DB-Killers - In or Out???

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the new-style Scorpion exhaust end cans on my 2008 FZ6 and once I'd installed them I installed the DB-killers to make them quieter as I thought they were a bit too loud and disturbing to other motorists without the DB-Killers.

About a month ago I decided to try them again as the bike got a bit quieter as the engine ran in. I LOVED the sound! It was amazing. Unfortunately, I started taking a new way to work on the motorway and they were just too loud for me - even with noise-blocking headphones I wear when riding. I knew it would damage my hearing if I rode at 6krpms+ without the DB-Killers installed. I've since taken them out.

I made a list of pros and cons of having the DB-killers and thought I'd share it here. Some are more serious than others! :)

Pros:-
  • It sounds awesome without them
  • The bike is lighter ;)
  • It sounds like a "real" sports bike ;)
  • I no longer need to use the horn when cagers fall asleep in front of me at the traffic lights ;)
  • The bike is less restricted and probably has more power
  • I can now scare animals and small children whenever I want ;)
  • Cagers now are loads more likely to get out of my way when I come up behind them.

Cons:-
  • I'm more likely to get noticed by the police
  • It'll annoy other road users
  • It makes the bikes unrideable for long periods above 6000rpm
  • If I do get pulled over by the police, I can get fined etc
  • I feel bad about waking up the neighbourhood when I'm in it!

If you have any more serious or silly pros and cons to add please reply below...

Hatch81

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same exhaust you do. I don't own the db killers, I think you will be fine without them really, my bike is nowhere near as load as my buddy's Harley (Rienhart exhaust). After 4 hours on my bike the noise starts to bother my ears getting plugs soon for the longer trips.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the response to this. :( I thought there would be loads of funny comments added with reasons why after-market exhausts without DB killers are better/worse than quiet exhausts!!! :ban: C'mon people, make me smile! :D

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Pros:
- I no longer have to yell at a cager that pi$$es me off, I just rev the bike.
- The sound reverberating off the cliffs in the canyons makes me feel like I need a :smoking:
- The bike feels faster.
- I smile more.
- I find myself wanting to ride longer.
- Looks better.
- It adds at least +20 HP! :Flip:
- The girls :cheer: when I ride by.
- The guys :bow: when I ride by.

Cons:
- Sometimes the sound is so glorious I find myself losing concentration.
- Since it makes me take the long way everywhere I go, I'm perpetually late.
- I feel like a tool when I rev my bike sitting at a light, but it sounds so good.
- My neighbors know when I leave, and when I come home.:eek:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the response to this. :( I thought there would be loads of funny comments added with reasons why after-market exhausts without DB killers are better/worse than quiet exhausts!!! :ban: C'mon people, make me smile! :D

Maybe it's due to this.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16659-smog-fz6-geesh-4.html

I never thought people would have such a strong response to after market cans especially because there are so many types including louder types. I have Two Brothers Racing on mine and shelled out an extra $ 60-for DB killers. Just to be more responsible to my neighbors and it's not a track bike.

I've done some of the typical mods, K&N filter, air box mod, PClll and have it dyno'd. My cans are loud but I don't get on it until I'm out in the twisties.

I also quick shift at lower RPM's in town. There's no normal reasoning behind spooling that thing up in town and drawing attention to myself and giving other riders a bad rep.

Check out that link cuz there's some funny posts there. A lot of us couldn't stop laughing....

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same issue, I started wearing earplugs now simply to protect my hearing. The bike it really loud without the db killers, but with them in its too quiet. I have the Leo Vince exhaust, so what I have done is drilled out the end of my db killers, trying to find a happy medium. I haven't tried riding the bike since I drilled them though. If it doesn't sound right then they are just staying out.

