Radiator fan guard

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been numerous threads of the radiator fan burning up from rocks jamming in-between the radiator and the fan (usually burning up the fan).

The fuse appears to be too large for the circuit however even with a lighter fuse, fan motors are still burning out (if a pebble jambs in-between).

In any case, (although I didn't have an issue) I did design and make a guard out of 1/16" aluminum. This guard bolts to the bottom of the existing radiator mount (no mods) and takes up the space in-between the radiator and fan. Basically, its impossible for a pebble or rock to get in there and cause damage.

The below pic's show the bracket and dimensions , (feel free to copy) as well as the bracket bolted to the bike...Sheet metal as well can be used.

Installed;

(I made a thread prior to the new forum format but the pic's were erased.)

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very nice.
I've made some small aluminium brackets in the past, like indicator extender brackets headligt brackets etc. some of them got broken by vibration.
That's why I prefer sheet metal if possible.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks... Sheet metal will work too.

I made mine at least 3 years ago and where it mounts to to stock radiator mount is rubber mounted.

Between NO stress, rubber mounted, its been a non issue...You can't see it unless you crawl under the bike...