de-cat with two brothers slip on

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two brothers slip on exhaust and was thinking about putting a mid pipe on and getting rid of the cat... does it make a big difference with how loud the bike will be?

if anyone has this done to their bike, it'd be very helpful!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it will be louder but you also risk going a little lean. There will still be additional CATs in the header. The ECM should compensate for some loss of back pressure but may not be able to make the amount of adjustment you'll need. Then you'll need additional fuel management which you should have professionally tuned to really know how your air to fuel ratio is behaving.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
come on, can someone please answer.. I really need to know if it's worth it
What are you hoping to gain from removing it? Do you have diffusers in you TB now? I have that system and found it to be too loud for everyday street riding without the P1X's. Tuned exhaust does not necessarily equal loudness. IMO I do not think there is much to gain from its removal unless your are looking at making it a track bike and then every ounce of dead weight is up for grabs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
What are you hoping to gain from removing it? Do you have diffusers in you TB now? I have that system and found it to be too loud for everyday street riding without the P1X's. Tuned exhaust does not necessarily equal loudness. IMO I do not think there is much to gain from its removal unless your are looking at making it a track bike and then every ounce of dead weight is up for grabs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'm just hoping to gain the loudness and I do plan on getting it tuned before I remove the cats.

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it will be louder but you also risk going a little lean. There will still be additional CATs in the header. The ECM should compensate for some loss of back pressure but may not be able to make the amount of adjustment you'll need. Then you'll need additional fuel management which you should have professionally tuned to really know how your air to fuel ratio is behaving.

when you say alittle lean, what exactly does that mean? sorry I don't know to much about bikes lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
when you say alittle lean, what exactly does that mean? sorry I don't know to much about bikes lol

By lean I mean your air to fuel ratio will be off and tend to go lean where you'll have more O2 and less fuel. The air to fuel ratio has importance in a few areas including engine health especially related to valves.

Volume of the exhaust will not increase performance of the motor and if done incorrectly can shorten engine life. :)

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
By lean I mean your air to fuel ratio will be off and tend to go lean where you'll have more O2 and less fuel. The air to fuel ratio has importance in a few areas including engine health especially related to valves.

Volume of the exhaust will not increase performance of the motor and if done incorrectly can shorten engine life. :)

yeah I definitely do not want that. if I get it tuned, will that solve all the air to fuel ratio problems?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah I definitely do not want that. if I get it tuned, will that solve all the air to fuel ratio problems?

If you use an aftermarket fuel management system like a PCV or PClll and have a pro tuner do it you should have a good A/F ratio. Generally it's not cheap. If you just do slip on exhaust, you don't really need all the extra tuning with aftermarket fuel management.

When and if you get a fuel management system, research to see if it will tune the lower RPM ranges of the bike. Some don't tune below a certain RPM like the PClll EX model. This can be restricted because of emission laws. Some units are intended for race only application for obvious reasons. :)

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
If you use an aftermarket fuel management system like a PCV or PClll and have a pro tuner do it you should have a good A/F ratio. Generally it's not cheap. If you just do slip on exhaust, you don't really need all the extra tuning with aftermarket fuel management.

When and if you get a fuel management system, research to see if it will tune the lower RPM ranges of the bike. Some don't tune below a certain RPM like the PClll EX model. This can be restricted because of emission laws. Some units are intended for race only application for obvious reasons. :)

well I wanna tune the bike to go faster ofcourse! haha but do you know the difference between a PCIII and PCV? I've heard mixed reviews about both!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
well I wanna tune the bike to go faster ofcourse! haha but do you know the difference between a PCIII and PCV? I've heard mixed reviews about both!

There's a lot of great information here. Welcome to Power Commander, Power Commander V, Power Commander III USB and Power Commander EX Fuel Injection Module The PCV generally has many more features for tuning including autotune accessory although I would much rather have a reputable tuner tune my bike for the same price. Honestly you're spending probably in the range of $600 for decent fuel management for a small gain of power and if you're on the track with it or it's your passion, do it.

When I did my FZ6 I only gained around 4 horsepower for the expenditure of
$600-exhaust. $280-PClll. $350 Dynojet tune and what ever a K&N filter for the bike at the time. Yes we kept the tune reasonable for emissions sake so I could have gotten more horsepower but I wanted a healthy A/F ratio for engine health. The bike ran great and if you asked me to trade how that bike ran for the money back, I would keep how it ran.

Here's how I see it. If it's what makes you happy and you have at a passion for it, do it, but do it with all the minimal cost and process in mind. Don't just put a fuel management system on the bike and guess that a dropped on map will match your bike. A 'close to your component' map is okay for a temporary solution but in reality, fuel management alone should be priced around $600 plus.

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a lot of great information here. Welcome to Power Commander, Power Commander V, Power Commander III USB and Power Commander EX Fuel Injection Module The PCV generally has many more features for tuning including autotune accessory although I would much rather have a reputable tuner tune my bike for the same price. Honestly you're spending probably in the range of $600 for decent fuel management for a small gain of power and if you're on the track with it or it's your passion, do it.

When I did my FZ6 I only gained around 4 horsepower for the expenditure of
$600-exhaust. $280-PClll. $350 Dynojet tune and what ever a K&N filter for the bike at the time. Yes we kept the tune reasonable for emissions sake so I could have gotten more horsepower but I wanted a healthy A/F ratio for engine health. The bike ran great and if you asked me to trade how that bike ran for the money back, I would keep how it ran.

Here's how I see it. If it's what makes you happy and you have at a passion for it, do it, but do it with all the minimal cost and process in mind. Don't just put a fuel management system on the bike and guess that a dropped on map will match your bike. A 'close to your component' map is okay for a temporary solution but in reality, fuel management alone should be priced around $600 plus.

Thanks so much! this was very helpful and now that's look at it, it is much more expensive than I anticipated for the little bit of horsepower I gain! not worth it, if I wanted to go faster, I'd much rather buy a real sport bike! but thanks a lot for the help

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much! this was very helpful and now that's look at it, it is much more expensive than I anticipated for the little bit of horsepower I gain! not worth it, if I wanted to go faster, I'd much rather buy a real sport bike! but thanks a lot for the help

Thinking about it you do have a real sport bike. I've seen people on a Ninja 250 staying with other riders with bigger sport bikes. It really is the rider!!!

I think if I were to get another FZ6 I would throw money at the suspension and get more performance out of the bike by taking advantage of the ponies that come right from the factory! You can do racetech (sp?) springs or an R6 front end etc. Lot's of great stuff that also inspires more skilled riding which is a plus in every type of riding you will do. :)

rjpennell24

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking about it you do have a real sport bike. I've seen people on a Ninja 250 staying with other riders with bigger sport bikes. It really is the rider!!!

I think if I were to get another FZ6 I would throw money at the suspension and get more performance out of the bike by taking advantage of the ponies that come right from the factory! You can do racetech (sp?) springs or an R6 front end etc. Lot's of great stuff that also inspires more skilled riding which is a plus in every type of riding you will do. :)

what will I gain from the r6 front end it springs? just handling and looks?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

There are a few different ways you can go with the front forks. You can re-spring with better spring rates and fork oil or do an R6 fork swap.

I'll let some of our other friends and members with better first hand experience than I have chime in on suspension work they've done... :)

If you blow a fuse, get a 12 volt test light and an Ohm meter and call me in the morning...... :p

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If you're still around here, there is thread containing all of the items discussed here - All DONE to a 2008 FZ6!.

R6 forks
R1 bars
R1 rear shock
2 Bro w/Decat
Timing Advance
Fuel Mod
Airbox mod
AIS block off plates

Also has a sound clip before and after the DeCat. Look to post 1 for links and details on R6 forks, R1 rear shock. 08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~