Dead battery

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
I was mighty pissed today in the morning. When I tried top start my beauty I heard that wrrrr sound that tells you I ain't going anywhere today. So I had to dash to the train station for the commute into work.

I guess I have to buy a new battery then, I have had to do this recharging a couple of times last year.

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
Were you able to jump start it at all? Did the instruments come on at all? I heard you can start it in second gear by popping the clutch....

Correct me if I'm wrong...

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have an '08 as well and have not had any battery trouble... when was the last time you started it?

also, how DO you do the rolling start or whatever it's called when you have a dead battery? my motorcycle instructor threatened us with having to do that if we left the battery on when taking breaks, but never told us how it's done.

p.s. what a weekend eh mid US coast people? i must have seen a hundred bikes out. yet in the year i have owned my fz, i have yet to see another one. the 'wow, what the hell is that thing' look from riders is pretty cool though :thumbup:

adavi491

Reaction score
Visit site
That is so true concerning the "what the hell is that thing look". I have yet to see another FZ6 on the road in my area as well.

I think it's just like a car. You role it fast enough with the ignition turned on and the engine switch on, put it in second and pop the clutch when you are going like 5-10mph. If i understand batteries he may have lost the amount of cranking juice so i think the rolling start will only work if he has some amount of battery life left. You are pretty much bypassing the starter.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have an '08 as well and have not had any battery trouble... when was the last time you started it?

also, how DO you do the rolling start or whatever it's called when you have a dead battery? my motorcycle instructor threatened us with having to do that if we left the battery on when taking breaks, but never told us how it's done.

p.s. what a weekend eh mid US coast people? i must have seen a hundred bikes out. yet in the year i have owned my fz, i have yet to see another one. the 'wow, what the hell is that thing' look from riders is pretty cool though :thumbup:

Try and find a slight downhill, if not you can do it on the flat.
Turn the ignition on. Select 1st or 2nd gear..2nd is better.
Pull in the clutch and run with the bike, or freewheel if you are lucky enough to be on a hill.
Get the bike going at a good walking pace and let the clutch out fast.
NOW THE TRICKY BIT...as soon as it fires clutch in and a bit of gas to keep the engine running.
If you don`t clutch in and you give loads of gas your bike will run away from you dragging you with it and we will all watch it on youtube.

This will work on almost a totally dead battery.

You should all practice this at least once because you never know when it is your turn.

Steve

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Sweet Jesus, Steve. I think that you've just given really bad advice.

I have never ever heard of anyone bumpstarting a motorcycle by running beside it. As you say, there's far too much that can go wrong.

Especially when your technique involves pulling in the clutch and giving it a bunch of throttle as you are running along beside it. This is a recipe for disaster. It's easy to mess this up and have the bike become an unguided missile.

Bump start the bike by straddling it. You should already be on the seat and ready to ride when you start a bike this way. If you're short legged and cannot get the bike rolling while straddling it, then get somebody else to push you or find a hill.

Also, your weight on the motorcycle will help the rear tire get traction when you're bumpstarting.

Fred

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it on the flat by myself but I've always ran beside and then jumped on before releasing the clutch.

It helps if have a hill or someone else pushing.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never had a problem either Fred BUT I did give the warning that it can be tricky.

I hope the people on here are sensible enough to see it can be hazardous, which is also why I mentioned Youtube.

There is no point in straddling the bike on a flat piece of ground as it will not go anywhere. I can do this manoevre and have done it quite a few times, not just on this bike. I have never had any incidents and although I am not endorsing it, I am pointing out that out can be done and how it is done.

I pointed out it is better on a hill and easier yes you are right it is safer if you are straddling the bike and someone is pushing...providing you can find someone to push.

To keep myself in the clear...YOU ALL DO THIS AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

I assume you never tried it then Fred?

Whats that saying "Don`t knock it until you have tried it".

Steve

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I've been able to start the bike by straddling it and waddling it along. And it does not take very much hill to bump start an FZ6.

I'm not arguing that the technique doesn't work. It will work, if done right.

My objection is that things can very easily go wrong, and when they do, it won't just be a case of you dropping your bike and looking stupid. You stand a good chance of launching your motorcycle into the street, into a building, or into a person.

This method involves running beside the bike with it in gear, popping the clutch, giving it gas and pulling in the clutch again, while still running beside it. If you stumble, or if you are late pulling the clutch in, the bike will be gone from your control as it will be moving faster than you can run.

Robomac's variation sounds fine to me, which brings me to my summary.

If your motorcycle is running, in gear and not on the centerstand, your ass should be on the seat.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
I bumped the bike before when someone was pushing me, but since this was in the morning and people were rushing to work who would stop to help the pesky biker :-(

I have thought of running with the bike but the jump onto the bike scares the daylights out of me. if something happened to the bike i know the missus would say good riddance. See I am about 117kgs ang high jumping is not one of my forte.

Pushing up a small slope is an idea, but just going up a flight of stairs is such an effort, so God forbid if i was to drag the bike to the mount. I'd need the govt to bail me out after the small run. LOL

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it on the flat by myself but I've always ran beside and then jumped on before releasing the clutch.

It helps if have a hill or someone else pushing.

It is just a variation on the theme.

Fred I am not here to nursemaid people and I am sure they do not expect me to. If they are not confident in carrying out this manoevre then they should not attempt it.

I try all the other variations before running with it but at the end of the day I will run alongside it rather than be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with it.

I know I can do it.

Steve

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site

I've seen ONE FZ other than mine around here, at the dealer one day here in Woodbridge.

I replaced my battery this weekend, as well as the air filter. Bought the bike used and have no idea whether the battery was original, but its had to think about starting this winter, so i'd rather not take chances. Installed the leads for the battery tender/jumper cables while I was at it.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
I am also seriously thinking of replacing my battery. I got the bike last year in Jan 08 and the guy was saying he hadn't used the bike for more than 6 months except starting it here and there to check if it was still fine.

Today Tuesday I was going to have none of the £10 day travel card (gosh I use £15 per week for fuel) , train commuting nonsense so I woke up early to make sure I had ample time to bump start it as many times as necessary. I pushed it about 50metres to an incline. Once I got on the bike at just over walking pace, I turned on the ignition and put it in gear 2. didn't take more that 5metres to have it up and running.

I think I will practise bumping it on a flat road just in case the need arises.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I am also seriously thinking of replacing my battery. I got the bike last year in Jan 08 and the guy was saying he hadn't used the bike for more than 6 months except starting it here and there to check if it was still fine.

That there is the missing piece to the puzzle. The previous owner would start the bike and not ride it. The battery didn't have a chance to charge back up after each start. So he was storing the bike with a battery that was less than fully charged. That kills batteries.

Replace it, you'll be glad you did.