Trebor

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, have been a member for a while but havent really had anything interesting to post so this is my first post...
I have an 05 FZ6n that had a Remus exhaust fitted when i bought it. The bike sounds really good (a nice bark/growl all through the rev range) however, i noticed that while trying to ride sedately, the bike was very jerky (the power seemed to be either on or off). at first (after reading comments on this forum) i thought it was just a characteristic of this model or maybe the TPS needed doing. Anyway, after checking on the official recall page i found that my particular model (vin no) was not on the list for recall. Anyway, i decided to fit some baffles to the cans so ordered a pair from Remus Australia. 4 weeks and $200.00 later (boy, did they see me coming lol) they arrived and i fitted them to the bike. Boy, what a difference, although they are a bit quieter (not much though) the power delivery has really smoothed out. the bike doesn't seem as jerky and it appears to be much more "user friendly". has anyone else found this? or is it just me...
I have no idea how to post pics, but have attempted to put one on a picture hoster (hope this works - if not, sorry)
My Bike

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Scorpions, a K&N filter and a PCIII installed. I downloaded the "canned" MAP for Scorpions, which considerably enrichens the fuel mixture at most throttle openings and RPM's. I did initially enjoy the sound and performance (more grunt at lower RPM's), but found the stink of the rich mixture (particularly after start up), the racket of the pipes in town and the backfiring on decel quite irritating after a while. I decided to order the factory DB killers for my Scorpions earlier this year, and finally installed them last month. It does take the healthy "bark" away, but they still sound quite lusty...just not as "hooligan". The backfiring has stopped, which I certainly don't miss...that got really annoying after a while. I also over-wrote the "Scorpion" MAP with the "Standard" MAP once the DB killers were installed...it's a somewhat leaner MAP than the Scorpion MAP, but a little richer than the OEM MAP. I discovered right away that the low-down power was diminished. A few weeks later, I downloaded the Scorpion MAP again and the low-down power was back, the bike ran smoother, and no backfiring. The DB killers stay in.
Time to get it properly dyno'd.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's due to this.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16659-smog-fz6-geesh-4.html

I never thought people would have such a strong response to after market cans especially because there are so many types including louder types. I have Two Brothers Racing on mine and shelled out an extra $ 60-for DB killers. Just to be more responsible to my neighbors and it's not a track bike.

I've done some of the typical mods, K&N filter, air box mod, PClll and have it dyno'd. My cans are loud but I don't get on it until I'm out in the twisties.

I also quick shift at lower RPM's in town. There's no normal reasoning behind spooling that thing up in town and drawing attention to myself and giving other riders a bad rep.

Check out that link cuz there's some funny posts there. A lot of us couldn't stop laughing....
This was meant to be a more light-hearted look at the noisy exhaust issue. abacall got it! :thumbup:

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my 2 bros without the db killers. my garage is underneath the block of units. first morning i started it up and set my neighbours car alarm off! had to roll it out before starting it from then on. I'd get to work and my ears would be ringing so I've put the db killers in. doesn't sound as good, but a year of that and i wouldn't be able to hear anything!

PAULED

Reaction score
Visit site
I am tempted to take them out just to hear the difference. And to be honest after hearing some of the harleys, which sounds like they have straight thru exhausts, I can't see why we would have problems with the old bill.

Also, we could put the DB-Killers under the seat just in case we do get stopped and reinsert if necessary.

Pro's:
They look amazing:rockon:
They sound amazing:rockon:

Cons:
The fat bloke (me) on the bike trying to look amazing:eek:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am tempted to take them out just to hear the difference. And to be honest after hearing some of the harleys, which sounds like they have straight thru exhausts, I can't see why we would have problems with the old bill.

Also, we could put the DB-Killers under the seat just in case we do get stopped and reinsert if necessary.

Pro's:
They look amazing:rockon:
They sound amazing:rockon:

Cons:
The fat bloke (me) on the bike trying to look amazing:eek:
Yeah I think the police should be fine with them as the cans are E-marked anyway. The main reason I took them out was the damage to my ears with two 20 minute motorway journeys a day. If I rode everywhere at 40mph I'd probably still have them in! :rockon:

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I think the police should be fine with them as the cans are E-marked anyway. The main reason I took them out was the damage to my ears with two 20 minute motorway journeys a day. If I rode everywhere at 40mph I'd probably still have them in! :rockon:

I had Remus on my 04 and with them out I had almost no mid-range although it was fine with them in.
Ive just bought Scorps for my 08 and if they sound as good as the Remus with them in ,then they stay in.