Decel problem...

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Took a long ride this weekend and noticed something. I could describe it as a... pinging, clicking, clunking, thumping sort of thing. Its coming from the rear of the bike when I let off the throttle fully. Clutch in or out doesn't affect it. I feel a repetitive light clunking in my footpegs. Ting is relative to road speed. Slows as the bike slows. Has gotten more noticeable over a week or so. Could it be the chain? something loose? bad bearings somewhere? any ideas?

Thanks!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil your chain and see if it goes away. I get this when my chain begins to dry out. If you suspect its bearings, get the bike checked out as soon as you can just in case they decide to sieze up at speed.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the back wheel off the ground and spin the wheel gentaly, if the wheel binds youve got a link problem in the chain. You can the try lubing it and see if it goes away. But check if it binds first b4 a road test to be on the safe side.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 one what the other guys have said.

I had a similar problem on my CBR600 ,had a cheap AFAM chain on it and within 6 months had 2 seized links,was not good !

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll have to check on it when before I ride it next. I was actually thinking a link might have locked up before I asked, but wasn't sure if that was something that actually happens. I give it some lube and see what happens.