Day 1, hour 1, had to sign up

AJsarge

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all!

I was looking for an FZ6 manual online when I ran across this site, and fell in love (platonic) instantly. I've yet to find my manual, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

About me, I'm a C-17 Loadmaster in the USAF, stationed in Hawaii (I call Colorado 'Home') and get to travel. A lot. Love the weather, hate the roads, hate the firearm laws, and hate that I can't take my bike with me on the jet to other countries. Though despite that, I wouldn't call myself a real hateful person.

I'm no mechanic, and didn't even get the chance to take intro to automotive in High school, but I'd love the chance to learn how to keep my baby running smooth.

Speaking of which, she's an '09 FZ6, and I can't get you the exact details since it's currently 1/2 way around the world from me, sitting under cover in front of my dormitory. She's gathering dust, and probably (definitely) in need of a good check up/tuning/etc. Being my first bike, and said lack of skills, I could use some help and good guides for the weekly/monthly/other regular maintenance that needs doing. She's got about 2500-3000 miles logged (6 months lack of riding for BMT and training), been shipped across the pacific, and had the radiator replaced when the movers broke it.

img1137h.jpg

That's it, there. Back when it was still new, shiny, and hadn't been through a spill. You can see my late dad's '08 yamaha in the corner of the garage. Plans include getting rid of my head buffeting at high speeds, adding a mount for a GPS display, and I'd love to see how it looks without the front fairing.

201001008.jpg

That's me, before I joined the military, and back when I still wore that jacket. I've got a better fitting one now, and a nice reflective orange vest to go over it.

Anything else I can add? I doubt it. This is definitely shaping up to be a go-to website when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum! My mom and dad were married in Hawaii.
My brother moved there in the early 70's and was back to the mainland in 87.

Like the bags on your bike!

Great people here on this forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy our big family! :D

AJsarge

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all!

The Manual isn't quite like mine back home. I figure if I can go for 6 months without the bike, I can handle 2 (only 1 left!). About the Head situation...Once I get up to speed, The noise gets rather loud, and I have to actively keep my head stable. Funny thing is, if I stand up, or even sit up, a little all the movement and all the noise goes away. I don't know if this is the wind screen sending the air in the wrong direction, or what. It's probably my #1 to-do, along with the tune-up.

-Throttle's a little loose at the bottom end. It takes a small movement before it engages.
-There's a 'clunk' in the shifter that I'm seeing others talk about. No factor so far if I start the bike with the kill-switch in 'Off'
-It'll be sitting for 2 months. It needs a bath, and replacing the fluids can't hurt.
-I'm seeing so many mods on the forums that I can't decide what to do first! Too bad I'm missing a lot of the tools required and the contacts to do some of the custom work.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About the Head situation...Once I get up to speed, The noise gets rather loud, and I have to actively keep my head stable. Funny thing is, if I stand up, or even sit up, a little all the movement and all the noise goes away. I don't know if this is the wind screen sending the air in the wrong direction, or what. It's probably my #1 to-do, along with the tune-up.

Ah yes.. this is one of the reasons why so many of us converted our bikes to streetfighters. I've played around with several screen options and just could not find a way to get rid of the noise and buffeting.
Streetfightrer solves that issue fully, but cold rides on highway become really rough.
The easiest and reversible (but not the most attractive) fix is to simple remove the screen.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: to the forum. I was stationed at Schofield and worked on Wheeler, Depot level airframe repair on helicopters :thumbup:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: To the best forum on the net !! there's always someway to entertain your self with this forum!! if not make another thread !!! theres allways The Bar section to just shoot the breeze and show us cool stuff you find on the www :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: