Dear Mr.Police Officer...

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
my rant of the month...
im heading to my friends house last night and as i come over a bridge i see a cop. i look down to see if i am speeding and i wasnt my speedo said 49mph it was a 45 zone so i knew i was good..
well as soon as i pass the cop hes facing towards me he dose a crazy ass u-turn and races to catch up to me about 200ft or so away from me he turns on his lights???!?! i was the only vehicle on the bridge well i figured maybe hes going to a call or so ? nope he comes up right behind me so i pull over..
he come up to me and asked me how i was doing .. i told him i was fine
he then asked me if it was my motorcycle or if im riding someone elses i told him it was mine. but what did i get pulled over for?
he didnt answer but instead asked me for my liscence well i gave it to him and he went to his car. he came back after 5 mins or so and gave me back my liscence then asked me about my 2 brothers exhaust and wanted to know why i didnt have plate lights.I told him i did and showed him.... welllll it turns out one of the cables came loose and didnt work.
after trying to mess with it and make it work they flickerd a few times and he gave me my liscence told me to go home and fix it and drove off...
i have no clue how he would have seen them . i just feel like he pulled me to see if theres something he could ticket me for until he saw my clean driving record. either way i fixed the lights and they work again but im still pissed for him wasting 20min of my time and sitting on the side of a bridge for that.. ARGHH!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He was just checking to see if it was really you on your bike! If it was someone else on your bike you'd be happy he stopped to see if it was really you! Hahaha! :rof::rof::BLAA:
Oh yeah. the universe will reimburse your twenty minutes on the back end of your time share here.

Last edited:

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
He was just checking to see if it was really you on your bike! If it was someone else on your bike you'd be happy he stopped to see if it was really you! Hahaha! :rof::rof::BLAA:
Oh yeah. the universe will reimburse your twenty minutes on the back end of your time share here.

thats pretty much what it was lol.. he seemed bored and lonely lol...

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be so quick to call him a bad guy. He was just doing his job and he let you off with a warning. Bikes get stolen a LOT around here, which has lead to VERY high insurance rates on anything new. By checking your information he was also checking ownership. Just think of it this way, if the bike were stolen, there's a chance that another good guy (us, legal riders) would have gotten their bike back.

If cops in Springfield stopped every bike at night, there would be a whole lot more riders with their bikes and a lot less criminals with them.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site
i am not really saying hes a bad cop or anything but. i dont mind cops actually my best friend is one here in my county ..
i do think he needs a good cause to pull someone not just to see if its stolen. would you like it if every cop you pass stops you to see if your bike is stolen? that would be a fulltime job just getting pulled over...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Always sucks getting pulled over and he COULD have given you a fix it ticket. No ticket means thank you very much officer! No rant needed for this one- be happy!

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the rantiness of the thread. I've been pulled over for seemingly no reason at all, then 2 mins later I see someone run a red light, or speed past at way over the limit. Where are the cops then!!?? Verifying another innocent rider?

Everyone's got a story/rant and obviously the cops can't be everywhere all the time, just saying I'd rather then out there solving crimes than pulling over people for little to no reason.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky. I've only been stopped once and it was for an RBT - no problems - on L's at the time and obviously hadn't been drinking :thumbup:

I know a lot of people do get targetted, but not me :D

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
I got pulled over in the cage for the "plate light out" in Troup, TX (AKA "BFE") at 1:30 AM on New Years a few years back. The cop was waaayyy off the highway and probably couldn't have seen the plate light that well, so he was probably fishing. However, this was the most pleasant stop ever as the cop was courteous and informative, we actually stood on the shoulder and shot the s**t for a while, he told me to get the new bulb the next day and wished me well. Luckily, I hadn't had anything to drink and only had the plate light issue. Bottom line, considering some of my LEO experiences, I was pretty happy, especially since I could've left with a citation. :thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We call it licence check. Sometimes it comes in the guise of a car parked on the side of a road doing vehicle safety inspections, sometimes just like yours. I've been pulled over regularly for them, and don't really have a problem with them, unless they're booking for stupid stuff. Letting you know your plate light was out and letting you off to fix it seems pretty fair to me. I like the idea that if it is something serious they will pull a vehicle that is a potential hazard off the road until it is fixed, and let little stuff like yours go.

Besides....in the big scheme of things, a guy in a truck might have run a red light further down the road, and if you hadn't been pulled over he might have hit you....you just never know really.;)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We call it licence check. Sometimes it comes in the guise of a car parked on the side of a road doing vehicle safety inspections, sometimes just like yours. I've been pulled over regularly for them, and don't really have a problem with them, unless they're booking for stupid stuff. Letting you know your plate light was out and letting you off to fix it seems pretty fair to me. I like the idea that if it is something serious they will pull a vehicle that is a potential hazard off the road until it is fixed, and let little stuff like yours go.

Besides....in the big scheme of things, a guy in a truck might have run a red light further down the road, and if you hadn't been pulled over he might have hit you....you just never know really.;)

Exactly! the 20 minutes at the back of the time share! Hahaha! :rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't underestimate the LEO's. They are trained to spot anything illegal or even how small or minor things may appear to the average person. They are real Pro's and can spot a lot of things from a distance that would be considered quite impressive. So am I surprised, no.

Here in Vegas, over half of the motorcycle riders are riding dirty, meaning that they don't have the proper documentation or the proper endorsement to ride. Therefore, more than half of the stops involving bikes (if they stop) will involve these types of violations. Which explains why so many riders actually elude the police here in Vegas. I've recenlty been pulled over and had the cop actually thanked me for stopping?

Once again, I was riding so perfect in front of the cop that he had to use the "Loud Pipes" as an excuse to pull me over. He really found a real dud on this stop, me being a motorcycle safety instructor and all.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing you have to worry about is if you're riding around in the "pull-over blue" color FZ6. People in cars have always complained getting stopped for driving around simply because their vehicle is the "arrest-me-red" color. These two colors, in particular, for some reason, attract cops' attention.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Dear Mr.Police Officer.../A New Novel Idea:

I agree with the rantiness of the thread. I've been pulled over for seemingly no reason at all, then 2 mins later I see someone run a red light, or speed past at way over the limit. Where are the cops then!!?? Verifying another innocent rider?

Everyone's got a story/rant and obviously the cops can't be everywhere all the time, just saying I'd rather then out there solving crimes than pulling over people for little to no reason.

I could not agree more. While I do respect cops and I do feel that the vast majority of them are decent folks, there is that percentage that really do tend to pick on bikes. Several years ago a state trooper sat up at the end of an interstate ramp evenings, three days straight - precisely just before I came through heading home from work, checking licenses. The second day I got the feeling that he was just picking on me. (The third day I thought, "I'm tired of this. Let's snarl things up.") That Wednesday, (after a particularly bad day), when asked for my license I stopped in the center of the road, shut off the engine, got off, put the bike up on the center stand, (all the while traffic was backing up behind me on the off-ramp), took off my helmet, pulled out my wallet, and pulled out my license and as I handed them to him I muttered to him, "This is getting to be a habit!". All the while he had been protesting faster, and faster and faster, "There's no need to get off the bike! There's no need to put it up on the stand. You need to keep your helmet on......" I politely replied that I needed to see what I was doing and I did not want to drop the bike! By the time he urged me out of there traffic was backed up almost an eighth of a mile nearly onto the interestate! (I'm pretty certain he motioned everyone else on through behind me!) That was the last day he had his little dog and pony show on the end of an interstate ramp at rush hour! Maybe it was all just coincidence but until then, I had never seen a routine license stop on an interstate ramp - nor have I since.
I do not advocate messing with officers doing their duty, nor do I advise anyone to do what I did, but I have lived here all of my life, know the area, know most of the cops, and see the routine daily. This was not kosher for local law enforcement and as I stated, I think that he had thing for me/bikes.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

I could not agree more. While I do respect cops and I do feel that the vast majority of them are decent folks, there is that percentage that really do tend to pick on bikes. Several years ago a state trooper sat up at the end of an interstate ramp evenings, three days straight - precisely just before I came through heading home from work, checking licenses. (The second day I got the feeling that he was just picking on me) (The third day I thought, "I'm tired of this. Let's snarl things up.") That Wednesday, (after a particularly bad day), when asked for my license I stopped in the center of the road, shut off the engine, got off, put the bike up on the center stand, (all the while traffic was backing up behind me on the off-ramp), took off my helmet, pulled out my wallet, and pulled out my license and as I handed them to him I muttered to him, "This is getting to be a habit!". All the while he had been protesting faster, and faster and faster, "There's no need to get off the bike! There's no need to put it up on the stand. You need to keep your helmet on......" I politely replied that I needed to see what I was doing and I did not want to drop the bike! By the time he urged me out of there traffic was backed up approximately an eighth of a mile! (I'm pretty certain he motioned everyone else on through behind me!) That was the last day he had his little dog and pony show on the end of an interstate ramp at rush hour! Maybe it was all just coincidence but until then, I had never seen a license stop on an interstate ramp - nor have I since.
I went for a very late night ride last Friday night. At a stoplight I noticed the county deputy opposite of me at the redlight really eying my "one-eyed" fazer, (lights on dim). I thought then and there: I need a way to prove that this bike only runs one light on dim. I got on the internet, pulled up several evaluations of the 2010 Fazer, and printed out a couple where they actually mentioned the one-light deal, (they even had pictures)! I then went to the Yamaha site and pulled up the parts lists showing the two different bulbs for the two sides and printed that out as well. I now have them sealed in a baggy under my seat....just in case. If ever needed, I plan to tell the officer, "Perhaps this will save you some embarrassment and me some time and inconveninence", as I present him the data. (Nothing to lose anyway)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I could not agree more. While I do respect cops and I do feel that the vast majority of them are decent folks, there is that percentage that really do tend to pick on bikes. Several years ago a state trooper sat up at the end of an interstate ramp evenings, three days straight - precisely just before I came through heading home from work, checking licenses. (The second day I got the feeling that he was just picking on me) (The third day I thought, "I'm tired of this. Let's snarl things up.") That Wednesday, (after a particularly bad day), when asked for my license I stopped in the center of the road, shut off the engine, got off, put the bike up on the center stand, (all the while traffic was backing up behind me on the off-ramp), took off my helmet, pulled out my wallet, and pulled out my license and as I handed them to him I muttered to him, "This is getting to be a habit!". All the while he had been protesting faster, and faster and faster, "There's no need to get off the bike! There's no need to put it up on the stand. You need to keep your helmet on......" I politely replied that I needed to see what I was doing and I did not want to drop the bike! By the time he urged me out of there traffic was backed up approximately an eighth of a mile! (I'm pretty certain he motioned everyone else on through behind me!) That was the last day he had his little dog and pony show on the end of an interstate ramp at rush hour! Maybe it was all just coincidence but until then, I had never seen a license stop on an interstate ramp - nor have I since.
I went for a very late night ride last Friday night. At a stoplight I noticed the county deputy opposite of me at the redlight really eying my "one-eyed" fazer, (lights on dim). I thought then and there: I need a way to prove that this bike only runs one light on dim. I got on the internet, pulled up several evaluations of the 2010 Fazer, and printed out a couple where they actually mentioned the one-light deal, (they even had pictures)! I then went to the Yamaha site and pulled up the parts lists showing the two different bulbs for the two sides and printed that out as well. I now have them sealed in a baggy under my seat....just in case. If ever needed, I plan to tell the officer, "Perhaps this will save you some embarrassment and me some time and inconveninence", as I present him the data. (Nothing to lose anyway)

LOL....I don't blame you for doing that. But I wonder if he could have cited you for that, or get on the loud speaker to pull off to the shoulder.

Next time, try pulling off around a blind corner, and see if the cruiser will get rear ended.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site

Whenever I have gotten a speeding ticket, I always get really angry (not with the cop, but in retrospect), but then eventually talk myself down by reminding myself that I did break the law. You said you were going 49MPH, in a 45. I suppose that technically gives him enough cause from a legal stand point to pull you over and check you out as much as it sucks.

One thing that does bother me when it comes to traffic enforcement is the fact that speed is almost the only traffic law enforced heavily (with the exception of these new red light cams - grrrr). The old cliche that is always recited is that speed is a factor in nearly every motor vehicle accident. Well, sure, but someone had to enter the path of another vehicle for that speed to become a factor (within a reasonable threshold of excess speed at which point the poor guy turning left may not have known the car an 1/8 mile down the road was traveling at 120MPH).

One of my personal annoyances that I don't see being enforced is the use of a center turning lane as a "buffer lane" for cars entering a highway from a secondary road, which is strictly illegal. I've watch vehicles do this in front of officers countless times, and never seen anyone pulled over for it. I have known it to cause quite a number of accidents, though, and I'm sure in those places an officer was sent out to run radar for a while:don'tknow:.

I mean really, what the hell is going to happen when someone needs to use the lane to turn and you're barreling down the thing at 50MPH because there was an opening in the opposing lanes, but you have nowhere to merge in your desired direction of travel? IIRC, the law states that vehicles are to be in the lane no longer than 50ft at a speed 25MPH or less and are not to use it for this purpose, but head-on collisions be damned, barrel down it all day long so long as you're in a mini van with a soccer ball sticker.

Sorry, this turned into a rant for me.:D

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to agree with ozzieboy & Motogiro way of thinking. I tend to try and chock up random things that happen as being for a reason.

I have been pulled over where the cop couldn't see my plate or the sticker in the back window saying I applied for the plate. I thanked him because I just gotten my car back from being stolen.

I also feel that people need to get a license if they want to ride. I wouldn't mind being pulled over to check if I was leagle, but if it happend a few days in a row I might want to do something about it too.