radiator fan for awhile and it just bugs me how easily something get can get stuck behind there.

Postal1979

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me.. I was wondering why my bike was getting hotter and then I noticed the fan never came on.. I Looked and saw the dumb pebble jammed in there and popped it out. Fan was fried. I took it to the dealer and was like hey my fan stopped working. WTF. Yeah for warranty.

It would be nice to see some way that this could be avoided.

:popcorn:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, so this makes 3 of us so far, which is definately a problem. What year model bikes do you guys have? Mine is a 2007.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Mines also a 2007. I've looked at an SV650 the other day. The SVs have the fan and the shroud seperate and also has a mesh guard behind the fan assembly. Does this mean I will trade my FZ for an SV? Heck no. I just dont want my fan to go out again.

bobiii

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly think that this is something that Yamaha should recall. Maybe all the people that this has happened to should report to the National highway safety or something to that effect. This could do harm to your engine and possibly cause an accident? Just my 2 cents.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I understand what you guys are saying happened.

You're saying that a rock got wedged between the fan and the backside of the radiator itself? Or between the outside of the fan and something else back there?

AFAIK, all U.S. model years have that same fan setup. I agree that it's a little wack just on the surface, putting that lame ring around the outside of the fan blades. That really only prevents fingers from being chewed up when stuck into the moving fan from the outside edge.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
AFAIK, all U.S. model years have that same fan setup

I'm not sure if they have the same part number or not, but from looking at 2006 and earlier models the fan itself is differant. It is wider, and spaced a hair farther back on the earlier models. I had a few bikes as reference at the Deals Gap meet. I still think that 3 people having the same problem on a 07model, on this board alone, is excessive.

Postal1979

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I understand what you guys are saying happened.

You're saying that a rock got wedged between the fan and the backside of the radiator itself? Or between the outside of the fan and something else back there?

AFAIK, all U.S. model years have that same fan setup. I agree that it's a little wack just on the surface, putting that lame ring around the outside of the fan blades. That really only prevents fingers from being chewed up when stuck into the moving fan from the outside edge.

Yeah a rock got wedged between the fan and the backside of the radiator. Dont know hot it did, but it was wedged in good.. popped it out and still had a hard time getting it out from blade.. well when I noticed the rock i just go to a friends house to go for a ride.. so bike was hot.. but i finally flicked it out. fan never turned on.. fuse was blown.. changed that but motor was already burnt out....

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's an '07 as well. Maybe if the gap between the radiator and the fan was a little larger? I'm guessing that the little pebbles get stuck in the front tire tread and then flung up into that area. Larger rocks shouldn't fit into the tread so will not get flung so increasing the gap should do it? I see there is some room to do this.

Is this a crazy idea?

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's an '07 as well. Maybe if the gap between the radiator and the fan was a little larger? I'm guessing that the little pebbles get stuck in the front tire tread and then flung up into that area. Larger rocks shouldn't fit into the tread so will not get flung so increasing the gap should do it? I see there is some room to do this.

Is this a crazy idea?

Not a crazy idea at all. I haven't looked at the fan yet, but I've been watching the temp when I'm riding. I was also thinking about increasing the gap. My warranty is over now and I don't want to buy a new fan

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Is this a crazy idea?

That may work in preventing rocks from getting stuck, but I worry about the efficiency of the fan in drawing air through the radiator. The rock that got wedged between my radiator fan and the radiator was about 4 pennies thick. Where I live the streets are not very well maintained and there are lots of tar pebbles. If you live in a nicer, cleaner area I don't think it would be that much of a problem. The more I think about it, the only way a rock could have gotten back there is if it did get stuck in the tread like BD43 says and flings off and bounces off one of the headers or engine block in such a way to land inside the radiator fan shroud while it was off.

Lemon

Reaction score
Visit site
bd43 or anyone else,

Is there any type of mod that someone has made to prevent rocks from being thrown into your fan and wrecking havoc? I just had this happen and wouldn't like to have to go through it again...

economarte

Reaction score
Visit site
had the same problem with the fan, the first month i bought the bike, 2008 FZ6 S2
the warranty change it for free, but i had to wait 10 days for the new fan to arrive at the dealer :(

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
mine was touching the radiator and not turning. fan wires almost burnt warranty changed it the first week i had the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading the numerous posts on the problem, I came up with this solution for my 07.

Made of 1/16" aluminum, it bolts to the lower radiator mount and uses the stock bolt (sandwiched in-between). It basically blocks anything thrown up from the tire from hitting the bottom of the radiator/going further upwards to the fan/fan shroud.

I didn't make it the full lenth of the radiator as any crap that's going to get thrown up will happen generally while moving quickly. Its one piece, cut so a tab can be bent down and drilled for a bolt mount. It does NOT rub up against the radiator. Painted black of course.

Please feel free to copy the design and mount up.

Last edited:

Lemon

Reaction score
Visit site
So that just protects the bottom. Do you think that the majority of the pebbles get shot up from there or is it possible that they bounce off the headers and fall in from the top?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pepples aren't going to generally fall from the top of the motor/headers.

Pepples/rocks/road debris gets kicked up from the tires. Look under most bike engines and you'll find the engine case sand blasted right behind the front tire...

My bracket keeps crap from flinging upwards inbetween the radiator and fan blades...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, brothers!

Same thing happened to me on my '07 last summer.

The real design issue here isn't the space between the shroud and the fan blades, or placing a blocking plate underneath the shroud. It's: Why is the motor fan burning out before the fuze does?!?!?

Yamaha screwed up on this one.