DEAD Battery at work! HELP!

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
I left the key in the ignition all day and the battery is dead. Can I jump start the battery with a car or are they different amps? Any suggestions? I doubt it will pop start.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
NOOOOOO....NEVER use a car battery!!!!

you can jump start it with a rolling start with the ignition turned on...try it, but make sure the ignition is in the ON position.

I had a dead battery on my SV at work before and I had someone push me (hold the clutch in while in 3rd or 4th gear) and they run pushing (push as fast as you can. Then jump on the bike while sitting (ie: push down the rear by dropping your ass down real fast to make more contact on the rear tire) release the clutch to engage the gear and give it some gas.

if/when it starts, make sure to pull the clutch in or you're gonna take off like a rocket lol, but it worked for meee!

I don't think I left anything out!

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to have people push but it still wouldnt start. Im trapped at work. So the batteries are different in a car?

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, the car battery is bigger and more powerful...could fry your fuses...I blew fuses using a car battery, then checked the forums and learned NOT to use a car battery.

call AAA...they can charge it. I have motorcycle on my AAA for an extra 10 or 20 dollars a year...just for this purpose.

I'm surprised jump starting didn't work.

W

wrightme43

Yes you can jump it off with a car as long as THE CAR IS OFF. If its running you can ruin the rectifier.

Bump starts are easy too.

Select second gear. Turn on key, turn on the red run switch. Pull in clutch. Get bike rolling good. Down hill is nice. You dont need any throttle, just drop the clutch and it will fire to life.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Did it do anything when you tried push starting? Made sure the ignition was in the ON position and the Kill switch wasn't flipped? It should turn over and sputter if you're doing it right...takes a few tries to get it right.

W

wrightme43

You can most assurdely use a car battery. It just has to be a not running car. Yes the tools under the seat will allow access. Bumpstarting is easier though.

W

wrightme43

No prob man. I will find the linky for you so you understand why and what it burned up, and how it happens.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Um, if the battery is totally flat, how is the fuel pump going to run? The fuel injectors are electric too. I did this (left key on) and if the fuel pump does not run, push start will not work. This is the one advantage of carbs. I hooked up my (bike) battery to a car battery (car off) and let it sit for 10 minutes, this gave the battery enough juice to run the fuel pump and build up some fuel pressure. Bike popped right off(after a good push).

W

wrightme43

Um, if the battery is totally flat, how is the fuel pump going to run? The fuel injectors are electric too. I did this (left key on) and if the fuel pump does not run, push start will not work. This is the one advantage of carbs. I hooked up my (bike) battery to a car battery (car off) and let it sit for 10 minutes, this gave the battery enough juice to run the fuel pump and build up some fuel pressure. Bike popped right off(after a good push).

Hella good point Wolf!!!!

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL! Im in south FL sweating like a pig from trying to pop start it! I had a friend come up and jump me. It started! LOL! I took off and got to the end of the parking lot (stop sign) and didnt give it enough gas. Its dead again. My wife is on the way this time to jump "me" and then follow me home. Fortunately, Im back inside at work in the air conditioning or else my out of shape body would be dead in the parking lot!

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I made it home but the battery is still dead. I turned off the bike and tried to start it again and it clicked. Looks like I need to charge it. Anyone have a battery charger they like that they would recommend? I need one in the garage anyway so I guess now is the time....

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
you can grab any 2-6 amp charger and charge overnight on 2 amp 3-4 hours on 6 amp ..
Greg A.
Some people will tell you have to have an auto shutoff .I in my opinion I believe you don't need that ,, but then again you did leave the key on all day lol

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

They shumacher charger/tender at walmart is fine. under $20. It does the job and is a well respected brand. Float charging is pretty simple electronics. You can pay triple to quadruple for no more performance. Includes clips and permenant mount charge plug with a fuse (SAE jack) that you can also use to power stuff when you ride.